Reality TV Dirty Jobs Meets Ax Men

I was able to just click on their main page and get the episodes to play.
Congratulations Murph. Thank you for portraying tree work with more realism, humour and no drama.

Not terrible I suppose. Didn't try any of your crazy antics on tv I see. You did have two mishaps, cutting without chaps on the ground once and only being tied in once when using a saw aloft in another. Tisk tisk Murph, for one as knowledgeable as yourself you're slipping in your old age.

That was better than I was expecting. I'm guessing an awful lot of editing tho.
Did he really skinny up the tree and top it himself?

Good coaching there, Daniel. Pretty cool he got to take a significant top.

Good characterization of tree work presented...nice feather in your cap.

Yeah I thought it was ok, nice basic tree work. No drama
He must have been pretty with it to do that top by himself...was that his first climb, or did you do any preliminary stuff off camera?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That was both his first climb on his first day. And the first time he had ever used the chainsaw. Which I was a little bit disappointed about when I first heard it in the morning. But I just played it off like no big deal and we got this and didn't make any issues about it and it all worked out

Sign that guy up, if he can do that on his first day, he has potential!

I've known Tony for many years. We see each other at the local ISA events and arbor day etc... He's first class... Still not expecting any invitations.. think my work as seen on youtube is a little outside the box for the training systems in use today...

Well done, you got him through the show safely, seems not so easy a task I wonder how many people thought, "I have to try that".

I personally like at the 6 minute mark where there is talk about safety and there wasn't enough distance away from the fallen tree and a twig falls and hits the guy in the head. ;)

Nicely put together video.

Good job Daniel. I don't know if I would have been patient enough to allow a first-time Dutchman (there is a major cutting error named after the poor guy for crying out loud) up there, but the midget did well enough. Shows a lot of maturity to be able to to pull that whole business off.

That's great you know him. I met Tony in Mexico about 4 years ago when he spent a week with us ArborCanada instructors when we were doing a Train the Trainer course.

I loved training but no longer do it as I got small kids and a wife who works. But I definitely will do more later in life.
Maybe invite yourself by sending your crew to one of Tony's courses, then inquire if they offer trainer courses.

I would only go if I thought they were teaching something I didn't know. I remember when Scott Prophet asked if there was anyone that didn;t learn anything today after a presentation ISA Pen Del symposium. I was the only one that raised my hand and we all got a good laugh when he called me the heckler in the second row... I AM a believer that these training can be quite valuable even if you don;t learn anything 99% of the time. If you do learn one or two things that you use for the rest of your career it's well worth it...

Back