Alone TV series

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Starvation and isolation seem to be the biggest challenges.

Some folks can't catch enough food or enough different kinds of food to yield a relatively balanced diet. Lack of fat in the food is a big problem. One guy got a moose and so had more meat than he could eat but a wolverine stole his bucket full of moose fat which caused the guy to be steadily loosing weight by the same means as rabbit starvation- all lean protein with no fat.

Another guy had a decent amount of varied nourishment- lake trout and rabbits, but he freaked out and had to return to civilization to see his wife and family, the day after he said he was definitely going to be the last man standing.

It made me wonder about people in solitary confinement, how they deal with it when some folks living alone in the beautiful wilderness can't take the isolation.

I suppose discomfort and the stress of the unknown contributes to the contestants issues, whereas solitary prisoners have little unknown. But of course that could be brutal too.

So just figured out the last one I watched was season one. The winner was Alan something. We picked him as the most likely from the start. Level headed, realistic about his family and separation, working with his environment and he had a sense of humour!
The young fella, Sam who came second, he surprised me a bit, but his shelter was shit! The flapping and banging of his tarp in the wind and rain did his head in at the end.
Season two began yesterday...placing our bets.
It would seem, the ones who go into it from the start hoping to 'find themselves, or heal themselves' don't last long. When 'finding yourself' or coming to terms with some personal stuff comes up along the way, they seem to do better with it.
Easy to say watching from the comfort of my warm home with a full tummy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Good call Bermy.

There's some cool wildlife footage at times. Watching today, a woman was about 30' away from a giant bull moose with full rack as it walked into the frigid water of this huge lake and proceeded to swim to the opposite shore.

It was a sight to see. Of course she was not happy she wasn't carrying her bow at the time, though I can't imagine killing a giant moose in say, 4' of ice water, would end well for the solo hunter.

Watching them slog about in the rain and wet looking for flat spots for shelters, I'm thinking HAMMOCK!
Off the ground, sling your tarp, start a fire, and spend time later to build something more substantial

Back