Rope Access work

lonniels

TreeHouser
Just wondering how many arbs do rope access work as well. I have been looking at exploring other climbing jobs and wondering how to get started. Are the Irata courses the way to go?

Wasn't there a guy who used to post who moved into ropes access...I'm sure there is a thread somewhere.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wind turbine, tower work. Also thought movie and film production work would be cool

I worked on towers for a while, you dont need IRATA, SPRAT or a highschool education. Just low self esteem and the ability to put a value on your life that aint very high.

The work was fun for a while, but it soon becomes repetitive and soulless. The climbing becomes the worst part and you soon loathe it, the rigging becomes predictable and uniteresting. The views are great, and generally its pretty quiet. The exposure can be horrible: heat, rain, cold, sun, snow, wind its all amplified 100x on the tower it seems. Generally speaking it means 15-30/hr, lots of travel, long hours, hotel rooms, and $25 a day per diem.

I would like to be able to go back and work maybe 1 month a year doing it, just to get the altitude. It could never be a career for me.

You paint a bleak picture. I am looking to diversify a little bit, i would never make it a career.

I hope it works for you. Jim Fairfield, fairfield on the Buzz, is big into rope access, but I dont think he works on towers.

It was a pretty bleak life for me.

I sent jim a pm on the buzz and will look into those tower postings. Thanks Nick, i had not checked craigslist yet.

Get your SPRAT level 1 to start. Find a good rope access outfit (Palo Verde, Vertigo, etc) It can be fun. You would be boggled by the infrastructure undergrou7nd in our country. Big, Deep places. Not all the work is up in the air. Much of it is well below the surface. Guys in AK do a month on month off. Decent to good money (much more than tree work)
The rigging challenges on some jobs is what appeals to me.

I've always thought it would be cool to learn ship rigging, that seems like pretty technical and challenging work.

jp:D

While in the U.S. Army, I found myself taking great interest in vehicle recovery operations. Removing a very heavy military vehicle from the bottom of a deep ravine was something that taught me a whole lot about heavy rigging techniques. I've relied on that training many times over the years, but on a much smaller scale. The military training manuals dealing with vehicle recovery operations are loaded with excellent suggestions and rigging techniques that can be applied any time a vehicle ends up stuck, or worse.

Joel

Thanks wiley, i checked on sprat training and there is an outfit in Bend, OR that i am going to call. That is interesting about the undergound stuff. That would be cool.

I think SPRAT/IRATA stuff looks interesting, but you certainly dont need any of it for Tower Work. If you are interested in tower work check out ComTrain and wirelessestimator.com

DO you know how to weld? I have heard there is some pretty awesome money in confined space/rope access welding.

Just an update on this thread. I completed SPRAT level 1 training in Canmore Alberta in September. It was awesome! I can't wait to turn it into some work. I learned alot and i think it is like being a certified arborist, passing the test is just the beginning of the learning.

Back