Really wide boots.

Dave Shepard

Square peg, round world.
Anybody here with sasquatch feet? I'm wearing 12 EEEEEE boots, and I have a hell of a time stretching them out to fit. Looking for something wider.

Wesco took no responsibility for a poor fit on my last pair of custom boots from them. Might not have had as much of an issue with that had I not gone to a retailer, The Cobbler, who sold hundreds of pair of their boots and had him do the custom drawings and measurements.

Subsequent checking found that Nicks and or White and or Hoffman would take responsibility and make it right.

Old trick .Use a plastic bag that will not leak and fill it full of water and stuff it in the boot then freeze the boot .Might take several times but it will stretch the leather after enough treatments .
Fact I've done this to a pair of Red Wing "pecos" boots that had sat on a shelf in my garage for twenty years that never did fit correctly .They are getting there just need a few more treatments .Those damned things sell for about 200 bucks these days or twice what I paid for them in the day .

There's a bunch of affordable stretchers on amazon. I have a set of wood ones that are older than me, but I'm not sure where they are. I haven't used them in decades.

No matter if you use a set of shoe trees or ice you almost need to soften the leather .I use Hubbards shoe grease which has been around for maybe 100 or more years .You about have to find it on the internet because places that do cobblers work are just about lost in time like the village blacksmith .

I've had favorable results so far using olive oil on my leather(and wood). Supposed to be common practice for horse tack. Makes it soft, but perhaps doesn't last as long as treatments that contain wax do. I started doing that to simplify the stuff in my cabinet. I should probably try canola. I could then use my winter bar oil on my leather :^D

Cool ice trick Al. I've used that on dented SS water bottles. Found I had to finesse it a bit after I put too much water in one and let it rip seems open.

Didn't occur to me for boots. (The Cobbler tried his voodoo two different times.)

All this talk got me thinking .Maybe "Bag Balm " might work for a softening agent .It's made with lanolin extracted from sheep wool .What the H if it works on a cows teats it might work on a boot .

Bag Balm is an interesting idea. I got a can of it, but don't care for it on my hands. Too greasy, and it takes forever to wear off.

It might smell a little bit but it won't hurt you .This stuff has been around since 1899 used on a lot of things besides cows udders .As a kid I don't ever remember any time there wasn't a tin in the medicine cabinet .Both parents grew up on the farm you know .

--more--Dar had extremely dry skin and on a visit to a doctor mentioned the fact .His reply was did you ever hear of Bag Balm .Her reply ,yes my husband uses it on everything .Put some on your ankles at night and wear a pair of wool socks in bed .It was cleared up in less than a week .Fact I've dabbed some on Georgie Girl too for various things and have came to this conclusion ,natural blondes have sensitive skin .Certainly not the rhino hide I have .

Back