Russian dashboard camera's - a different perspective

Wonder what the deal is that changed things so drastically?
Simple, self obsession. The very same reason why facebook is so popular, it gives people the chance to boast about how great their lives are....doesn't even matter if its true or not. I saw a guy wearing a t-shirt the other day that read something along the lines of 'I wish my life was as good as I pretend it is on facebook'

When strangers come to my town they get upset because everyone waves to them and says "Hi". Then they ask me what's the deal, as if they are worried that we might be up to something. We still hold the door for people and help little old ladies. Partly because the old guys will still put a boot in your ass if you dont.

That could be a key point, Jim. All the crap that they teach you in school plus the useful things, still the important wisdom from older lives instructing younger about behavior, to some extent that link has been broken, it seems. Maybe people are too busy with other stuff than to take care of that. It's not like it happens so often, but I won't hesitate to tell some kid in my neighborhood if I think he needs some correction about a behavioral issue. People will say to me, you shouldn't do that because you never know what they will do. Such has become quite a common approach, or rather a non approach. A culture where older people are afraid of informing younger, now that is a very sad thing.

Really, Dave, all the heroes and roll models have been tainted and show their true colors, like Lance Armstrong.

They took the rulers away from the old Catholic women so they got really good at twisting ears. The old men all had a huge middle knuckle from thumping kids on top of the head. I spent most of my formative years with my grandfather, not because I had to but because I wanted to. He taught me a lot. When mom got me cleaned up enough to go to town, I went up and down the streets visiting old people, just listening to the stories of the past. Some were old cattle barons, some were veterans, some were sheep herders, some were sod house wives, some lost their mothers on the back of a wagon on the sixty mile trip to the doctor during labor.
Probably why I am so old fashioned in my thinking. My folks were near forty when they adopted me, I have been around older people all of my life.

Maybe the kids today need an "old man" app for their phones. Jay is right, the link has been broken.

I agree Jay. Good role models seem to rarely be those who are popular.

Many other things seemingly provide an excuse for this trend also, like economic conditions, lack of a common enemy that instills enough fear into folks to cause them to band together, feelings of entitlement, and the like.

What it really comes down to is each individual, and there is no external excuse, I think. Everyone has a choice to make and more seem to choose "me first" every day. I'm astounded by the people who have stolen form, broken their word to, or taken advantage of just myself in the last couple years. And I mean people I've known for many years and never would have expected it from them. It's very disappointing to see the increase in self centered, dis-honorable people, to say the least.

I think part of it is that the biggest "role models" for young people today are a bunch of ghetto n......

Rap and all that shit made the worlds kids dream about being cool gangstas.
I mean, we have middle class boys here that dress and act like they were blacks from the slums of Detroit.

What is the world coming to?

I should probably cry " Oh tempora, oh mores" just to show that I, at least, come from a generation that was well schooled:lol:

Over and out from this grumpy old man.......................!

When I was young, my role models were hippies.
Whole 'nother thing.

When I was young, my role models were hippies.
Whole 'nother thing.

But I'm sure people in their fifties and older viewed them (hippies, skinheads etc) as a sign of the deterioration of decent society just as you view these plastic rappers, in 20 years time these boys will be estate agents and middle management.

I disagree to an extent. The hippies had some quite literate spokesmen that could explain the movement in terms that could make non hippies at least partially understand some aspects of the newer culture that weren't exactly arising from degeneration. Some of those spokespeople also weren't hippies themselves, and they might be wearing a tweed sports coat and a tie. At least Harvard doctoral students could show that low IQ wasn't so much the causality. The whole thing kind of turned into something rather bleak however. The hippies did have quite an influence on a number of aspects of what had been the general culture, before, "Tune in, turn on, and drop out", became a widely accepted theme amongst young people, including such revolutionary concepts as going to war and shooting someone or getting shot up yourself, all for unclear purposes, may be something that should be open to questioning.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
We live in the best times ever. Life is just getting better all the time. There have always been stupid ignorant people, and always will be. I find the majority of people I interact with to be friendly and helpful, be that out in the sticks or in the big city.

When I've visited the US, I found the people to be friendly and hospitable to a fault. Over here I've seen / attended several road traffic accidents and always there is a surfeit of people stopping to help or assist.

Life, and the world, is what you make it.

Stig, I'm sure Roman Matrons and the Equestrian class complained bitterly about how standards were slipping and how this new Epicurian craze among the youth was sure to be the downfall of civilisation.

I think if you reread my post, you'll see that I was kind of laughing at myself for posting it.

We live in the best times ever. Life is just getting better all the time. There have always been stupid ignorant people, and always will be. I find the majority of people I interact with to be friendly and helpful, be that out in the sticks or in the big city.

When I've visited the US, I found the people to be friendly and hospitable to a fault. Over here I've seen / attended several road traffic accidents and always there is a surfeit of people stopping to help or assist.

Life, and the world, is what you make it.

This.

I like going through old year books and asking what happened to the ones I don't know. I find ones who dropped out because they were pregnant, in jail, going to to prison, and such. This was from the late fifties and early sixties.
Some truth to what Ed speaks of. Sorta hurts to say that but.............

Back