Safety forum

cory

Tree House enthusiast
I came to TH from TB and its great here.

But I think it would be great to have a safety forum here like "Awakenings," what do you all think about that concept??

I'm not against safety by any means, but I don't think a separate safety forum is necessary here. All of our work discussions involve safety to some degree, and they are distributed in a few different forums. But the prevailing atmosphere of this forum is more like hanging out after work chillin with your buds and discussing the day's events. It's not really a strict classroom atmosphere (although a wealth of information abounds).

I don't want to see this forum turn into the type of place where the 'safety Nazis' attack every single work related thread and pick apart the poster's pictures and/or job description with admonitions of "You don't have two hands on the saw" or "Why didn't you have two tie-ins on that cut?".

You can pretty much guarantee that if you posted a serious awakenings-esque thread it would get treated respectfully.

People will tell you where you f'ed up, too...but it'd be treated like a real thread.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That makes sense. But one thing that I like about a separate forum where all the incidents are in one place is you can click on the forum and just read thread titles one after another of guys falling, getting cut, electrocuted, crushed,chipped, etc and be quickly reminded of the potentially extreme danger that is present everyday in treework.

Cory, We 'fess up to one another pretty often here. While I see your point about having a collecton of hazards and horrors, I really prefer the natural way these things are addressed in the house.

Safety First!

Safety never takes a holiday!

What that guy said!

I think we here are different about safety concerns. Most folks make use of best work practices and follow the regs, if someone goofs up and has an accident (Wiki defines this as: "An accident is a specific, identifiable, unexpected, unusual and unintended external event which occurs in a particular time and place, without apparent or deliberate cause but with marked effects.") then the situation is looked at and commented on. Sometimes in a nice, namby pamby way, sometimes in other ways. :shifty:

If someone is working in a stupid, dangerous way, be prepared to hear about it. ;)

But one thing that I like about a separate forum where all the incidents are in one place is you can click on the forum and just read thread titles one after another of guys falling, getting cut, electrocuted, crushed,chipped, etc...

That sounds a tad macabre, eh?

That sounds a tad macabre, eh?

Yes, but it is macabre, isn't it, what goes on nationwide if not worldwide with the injuries and deaths involved with tree cutting, both by pros and amateurs?

Well, there ya have it... this is the forum the PROS hang out on.

We don't need a separate safety forum; we can chat about it in the existing forums. :D

It is a good idea as a separate repository, but then bad as it sifts it from the mainstream and not part of the Natural order. This place has a different balance.

I gotcha, thanks for the insights.

Really Cory, I think having such threads and talk in the generally used areas makes it MORE likely, not less, that it will get attention.

I don't read anything in the Awakenings. I'm a pro... I'm well aware what the dangers are (including the danger of getting too used to the danger!).

What part of CT ya from?

fairfield, ct

...and just read thread titles one after another of guys falling, getting cut, electrocuted, crushed,chipped, etc

I think there is therapy available that will help with that urge :lol:

I'll admit it - I have a certain voyeuristic fascination with the descriptions and pictures that get posted in the awakenings thread at TB. But I'm with most everybody else on this - I think its better to lump safety issues in with everything else and not separate it. It's more like real life that way.

thread titles one after another of guys falling, getting cut, electrocuted, crushed,chipped, etc

I almost forgot, add suffocated, and for good measure, run over.

Back