Rope Bend Forces

• Thread starter TheTreeSpyder
  • Start date
  • Replies 31
  • Views 8K
Heck yeah ...
So its true , when we set up a pull line and tension it as hard as we can (.ie as hard we want)
The we pull down in the center extremly hard
We are ,in fact, increasing the load on each static point rather drasticaly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The shortcut is fine, another view. but whut if ya can't see the whole length, or you are peering down it's length... Especially as we take this to sweating more purchase from a line, roughly having the scale in head, and sorting on the spot, what you are feeling and seeing, why it makes more sense, when to watch out etc. Perhaps a lot to grok at first, but the payoffs when ya get on the ohter side of it sum..

Fer me, understanding whut is going on, and being able to take it to the next level is important too. Next would be taking this science of flexibles(rope) leveraging and then pro-gressing to same exameynations in non-flexibles(steel i beam) and gradients in betwixt(wood) levergings. Also the hidden, microchosm of forces inside of knots, ruled by the same maths.

Also, the sine/cosine scale is very important, shows up many, many places. Even like the fades and feel of winVista Visuals i think are on more of a curving / cosine scale to give a more organic feel and presents IMLHO(kinda like the warmth of analog vs. digital music). Even linear movemeant (or lights flaching etc.) animations look better, more real set to this curve scale of change, rather than robotic, more sterile/ less Natural, jerky same rate of change per second.

Forces on a clothes line, or sweating purchase from a line are the inverse math, these X impacting are some of the potentials on a speedline.

Amazing the increase between 160 and 180 deg.

A little slack can make alot of difference

One of the most powerful things of all this is the rope leveraging. One of the most powerful uses of this leveraging is sweating more purchase from a line; as de-scribed by Brion Toss in tales of men at sea for months at a time and losing or breaking a capstan winch's lever/handle. How all would perish with out electricity,motor power in these Dark Ages, and now not able to catch the wind... Whereby you take a tightened line and bend it to raise the tension, then snatch it through it's frictions as the bend is coming out. In ths way, you have taken/purchased more line to the slack side, leaving less line on the tensioned side. This will raise the tension, take out more stretch and/ or move the load. It is also called 'Swigging'.

Another great use is tie downs. Pretighten the lines as much as possible to increase their bending resistance for higher leveraging, then bend'em. i've also maid a T-bar on a line i couldn't bend for this. Tightened the T-bar, then leveraged it, which in turn leveraged the original target; sometimes that is too much power! Of curse if the target then moves or reseats, ya might have to start over.

Sweating, remote sweating, climber sweating

Line Tightening for Tie Downs

Attachments

• sweatingToss-Adkins.JPG
    sweatingToss-Adkins.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 10
Amazing the increase between 160 and 180 deg.

A little slack can make alot of difference

180, of course, is impossible. Spydie's little program needs an error trap to indicate that fact. Perhaps, instead of showing a bogus number, as it now does, it should simply say "'Rope Breaks!"

The stretchiness of the rope plays into all this, and hasn't yet been mentioned. If I have two ropes of different stretchiness, I can get more "leverage" out of the stiff one. Conversely, a stiff rope is in more danger of being broken by this kind of treatment, because the load more efficiently creates tension in the line. Maybe Spydie will enhance his little program to allow for rope stretch. We enter the load to hang from the clothesline, the program shows the final rope position and shows the angle of deflection. No more illegal 180 degrees! How about it, Spydie?

Ummmmmmmm; i'm well aware of the 180 impossible force deal as a classic; and had it where you had to be less than that or get error, but then allowed it, as a classic....

The stretchiness does play a part, which brings into play the length of the span as well as the rope characteristics(to make up the elastic response at forceX). The leveraged force gained by leveraging can by expressed as the force/ distance reciprocals. Either raise the tension in the line, move the load, or stretch the line(both as distance conversion to not allow/escape / relieve tensioning).

But, if such and such a pressure is exerted and the rope is bent to degree X; the calculator will give the force faithfully. If the elasticity stretches to give up distance rather than force, the Angle will be more closed/ more distance/less tension per the load at bend. But, at that angle and pressure, the amount of tension would be quantifiable. For wherever it settles is the needle of balance of such and such an input force through angleX yields outputY, forwards or backwierds, as the pair of calculators show matching entires with one pull initiated on the end and it's reciprocal on the bend.

Back