refering competitor to a job?

atw

TreeHouser
A couple of weeks ago I looked at a nasty maple tree full of rot. Normally I would crane a tree like this, but there was no access. I carefully weighed my options and came really close to giving the cust. a firm bid. After carefull review I decided the risk was not worth it. Anyway, I just happened to receive a phone call from a competitor as I was driving away from the bid and told him about it. He decided to do it for $800. (about a 1/3 of the cost I would have done it for).
I know I could have done the job, but did not feel comfortable with it. At one spot of the maple I could stick my whole arm all the way through the trunk approx. 6 feet up from the base. Today I saw this description on his website.
The thing that is bothering me is I know I could have done the job and have the knowledge and experience to have done it. Am I wrong to have told my competitor about this tree, knowing he has a bit of a rep. for lack of knowledge from what I have heard through the grapevine? I don't personally know him, just what I have heard and only have talked to him a couple of times on the phone.
His link:
http://diglynden.com/tree-service-bellingham-wa-dangerous-maple/

I make my living working with other tree guys so my answer may be a bit biased. I think it is better to build working relationships with other tree guys rather than build up a "Us against Them" attitude. We all have strengths and weaknesses, and we all could use a hand once in a while. Why wouldn't you have a little give-and-take with a few select trustworthy competitors? Us little guys gotta look out for each other because sometimes you just can't do it all yourself.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Its not really a "us against them" attitude. Its more of a pride thing. We do get along great with most of our competitors. Only a select couple of individuals that I don't agree with. I just think it hurts my pride a little knowing I could have done it.

Sometimes it's not a matter of whether or not you can do it, but is it worth the risk. I did lots of jobs in the past that I would quickly pass on today. I no longer have as much to prove.

We pass on work to another competitor who is solid, when we are booked out and someone needs something done "yesterday". I personally wouldn't refer to someone like that. Reading his description of 'arms' and hitting the primary with a top, that is not a tree guy I would like to associate myself with. He got lucky, you got smart.

Good words from both Brian and Ian.

I would say that if it is a very sketchy tree, that I'd rather not climb, I wouldn't pass it on to a guy with little experience. He took approaches to two trees where he talks about going down with the ship. He admits to hitting a high power line.

It might be worth telling him what you would have bid, and that if he charges a good rate, he can afford some good training materials and classes (in a polite way).

Sounds like there had to have been a better way.

I don't mind referring people to some competitors provided that they are qualified. I just got a return-referral from one of them-- a job about 15 miles from me, 25-30 from him, which is not my ideal target distance, but okay, and much farther than his. Good relationships can be mutually beneficial. The challenge sometimes is seeing though some tree-guy-trash that are really just takers.

That person is going to come across sketchy trees whether you refer them to him or not. If you don't know the extent of his experience, I can see not giving the referral to save a potential accident, ala what Sean says. I can also see giving the referral along with the cautionary that you think it would be a risky job, but he might want to take a look at it. Looking at the job with your assessment in mind adds guidance for his own judgement. People don't get to be astronauts to experience wrenching on the side of the space station by refusing to do risky things.

I would never refer someone that I did not know or at least know them well enough to be assured they provide the same level of service I do.

I dunno Nick? Just watched your sycamore vid at TB............

I think your pruning is excessive and pointless, you clearly removed the apical meristem also. Maybe you should send me a copy of the work order, give me your consultants phone number, the clients phone number and I will school you all on how to do treework right here from my armchair.

:P:D

If I can do a job I do the job. There is no referring to a competitor. If I feel a tree is a true hazard I will not pass it on to the competition or call anybody that I know because if anything goes south I don't want that on my mind.
In my area I have built a strong biz and personal relationship with the tree guys in the area 'to work with and not against', some are small operators and some are big fish with millions in toys.

He said he was there last yr and didn't get the job. You said it would have been three times his rate for you to do it. I see it as a win/win. You didn't lose a job you simply passed it on knowing the inherent risks, and he was happy he got what he originally bid, and probably for less.
I give a couple jobs away here and there to a competitor knowing with his bucket and four man crew he can give a better price than I can. I understand the pride thing too. Chances are you may not have been as lucky as he was and all hell would have broke loose leaving you with a bigger headache than you bargained for. Move on to the next and hope hell return the favor.

Good relationships with competitors is the only way I roll. The dirtbags and stuck up dickheads get no respect or time from me. But otherwise I have a great working relationship with the solid established companies around me. They kick me some work, I kick them some. My chipper goes down, I can call on someone to bring one on my job and vice versa. We tip each other off to jerk offs and con artist customers, and we team up on large jobs now and again.

John, can I pay you for that consultation?

Maybe I will just send my unemployment checks to the Buzz guys after I get canned for climbing the tree, ringing a bell hanging from my throwline and coming down to dazzle the customers with stories of my victories in comp.

Back on topic though... I read that guys website, he reminds me of Murphy.

I would worry about his 'story' at all ATW, I would not however refer him any additional work. Its best to only associate with people you are comfortable representing you.

In a perfect arrangement after referring a job to a competitor due to overload or whatever reason they would refer future work back to you ina gentlemanly fashion, the point isnt that you are giving them a customer for life.

Just think if you were a daredevil yourself and friend of Evil Knievel. You could have become rich on the things that he considered too risky.

I make my living working with other tree guys so my answer may be a bit biased. I think it is better to build working relationships with other tree guys rather than build up a "Us against Them" attitude. We all have strengths and weaknesses, and we all could use a hand once in a while. Why wouldn't you have a little give-and-take with a few select trustworthy competitors? Us little guys gotta look out for each other because sometimes you just can't do it all yourself.

Well said.

I don't refer anymore. If I can't do it, like I can't right now, booked way way out. Then the customer can figure it out for themselves who else they'd like to hire. It's got nothing to do with me.

When it comes to woodwork and people want me to build something nice for a fee that is considerably below what I would normally have to charge, I give a non specific referral. I tell them that there are a lot of folks building stuff for such prices, and maybe point them in a direction with a broad sweep of my arm.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
thank you all for the input.
I pretty over it. He did refer me to a less glamorous chipping job, because he couldn't get his truck and chipper up the steep drive. So I guess it sort of worked out, not to mention the chipping job was for $1000. Just no fun in straight chipping, but I guess you have to take what you can get. Thanks again for all the feedback

A $1000 chipping job? If we rolled up to that, my guys would quit;)

Back