Rope recommendation for SRT with Hitch Hiker

SouthSoundTree

Treehouser
I'm used to climbing on Poison Hyvee. I like the size over 11mm, and could go larger if a pantin and basic work well with. Largely, I climb SRT, with maybe less than 5-10% on Ddrt. What hitch cord complements the HH with your rope of choice?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You have any other rope you like better?

I will have to track down my hitch cord variety pack I once ordered. I think I have some HRC. Thanks.

I think Poison Ivy works best with HRC. 6-7 wraps to start. Tight.

This is my current favorite setup. Pink Poison Ivy, 6 wraps of HRC. Smooth and reliable. Once it's set it doesn't need any adjustment. The HH stays on the rope until it's time to put a new hitch cord on.

I've heard good things about the Cougar Blue climbing line for SRT, but haven't tried it myself. TreeStuff has it.

This is my current favorite setup. Pink Poison Ivy, 6 wraps of HRC. Smooth and reliable. Once it's set it doesn't need any adjustment. The HH stays on the rope until it's time to put a new hitch cord on.

I've heard good things about the Cougar Blue climbing line for SRT, but haven't tried it myself. TreeStuff has it.

I was thinking pink this time.

Broken record here, for the most part...the relatively limited time I've been able to set aside for experimenting with the HH, I've been real happy with Poison Ivy. I like the Beeline hitch cord Paul included, but have had good results with both HRC and perhaps even better in my opinion, Ultratech. Might give that cord a spin.

I hadn't even thought of using a polyester covered rope (Ultratech) with the HH, thanks for the idea Burnham. When I was using a standard VT system I came to the conclusion that plain old double braid polyester cord outperformed all of the fancy high tech stuff, just needed to be replaced more often.

What the the Burnam dude with all his experience and wisdom said.
I also have no issues with the HH on Big Foot or All Gear Safetylite with the beeline.
I will be sporting Blue Moon with it soon on both the Beeline or UltraTech. For the high trees.
Switching between the 7/16ths and 1/2 ropes with the Beeline is pretty straight forward. UltraTech I hjave to change the prussic a little with a cross over. I weigh 160 # before geared up. The UltraTech is the 5/16ths

For whatever reason, perhaps the wear issue for the cover not making real economic sense, Ultratech has not been so popular with the rank-and-file as my positive experience with it would have lead me to expect. I never really was all that concerned with the $$ aspect of it, since I really liked the way it worked.

I always looked at the high tech core as a "fail-safe" for that love I've always had for fast rappels :).

I actually appreciate the low melt point of the cover... Works great as a prussic on rigging. You pull a tad too tight the cover melts but does not damage the bull rope. And like you said.. the core is bullet proof. The price and the break rating got me to try it. I fell in love with how well it works.

I like the PI, but have often wondered about the Imori. A little bigger, and a bit grippier. 2.4 percent elongation at 10 percent mbs. I couldn't find a spec on PI, whereas bluemoon is 1.4 percent. I think PI might be similar.
I am planning to buy a screamer for the basal anchor for my HTP. I've been not using it the last couple weeks, as I realized I should probably put a shock absorber in for safety with all the remote sets, and for cinching up at the trunk, I would have very, very little rope in the system. If I"m trunk cinching right at my waist on a conifer removal, I don't need the low stretch nature of the HTP.

Check that snake anchor it might be a better choice because the Yates screamers are rated pretty low.

Its all unnecessary. A single leg of static line has similar absorbtion as doubled arborist line. With a base tie its even more. Add in redirects and it increases again.

Here is Kevin Binghams transcription of the data Petzl presented at the TCIA SRT Summit.

when climbing SRT or Ddrt system the force applied to the top anchor is approximately 50% greater than the weight of the climber

When climbing on a SRT with a base anchor, the force applied to the Primary suspension point is approximatly 50% greater than the force applied to the top anchor when climbing on an srt or ddrt system

falling on an SRT with base anchor will genertate a longer free fall and deceleration compared to falling on a srt and Ddrt with top anchor.

falling on a Ddrt system can generate 60% to 70%higher forces on a top anchor point (and on the climbing system and climber) compared to the forces generated on a primary suspension point when falling on a SRT with a base anchor.

Now most of that data applies to the PSP, or tie in point but it translates to the climber as well. With SRT your weight, or the force of the fall is applied to ONE leg of the rope. On DRT that force is applied to two legs. This is why we use higher stretch rope for DRT climbing as the rope only sees half the load per leg and needs to stretch more.

Make sense?

Check that snake anchor it might be a better choice because the Yates screamers are rated pretty low.

The snake anchor is brilliant but in a situation where the friction is distributed along the tree in a few different points or even just at the anchor for a base tie the amount of force to break the stitching will be enormous , i also thought that it would be a good shock absorber or failsafe but another climber who had been talking to joe harris explained that in the testing it took a huge amount of force to break the stiching.
using it as a psp up in the tree would be good but with the added friction of going over one or two forks and base tying will make it a lot harder to break.

26kN breaking, greater than 2kN to activate, greater than 550 pounds of force. If its never necessary, it won't ever get used up.

The snake anchor doesn't do anything that a piece of 1/2" rope won't. I use a munter/ mule knot/ overhand tie-off frequently as my base-tie/ lowering system.

Yes, Nick, its probably unnecessary. Often I'll get a conifer with one PSP without redirects that absorb force.

I just got a 200' hank of blue moon and I absolutely love it. I've heard it's the same as poison ivy which I've never owned. It works great SRT and drt so it's perfect for me.

jp:D

The snake anchor is brilliant but in a situation where the friction is distributed along the tree in a few different points or even just at the anchor for a base tie the amount of force to break the stitching will be enormous , i also thought that it would be a good shock absorber or failsafe but another climber who had been talking to joe harris explained that in the testing it took a huge amount of force to break the stiching.
using it as a psp up in the tree would be good but with the added friction of going over one or two forks and base tying will make it a lot harder to break.

That makes sense I have never used one and am just going off of their sales pitch.

Back