Root Pruning Kit

NickfromWI

King of Splices
I want to put together a kit/toolbag of things to have available when removing/fixing girdling roots. I've done quite a bit already by using whatever tools I have available to me- pruners (which get sharpened a lot!), hand saw, then the rest are crude tools that shouldn't be near the base of a tree (hammer...screwdriver...).

I'm thinking having a chisel or 2 or 3 available would be nice. And 2 brushes...a big one to move handfuls of soil at a time, and a smaller more precise one for cleaning out crevices between roots so I can fit my pruning tools in there.

Are there some obvious things I am missing here? What size/shape chisel would be best? I'm thinking something short would be easier to handle. Also, most chisels are shaped like this: ] on the end...and maybe one shaped like ) would be better?...or like the ] but with rounded edges?...then, I've seen some that are scooped (like if you cut a drinking straw lengthwise)...

Any thoughts? What do you use?

love
nick

I don't have a rounded chisel. I use a 1/2 chisel and go through several times at different angles to get a rounded effect. I would add some sort of clawed digging device.

I use....

A root pruning saw,
1/4", 1/2" and 1" woodchisel set
small mallet
small hand trowel
small gardening claw
3 piece brush set
kneepads

I keep it all together in a small wooden crate

One thing Ive been meaning to add to the kit is an ergonomic hand trowel, (the one Rainbow tree sells)

I was over at the U. of Minn. website checking out something and they had a little section on root collor excavation using a garden hose with one of those wet/dry shop vacs. I don't know how good it would work but sounded like a good idea at least for the smaller trees. There was some other tips there too.

pulaski? I have a mini pulaski type thing, felco #4 (the old ones), silky root pruning saw, I think its pro sentei? maybe gomtaro with the funny blade, a couple of plastic hand trowels and a hose end sweeper nozzle (directs the hose water through an opening about 1/4" wide).

I was over at the U. of Minn. website checking out something and they had a little section on root collor excavation using a garden hose with one of those wet/dry shop vacs. I don't know how good it would work but sounded like a good idea at least for the smaller trees. There was some other tips there too.

Ive considered the shop vac.....

Gomtaro 240mm dual blade, fine and coarse teeth . :) but the one you show is probably fine Nick. its a saw you need to admit is going to get beat up cutting in dirt is all I figure.

I start with a 200t. I;'ll be showing a vid of it in use on a chestnut root friday morning. seminars are boring, HAH!

nick a chisel with a right angle can be useful. A loppers is essential. why dull your felcos in the dirt. seldom have the angle to stroke a saw.

I lost my root pruning saw, but it was very different than the silky. It was a very rigid blade, no flex at all, and had a very sharp point for good ground penetration. Worked nice for cleaning out the little tire pokers on the atv trails.

My low tech improvised root chiseling system consists of a fiberglass handled Fiskars Hatchet that is SHARP an my axe for driving felling wedges. Set the Hatchet blade where the cut need occur and tap on it with the back of the Axe. Voila! Beautiful cleavage.

small short handle (12")hoe
small short handle(12") maddock
1/2" - 3/4" chisel
fine and hard bristle brush
felco number 4 old style
claw hammer

most important tool is a camera so when I give public talks I can show pictures and remind arborists that if they want results above ground they gotta work below ground

small short handle (12")hoe
small short handle(12") maddock
1/2" - 3/4" chisel
fine and hard bristle brush
felco number 4 old style
claw hammer

most important tool is a camera so when I give public talks I can show pictures and remind arborists that if they want results above ground they gotta work below ground

yeah the brush is good to have. re claw hammer if the claw is straight it is more useful. i will try posting the vid here
nah its too big:big-tongue4:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Though I know the $8 set from the hardware store would work fine, I found these chisels I like: http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/11345 I like that they are shorter (I guess that's what make them "butt chisels?"

Guy, you make a good point about the straight clawed hammer. I've used the claw as sort of a pick axe to break the root apart so I could pry it up. It would have been a lot easier with a straight clawed hammer sharpened like a chisel.

love
nick

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's one of the things I am wondering...Do I want fine teeth or large teeth.

They do have one version that is supposedly resharpenable...but honestly, I don't see myself settling down for a 2 hour session with the silky and a file.

The other thing I liked about this little yellow one is that it's only $26!

love
nick

if you want to spend Silky price, have a look at this one Nick: http://www.silkysaws.com/gomtaro240rc.htm
gomtaro240rootcut.jpg

Back