Receiver Hitch Rope Brake

Yah that seems heavy. My 99 chevy 1 ton dually crewcab longbox bigblock 4x4 only weighs 6,000lbs.

My Ford 1 ton with the sander and plow on it is 7,600lbs and that's 1,700lbs of accessories.

Ha what's the GVW on those Dodges, throw a chainsaw and a dog in the back sounds like you'd be overweight.:D

Yah that seems heavy. My 99 chevy 1 ton dually crewcab longbox bigblock 4x4 only weighs 6,000lbs.

My Ford 1 ton with the sander and plow on it is 7,600lbs and that's 1,700lbs of accessories.

Ha what's the GVW on those Dodges, throw a chainsaw and a dog in the back sounds like you'd be overweight.:D

Well, you got me thinking I better see if I know what i'm talkin' about, Justin. My Dodge is the 2500 ext. cab 4x4 with the 8.0 liter V-10.

The GVWR is 8800 lbs, max trailer weight 12,550 lbs.

I guess I don't really know what the standing empty curb weight is of my rig as outfitted with Warn 12k winch, tool boxes and tools, but if you subtract the max trailer weight from the GCWR of 19,000 you get 6,450. I'd guess it's about 7,000 currently outfitted, maybe some little bit less, so perhaps at some time I weighed it at 6600 and mis-remembered it as 7700 :|: . Anywho, that leaves me 1800-2200 lbs. cargo capacity, give or take.

ive scaled in over 12k before and have regularly pulled my chipper while weighing 10k

yup, any time ive got a load on and the scale master is gone ill whip through and check:)

Same as here the scales are always left on so you can pull through and check if they're not around.

i'll agree with Al's frictional area of contact theory; but also i believe if the

The 'pins' would be there to align rope (best if rope is more perpendicular to drum/ not at upward angle); and then perhaps at point of low tension (after several turns on drum) to lock off; like on boat cleat, fig.8 etc.

Upward angles are harder on vehicle traction, so if pulling over with truck, i think it is best to redirect low (and have log weight in truck). For when pulling over a tree; as you advance, you deal not only with the increasing rope tension fighting traction; but an increasing upward lift angle fighting traction. so would view best use as same here, this would also serve line into drum at perpendicular angle. Could then more safely pretension or even lift; then lower i think.

That gizmo would likely work .I don't think however I would try it tied off to my Ranger pick up.

It would rather embarrasing to have to call a crane to retrieve it out of a tree.:lol:

My old tree service in California had a tubular steel bumper with rounded pins for lowering. It worked awesome. We lowered off of it and used it attaching a pull off line to.

...not like those candy-azz Chevs and Fords :P .

Hmph, my 2wd, 5.7 liter V8, regular cabbed, flat bedded 1 ton CHEVY weighs 7klbs empty.

IMG_2584.jpg

22klbs combined:
IMG_2166.jpg

Nearly 26klbs combined:
IMG_2949.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cool. Sometimes you gotta be an outlaw...

Besides, you weren't going far... right? ;)

OK enough of this speculation, here's the scale numbers off of my 92' Ford 1ton 4x4 with sanding unit(empty) and plow on:

Front Axle 2150kg x 2.2=4730lbs

Rear Axle 1750x 2.2= 3850lbs

combined =8580-weight of sander and plow(1700lbs)=6880lbs

Ok so heavier than I was quoting my apologies, those are the actual scale numbers less than a week ago and the sander(800lbs) and plow (900lbs) are from the owners manuals.

Now I'm gonna have to re-scale my chevy when I get a chance, maybe I can't haul as much as I thought.

Carl your deck must weigh alot? And are your scale measurements with you in or out of the truck?:P

Hmm this means in theory with wet sand my loaded plow truck, no trailer would weigh 8,580 + 6,000 = 14,580:O . No wonder I forked up the springs.

I can recall several times our big chipper at work being scooted sideways a little with the winch.
BC1800 vermeer, sticker says 9600lbs. winch is rated at 2000lbs of pull on the first wraps on the drum. I don't believe scooting a truck around should be that difficult, especially if your pulling UP and off to one side.

Ok I'm lost.

Say a truck had a GVWR of 12,500lbs. The truck empty weighed 7000lbs, and lets pretend I had a load of 5500lbs. Would that mean I cant tow a trailer too because the total is 12,500lbs?

If thats the case, why would a truck have a rating of being able to tow lets say 10,000lbs, but that would put the truck at 17,000lbs.

Someone school me!

Ok I'm lost.

Say a truck had a GVWR of 12,500lbs. The truck empty weighed 7000lbs, and lets pretend I had a load of 5500lbs. Would that mean I cant tow a trailer too because the total is 12,500lbs?

If thats the case, why would a truck have a rating of being able to tow lets say 10,000lbs, but that would put the truck at 17,000lbs.

Someone school me!

The figure you want to look up for your truck is the GCWR...combined gross vehicle weight rating. That tells you maximum loaded truck and trailer together...on my Dodge 2500 its 19,000.

you could still tow. the gvwr is truck and pay load (including trailer tounge weight) not trailer

Good heavens,those pick-em -ups are heavy. My old '57 F-600 dump truck tipped the scales at a tad over 8 thou empty .It would haul about 6 or 7 ton though pretty good but snailing along at 45 miles per hour with a tail wind going down hill.

Back