Saw video thread

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's smart to see what the competition is doing especially when you'll be selling hundreds of them, so I wouldn't be surprised if he did.

I could care less about gas used, I just want to get the work done faster. And more power can help run a larger sprocket, which can greatly improve mpg. My muffler modded 2188 would get about twice the run time with an 8t and aggressive chain over a 660 with 7t.
Yah , I didn’t sell him the Saw 😝... believe it or not SOME guys DO care about mileage especially guys falling for a living - hence the fastest saw that uses the least fuel gives the most production in that application

Here’s ol Harvey from Canisteo NY (bout 100mi from me) working on a mastermind built Saw ...

Like that guys videos. Old school and manual tools too.

He’s built a few saws for Buckin Billy Ray and BBR speaks highly of his work ... Husky 266 with a unconventional tubed exhaust - looks like a runner

Last edited:
... did this yesterday morning before the snow/cold/wind came to lovely WNY !

I run STIHL chain which is (to the best of my knowledge) the hardest Rockwell of all chains manufactured ... seems like it was doing a number on the bar rails so I milled the slot in the STIHL bar (too short stock) and used an adapter (the Husqvarna bar slot is smaller width wise than the STIHL ) ... nice having STIHL on everything plus the STIHL bar is thicker and more robust ! Husqvarna 24” bar for sale!!!!:D

Wow, Frankie... She cuts eh!? I wanna get some vids up of my Madsen's ported 95 pretty soon. Funnest saw in the world hands down.

Nutball: I'm really impressed by all of your Echo work. I'm a big fan of the 355. Don't like the new little kid saw as much. A 193 will wipe the floor with it.

A ported 2511t will wipe the floor with a 193t. I've compared them before after removing the screen and opening the muffler deflector a slight bit on a 193, it was a couple seconds slower with noticably less torque than a ported 2511t that wasn't even as strong as I make them now. They won't replace a 35cc though.

How's fuel consumption on your ported 2511? I've been reluctant to do much with mine due to the small tanks. I already have to refill a lot, and I wouldn't want to increase that by much. Not that I'd be porting it or anything, but maybe modding the muffler. All I've done is taken out the spark arrestor so far.

B638EFC2-E5B8-4063-B444-B729F454E3A0.jpeg One of THESE ??? tractor supply $199.99 special ? Oh your poor lad ....

I think that's the 5020; bigger than mine. Mine's the 4218. Got it NIB at a pawn shop for $75. It's my office saw that replaced my stolen ms362. I didn't want to keep good stuff there anymore, but my brushcutter's in the office since I got two of them. Don't need two at home.

My first saw was an older version of what I now have. It's alright. I think people give them too much grief. It is what it is, and they cut wood fine. For not much more than a Stihl b&c, you get a whole working saw. They're perfect for homeowner Joe who only uses one a couple times a year. Properly cared for(good luck with that!), it should last Joe a lifetime. For twice as much money, you can get an echo cs400, and that's probably the better choice if you're even halfway serious about cutting. Can't complain about them though. You at least get what you paid for, and maybe a little bit more.

How's fuel consumption on your ported 2511? I've been reluctant to do much with mine due to the small tanks. I already have to refill a lot, and I wouldn't want to increase that by much. Not that I'd be porting it or anything, but maybe modding the muffler. All I've done is taken out the spark arrestor so far.
I feel like it is appropriate, but it is a small saw with a small tank. I haven't noticed needing to refuel it by an inconvenient amount, but I try not to only cut big (10-16") with it which will run it dry quickly. I've found it best to port them for torque, that helps them to run strong at a low rpm, less rpm means less fuel consumption over time.

... get yourself an older 064 or 066 and mod it ! 25” bar/chain goodnite Irene!

Might be considered “antique” by some ... I’ll take em everyday of the week and twice on Sunday 😉

Frankie, have you tweaked on an 044 Stilh? Mine is scary strong, with just a little muffler opening. I bet under a proper hand, that model might be among the best ever.

The 044 was Hans Peter Stihls’ baby and was (STIHL is ) an excellent Saw even by today’s standards ... I’d like to get my paws on one as I’m certain it could be made to run very strong ... The “old school” design of that series (044,064,066 etc ) allows for considerable gains in torque

You also have to consider the condition of the bottom - end .... the LAST thing I wood want to happen is to mod a Saw for a guy and have it fail due to crank bearings / seals / crank ... someone wood be throwing rocks at me ! Easy enuff to split the cases and replace any questionable components ... I kind of prefer to build new saws for this reason ... the 064 was an exception as everything was tested and tight and could handle the x-tra performance NO problem-0

Back