S Bend

TDCTPO

The Treehouse Debt Collection and Tree Preservation Organiztion.

What will we do next?

Barberchair on not, I wouldn't want to be anywhere near that stump when it fell. Ever fall a big dogleg tree? Crazy ass bounces, I had a red oak bounce at least 15' in the air and land right where I was standing seconds before. It woulda mashed me.

Late to this thread, too much fun at the WCGTG and the FS climbing instructor workshop last week :).

IMO, barberchar is not likely. And without a doubt, wild bounce should be expected...but there is no reason to be worried about that. You should be 30 feet away from the stump with you back pressed against a good sized stem when it hits the ground.

For that matter, imo that should ALWAYS be where you are when a felled stem hits the ground.

I'm curious Burham, when you walk away from the stump, do you back away or just walk a way normal like?

I've heard that you shouldn't turn your back to it but I like to see where I'm going.

You should have two escape routes already planned, so no real need to face them. Back away from the stump!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
And without a doubt, wild bounce should be expected...but there is no reason to be worried about that. You should be 30 feet away from the stump with you back pressed against a good sized stem when it hits the ground.

I agree. These days I have a lot of trouble moving quickly. But it is amazing how fast a body can move when God's playing whack-a-feller with a big ugly stick. :O

I don't consider myself a faller, just a climber that has felled a lot of trees. Planning your exit route and observing the entire situation pertaining to the fall of the tree should protect you.

I have never been one for messing around the base of a tree I am felling too long. Sharp saws, decisive movements, decisive cuts and get out.

I am actually surprised and impressed on how many of you guys would save this tree, being the hardened, woodsworkers you all are.

Dave

I've fell lots of similar trees. I never liked having to because you can't get a single marketable log out of them. The foresters targeted them and it always proved to be a waste of my time. But I will add, a few of those tree were real head scratchers trying to determine where their CG was. And then being blocked by the standing leave trees.

Having a face cut aimed straight up in the air and then sawing a back cut the same can not keep a wedge in if you needed it. I would gladly have left everyone if it were my choice.

I'm curious Burham, when you walk away from the stump, do you back away or just walk a way normal like?

I've heard that you shouldn't turn your back to it but I like to see where I'm going.

You should have two escape routes already planned, so no real need to face them. Back away from the stump!

I don't walk, no kidding, I move as quickly away as the ground conditions allow, run if possible. In my world, there is absolutely no way one could back away, you'd trip over something for certain. I try to have the escape route end behind a substantial tree if possible, and I want my back to it on the opposite side from the fell before the one going down hits the ground.

I'd rather be 15 feet away behind a big stem than 30 feet away in the open, without a doubt.

Contrary to Butch's advice, I almost never prepare 2 escape routes. That would mean one of them would be across the back of the stump, which is a killing zone to be avoided like the plague.

And out in the brush, "prepare" is the correct word...escape paths usually must be brushed out and cleared of debris to be considered usable for the intended purpose.

Please don't cut down that tree , that would be a huge loss..

I used this thread as an example of what makes a good tree guy to my number three climber today. Tree guys see a tree on the side of the road or in a picture on the web and there brain automatically starts to puzzle out what hazards it poses, what's the best plan of action and what can they expect to go wrong and how can they mitigate those bad possibilities. I didn't mention to him that once you start doing this that it is very hard to stop. My best/worst moment was when I caught myself staring at a painting of a tree in the waiting room at dentist's office. I was climbing the painted tree in my minds eye and pruning it.

Lots of interesting discussion on this. Still to me looks like a easy fell and if you're worried about the wild bounce wiping out or rubbing up leave trees then chain the butt to the stump. No biggie.8)

Escape routes could bring up interesting conversations .

I only have had one barberchair and it kinda scared be .Since then the chains go one.

I had one big hickory that spun on the stump. Which way to run and feet don't fail me now .:O

Escape routes could bring up interesting conversations .

Pretty basic really. Have a route and a alternate route lined up everytime you fell a tree. Heck even in wide open yards I know exactly where I'm going to go when the tree starts to go. Picking and using escape routes is the basics of basics with felling, if you don't it's a rookie maneuver imo.

Yep, I take my planned escape route as soon as the kerf starts to open. I walk away fast and frequently don't see the tree land because I keep walking fast until I'm way far away. I don't like backing away because I can't do it fast enough for my taste and I'm often going over variable ground where I need to watch my step.

I don't have an alternate route. I've got this thing about changing my mind or hesitating... it's bad, I don't do it unless something goes very wrong. If I couldn't take the planned route it I would have wing it.

Yep it's basic basics and doesn't have a thing to do with yon s curve tree .

How some ever broad canopied hard woods in close proximity can do strange things when they go over and catch a limb in another tree and walk the stump . You have do idea where they are going except most likely it won't be back on you if you are lucky and fleet of foot .

The son of a brick could however jump the stump and come back on you like a ton of bricks too . All I can say is when you move don't let the grass grow under your feet .

It only happens once in a blue moon but it will make you soil your BVD's if it does .:\:

It sure doesn't take much to keep a tree from going over at the beginning of a fall, just a little brush from another tree.

I don't have an alternate route. I've got this thing about changing my mind or hesitating... it's bad...

Boy, I agree with this. When it's time to jump, jump.

Burnham, your advice about setting your back against a tree reminded me of this time when felling some pretty good sized eucs, one of the guys hid behind another tree, well off to the side, when the tree started to go.

Unfortunately, in this circumstance when the tree hit the ground, it exploded and a dog-leg branch bounced, wrapped itself around the tree he was hiding behind and got 'em. Thought I hit a girl the way he was screaming. But he was ok, just venting. (Brother-in-law at the time...)

I personally like to observe EVERYTHING that is happening. As long as we are talking trees, not bullets, in order to avoid danger you need to see it coming.

Dave

Just goes to show you, Dave...there are no absolutes and no matter what you do to mitigate the hazards, once in a while it doesn't matter one little bit.

But in felling trees out in the brush, I still maintain that watching the tree as you retreat is a fool's errand. Pick 'em up and put 'em down...get far away from the stump, or get in a well sheltered location, one or the other.

If you are quick about it, you can still take a peek once you reach your safety zone...but that comes second to a speedy retreat for me.

We've all felled trees with a bit of head lean that require you to stay in the hole and bring the hinge up parallel...if that's the case I never see the tree down, I'm still running when the thump comes :).

I highy respect all of your words and recommendations, Burnham. I would put money on the fact that you have leveled many times more trees, let alone hazard trees, than I.

Working in the bush as you do, you just don't have the luxury I have in the private sector, which is to charge more for mitigating the hazard. :D Whereas you just have to do 'em as you see 'em; the good, the bad and the ugly.

Dave

Falling eucs Dave? Are you another ex-Californian like me or do they actually grow in Montana?

Back atcha, Dave. I've never seen you make a post that was off the reservation...you know what you're doing.

Different circumstances decree different methologies, at least to some degree.

Falling eucs Dave? Are you another ex-Californian like me or do they actually grow in Montana?

Sheesh, I don't why I bother with all the mental anquish and stress involved in filling out my profile, :what: but yeah...I can't think of a better place for a young climber to start out. The diversity in Northern California in relation to tree species is off the charts. Trimming and rigging large trees in close proximity to high end estates means even in the learning process, things had to be done right.

Hooking up with Ed was also one of the luckiest things that could have happened to me. He's noted for his lowering device for sure, but that is not what defines the man. Innovative and original thinking was the norm.

Dave

Back