rock climbing shoes?

treesandsurf

Treehouser
I know there's a few rock jocks here... They probably wouldn't be too comfy for standing in spikes but what about pruning jobs? Seems they would give a bit more 'grab' on the tree??

jp:D

Attachments

• d_388.jpg
    d_388.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 225
No way. They are designed for grabbing on ROCK hard surfaces. Not to mention that they are best worn very, very snug. Nothing you could do for a couple hours in a tree.

Some approach shoes might work

aHR0cDovL2EyNDguZS5ha2FtYWkubmV0L2YvMjQ4LzI2MzAvMncvd3d3LnBhdGFnb25pYS5jb20vdHNpbWFnZXMvNzk0NTZfNDE3LmZweD93aWQ9MjUwJmN2dD1qcGVn

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Never say Never~! These look kind of cool:

Attachments

• 79542_395.fpx.jpg
    79542_395.fpx.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 224
I know a couple climbers that wear those style shoes. One of them is a former Florida ISA climbing champion.

I couldn't wear them. I have wide feet and just looking at those pictures makes my feet hurt! :whine: However, I do wear hiking/ backpacking style boots with and without spikes. My last pair of Montrails were some of the most comfortable I've found. My current Asolos are even lighter but the right boot has a bad pressure point due to misalignment in the stitching or something. It folds and presses down into the top of my big toe when I walk. I'll be going back to the Montrails next time.

Asolo FSN 95 GTX Hiking Boots
95b69bd6-f503-41d1-89e4-cb6aee54db7d.jpg

Montrail Torre GTX
MON0001.jpg

Lowa Tempest Lo

6900-349936-d.jpg

Best gripping light shoe I've used. Excellent for footlocking.
I don't like hi tops. I use and old pair of Vasque Hiker II's for spiking... I'm talking old, bought'em in 1981.

I've used Fire's (however you type that... fee-ray) for pruning before, gave me a serious case of hot foot after a couple of hours.

I deffinatly do not ware rock climbing shoes in trees,, UNLESS I want to show off and climb up using no spikes and crimp on bark.
Rock shoes are to non supportive for a real working day in the trees, but you can do some impressive chit standing on a tiny tiny nubin / branch end.
Its all about the bark.
If the bark is solid, then climbing shoes are so fun, but if its shaggy and loose to heck with them.:\::\:

I always wanted to try out the felt sole shoes for climbing. Here is one of the Cabelas model.

Attachments

• cabelasfeltsole.jpg
    cabelasfeltsole.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 126
I used to climb in these if I was between classes. They weren't bad if I laced them up tighter then I usually wear them.

Attachments

• b2eb6503_brow.jpg
    b2eb6503_brow.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 124
I used to climb in these if I was between classes. They weren't bad if I laced them up tighter then I usually wear them.

If you worked for me you would not work that day if you showed up wearing those.

I see guys wearing street shoes sometimes doing tree work.

It tells me that they are not thinking clearly. Would you wear flip flops while driving a motorcycle? If you say yes, or even maybe, then you are not thinking. Tree work requires thinking.

Not for serious work... you kind of need to understand where I was working. I used to go to a work college, and the schedule revolved around classes. Sometimes, I would come to work not intending on doing anything but ground work or something, and it would just be a few new crew members, me, and a stuck line or something. So... I'd go up and reset the line, etc... I never actually worked in them. Sawdust loves to get in lowtop skate shoes, which sucks. So, with maybe one or two exceptions where I pruned a branch or two out, I always just ran up and ran back down in them.

This thread is a crack up as most here have no idea what a rock shoe feels like.
Cozy and warm and you can stand on a dime edge.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Anything that isn't conventional usually gets criticized.... at first!

I have noticed that the rock climbing shoes slip very easily on wet smooth bark.
Thats why I am thinking of getting the felt soled boots. Wish they made them in rock climbing style shoes.

Some competitor glued the felt soles on a pair once for a climb in the rain

Anything that isn't conventional usually gets criticized.... at first!

no offense....but come on. I have been rock climbing since 88.....would not wear them in a tree. Try a "big wall boot" hybrid rock shoe slash boot. You can resole shoes with sticky dot rubber/

This thread is a crack up as most here have no idea what a rock shoe feels like.
Cozy and warm and you can stand on a dime edge.

I'm going to seriously date myself here: I could wear my Altias all day long. If I kept my Lazers on for more than 45 minutes, I'd be in pure agony.

Scott

Nick,

Felt soles are the de facto standard for waders that are used in rocky, mossy rivers. They grip like nothing else when it comes to slime, putting even the rubbers designed for water shoes to shame.

Scott

Back