RIP D. Douglas Dent

• Thread starter beaker
  • Start date
  • Replies 91
  • Views 11K
:lol:

I'm just about certain that vid was made here on the Mt. Hood NF. Where/how did you find it, Jameson?

Believe you're right, B. Found it on my weekly prowl on YouTube for falling videos.

I dedicate this post to the memory of Douglas Dent with this 1979 Chain Saw Age article.

Attachments

• image0-002.jpg
    image0-002.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 42
I am willing to bet that the reason for the expense, on the high side, is because of the relatively limited number of copies sold, coupled with the expense of the filming, editing, duplicating process of the times. 16mm film, then most likely he had to hire an editor, add sound and narration, then send it off to a film house to create a master (probably in a large city (S.F?)). Then there was the duplication to vhs, which usually has a minimum order, adding labels, etc. The whole process was very expensive and time consuming; just to break even to get your production money recouped. These projects are generally projects of passion, hoping to make a small profit to justify your endless hours of commitment and 2 a.m. script writing, and edit sessions. These days, you can do everything on your laptop, at home. IMHO.:)

I followed some rabbit down some rabbit hole to this old thread on the news of Doug Dent passing from a sudden stroke at the age of 66 or so. Ten years gone now. Brought back a load of memories of the man. Gods above, he could be a gold-plated SOB...but never ever was there a better big tree timber faller, nasty tree poised to kill you bucker, and interesting man to sit with and hear stories from. If he figured you had the chops, he treated you OK...I guess I made the cut, and that is something to feel a lot of pride in, in my old age.

This vid is still hiding in the youtube, though I had to detective it out...you are welcome :D.

Back