Renting out wood splitter.

SouthSoundTree

Treehouser
Whaddy'all think of renting out a splitter to customers?

I was thinking that I could buy a splitter for ~$1500, and rented it for $50 per day/ $100-$125 cash for the weekend+, giving them a few days to get it done. Since splitters sip fuel, I'd maybe take high octane gas for them to use, so that I know that it is fresh, high quality fuel. Hopefully arrange to take it to the job with me, maybe they'd tow it back to me, or I'd pick it up. Very local, only.

I'd have it paid off pretty quickly. Local rental rate is $65 per day plus tax plus fuel.

I don't know if a wood splitter is easy to break or not. Seems like there would be a hydraulic bypass if it is overloaded. Keep the oil fresh and full and good fuel.

I don't have enough firewood to easily justify buying a splitter. I usually rent one once or twice a year. I don't like renting because we have to try to do it all in one shot, and return it on time. I'd rather split a little here and there, a convenience of owning a machine.

Recommendations on a splitter?

I'd like a splitter that can be wheeled into a backyard by hand, maybe with one of those trailer dollies.

I have done it and will do it again.

Main problem was people bringing it back on time,I would deliver it and they were to return it.Just buy the Biggest one you can,never under estimate the stupidity of the general population.

You might be able to do okay .As a suggestion though get a model with a study enough build to be robust plus having good enough axle and wheels under it so it can be towed .The cheaper models often have bushinged wheels much like a wheelbarrow .They don't do so well .

I do it all the time. Works fine. Big splitters are hard to screw up IMO.

Something else I do is when we have a big takedown and the client wants the firewood for him/herself, I'll tell them when I do the estimate that they can borrow a splitter, no charge.

I started doing it after I lost a big job to a competitor who did exactly that. His price was a smidgen higher than mine, but the free splitter made the difference.

Interesting idea and comments. Do any of you worry at all about liability? Do you do any training/sign-off beforehand?

I rent mine out regular, but only to trusteed customers. I sell it to them as a privilege at 10.00 a day under local prices and they use my gas I supply. Funny thing about people so far is they hardly even use the thing while they have it. :lol: Most folks are not used to working like we do. All of us handle wood or some facet of it all day every day for the most part. Dang thing comes back to me with barely a gallon used on a two day stint.
I have to be real careful who I rent mine to as I changed it to a two way detent valve. I will buy one more when it comes time for Joe Public to rent from me.

I always give a copy of the operating manual to the client and I have the same sort of " if I get hurt while using this machine because I'm a fuckup, I promise not to sue the owner" contract for the splitter that I do for the chipper.

Anyway, we are not Americans here, when someone get hurt, their first impulse is not to sue.

As far as the lawsuit business they all sleep in the same bed .Lawyers are usually eager to sue if the litigee has deep pockets .I don't but I do have a million dollar lability rider on top of the other insurance just in case .

Yeah I know it sucks but that's just the way things are .If you amass a little some SOB will try to get it if they can .

I can't say I'd do it myself.
For good splitters, look at Ion and Oak and American CLS, I want an American more than I can say, they are just tanks IMO! Timberwolf is another, but I think they are a bit pricey for what you get, others think they are the cats ass.

Back