Renting your Chipper out

Altissimus

TreeHouser
...outgrowth from the chipper knives thread. Who does, who doesn't, why...with owner as operator, without ... is it worth it...what if sumfin' breaks, who pays...discuss

I had a mate who used to hire it out to one specific guy, he said the 2 days a week he took it covered the payments for 2 years.
I used to hire the big tracked one from him, but we had worked together with it so I knew its foibles.
Would I? .....No

I won't here in CA/ Liability is too high a risk.
Also, people here tend to try and chip old dirty hard wood. Bad news for a chipper. Most rental places stipulate NO manzanita, buck brush or mountain mahogany. But guess what?..........

Nobody is going to take care of your stuff like you would. If it's to people who have worked for you then maybe, but who's to say they're not going to bring 5 more guys jamming stuff in the hopper with their feet. I'd just offer to have them stage the brush and go by and chip it yourself and charge accordingly.

I have done it with both of mine and it is great, money wise.

I don't live in "Sue the pants off of everybody when you have screwed up and gotten yourself hurt" land, so liability is no problem.
They sign a contract stating that they have read and understood the user's manual and any damage to the machine is on them, including dulled knives.

Never had a problem in the 10+ years I've been doing it.

I do give people a talk through when they pick the chipper up or I deliver it.
One thing I say is that it comes with new knives and I'll open it and check them when it is returned.
Also that chipping that last wheeelbarrow full of small stuff+dirt will probably cost them $100 since that is what ruins the knives.

I've had one stupid game reserve hunting guide ( Stupid kinda comes with the territory with those, don't get me started) run a bunch of wire fence through it.
At first he wouldn't admit it, but once he had thought about how many of the people he works with I know and would tell the story to, he paid up for the damage and meekly asked if we could kinda start over.
So I never told the story to anyone.

I would only do it with myself as the operator. Work's been slow and I have been trying to rent/sub my 12" diesel chipper and 1ton dump for 100/hr myself included and have not got any bites yet. To rent out such a machine on its own I don't think would be financially worth it with the wear&tear/damage/liability/headache etc.... The chippers at the rental places are usually POS for a reason.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
100 bucks / hr for you and equipment...a deal really....when I was making payments I often sold at 75 for me plus a. Seven inch Chipper my old Dodge was just a haul truck for machine at that price...as thaw approaches things will get better for New England Treeworkers....I used to bid the whole waste pile and had plenty of those Spring cleanups though market here has changed for the worse last five years , real estate is still in the basement which is a big thing in a resort town...slowly the market is improving and I even wind up getting some of the deferred work ... the Nine inch Bandit was 350 a day to rent so you are offering value w / a 12" plus operator and Dump trk

So long as you go out with the machine and are the feeder or are staying at the feed tray monitoring, I don't see it being a problem.

Seems like $100/ hour with truck and operator is a good price for a big machine, if the people either have an army, have easy access, or stage it properly if they've just cut a tree down or whatnot.

Back