Ring Install...whats the trick?

No_Bivy

Treehouser
I have tried to install the jug over the new piston/jug kit but I am having trouble. I broke one trying to compress it inward....:X. What am I doing wrong...it was simple last time I fixed my 036, but now it seems to be a PITA. Is there a trick to get the jug on? I know...I am a :what:

Try trimming a piece off an aluminum can to make yourself a small ring compressor. Wrap it around the piston and rings like a sleeve and slide the jug over it. I'd say trim it to wrap about 80%-90% of the way around the piston. Once the jug is over the rings then slide the piece of aluminum out.

Is the ring notch lined up with the alignment pin in the piston? Is the oreantation right, top to bottom?

If all that is right, I can ussually use a thumb and finger to compress the ring enough to get it started into the cylinder.

Two rings on the 036, right? It can be a hassle sometimes.

My method is to get the ring started into the jug, then take narrow pointed sticks and press the ring in around on each side, working toward the locating pins, as the jug settles down. I use bamboo skewers actually. If there is any resistance, STOP and check that the rings haven't shifted away from the pins.

like andy said, some pistons have a tab that the rings must align with, if you can make them compress by hand then either theres no tab or your lined up right

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
like andy said, some pistons have a tab that the rings must align with, if you can make them compress by hand then either theres no tab or your lined up right

:? the little notch in the piston? I'm a retard. I broke the last ring by trying to compress it. I don't understand the alumin can thingy brian, can you splain abit more?

Cut a piece of aluminum out of an aluminum can about 2"-3" square. Put the rings on the piston, making sure they are oriented correctly and the ends are lined up with the alignment pin in the piston groove. Wrap the aluminum around the piston and rings like a sleeve (think of a coozie on a beer bottle). Trim it down until it will wrap almost all the way around the piston. Wrap it around the piston and squeeze it by hand (or even use a rubber band) to compress the rings. Slide the jug over the sleeve until the rings are inside the jug, then slide the sleeve down and remove it.

I have a real ring compressor for automotive size pistons out in the shop. If you need I can go take a picture of it so you can see what you're trying to imitate.

the alignment marks? whats that...doh

for real yo....I'm retarded. I got lucky on the first saw rebuild I guess

Look at the groove in the piston closely. Follow it all the way around until you see a small pin partially blocking the groove. That's the alignment pin.

Now pick up the ring and look at the ends. Are they cut off square or angled? If they are angled, then install them so the angle matches up with the alignment pin. The pin will not be centered in the groove so it will be obvious which way the rings should fit.

Thanks Brian. That makes more sense. I'm off to have a look at my mistake.

Hey John, Brian's idea works well. Make sure that the ring land pins are not under the rings, as Andy said. I use two cycle oil and coat the cylinder, you should be able to side the piston into the cylinder with little effort.I had a simular problem a few weeks back and broke two rings. I found a smalll burr on the side of one of the intake ports. Hope things work out for ya, let us know how it works out.

Oh by the way make sure the arrow on the piston is pointing toward the exhaust port.

Brian's shop tip of the week will work. Just to take it a tiny bit further make sure there are no jagged edges where you cut the can. These sharp jagged edges could scratch your new piston in a very critical area as you work the cylinder down over the piston.

The plastic ring compressors are the best. For a one time job the pop can compressor will do the trick. You can compress the ring with and your fingers and very slowly slide the jug down. Another way is to get part of the ring in the cylinder with the cylinder at a slight angle and slowly work your way around the piston seating the ring with your fingers till it seats down on the pin and the jug slides down over the first ring and then repeat for the second ring. The catch to this is you have to have the ring lined up at the end where it mates to the pin, but it does work. You just have to go slowly and have a good light to work by.

Don't twist the jug as you work it down. Keep it straight. Twisting the cylinder will get the end of the ring hung up in a port and then you have trouble.

You can never use to much lubricant when you are fitting a new piston into a cylinder. The saw will smoke like hell when it finally does fire but it won't last long and won't hurt it either.

Good luck.

On another note, You might need to rebuild another saw later. Go ahead and buy the plastic compressor.

I have always been able to compress them with my fingers. Its really awkward trying to do all that at once and keep everything from flying all over the place. Makes it even worse when everything is covered in two cycle!

Success.....the rings were on upside down..DOH!...anywho, 036 is running. It seemed simple again. 046 is next soon as I get another ring set:cry:

Back