Russian proverbs

cory

Tree House enthusiast
@Maximalist

I had no idea where to post this. Max previously confirmed that "The morning is wiser than the evening" is indeed a cool Russian saying or proverb.

I encountered the following parable and was curious if Max has heard of this one too.

I come from Russia, where there is a fairy tale about two frogs in a can of sour cream. The frogs were drowning in the cream. There was nothing solid there; they could not jump from the can. One of the frogs understood there was no hope, and he stopped beating the sour cream with his legs. He just died. He drowned in sour cream. The other one did not want to give up. There was absolutely no way it could change anything, but it just kept kicking and kicking and kicking. And then all of a sudden, the sour cream was churned into butter. Then the frog stood on the butter and jumped out of the can. So you look at the sour cream and you think, 'There is no way I can do anything with that.' But sometimes, unexpected things happen.

This is one of the many Russian folk wisdom. The basic idea is that if you get into an unpleasant situation, you need to fight for life, no matter what, even if the chances are completely absent. Cory, what region of Russia are your ancestors from? ( Russia is the largest country on our planet )

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Um, my people is from siberia

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I went in yesterday, first time in 2 weeks, 6 min @ 41*. My beat up back and other ailments felt 💯 afterwards. The cold water is powerful. And it improves my already good sleep.

Back