Random picks of CODIT

• Thread starter xtremetrees
  • Start date
  • Replies 78
  • Views 12K
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Mr. B I cant find your story about that climb here at the house, Ill keep looking I found it inspirational to say the least.

Nick so the roots do the opposite than the crown concerning O2.

and a grass IS NOT a woody plant. You should know that.

Just sit back, organize your thoughts into clear questions, and do the research. We will help if we can.

But think things through first, O.K.?

First:

Are you talking about CODIT? Or root growth? Or Gerry Baranek's tree climbing?

Sorry, I'll try to avoid derailing.

Sounds like you need to invest in some Shigo publications; check out modern arboriculture, a new tree biology and a tree anatomy and then you'll be schooling us!

jp:D

Robert, Remember that CODIT is an acronym (Compartmentalization Of Decay In Trees) and signifies a process/series of processes rather than a single action. Thus woundwood/callus formation need not be evident for other Codit processes to be occurring.

Go man Go!, Stumper. You are absolutely correct. Thank you for mentioning it.

Work done by Gilman et al. at the University of Florida shows that a wound's proximity to leaf mass greatly influences compartmentalization as well as wound closure." Wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CODIT

Work done by Gilman et al. at the University of Florida shows that a wound's proximity to leaf mass greatly influences compartmentalization as well as wound closure." Wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CODIT

Most of the processes of a tree are influenced by the available sugars, which originate in the leaves and other green plant parts.
The sugars are moved through the phloem, which can be compared to a sponge.
If water drips on one end of a sponge and the other end is in the hot dry sun, the water will move toward the dry end. If there isn't enough water, the warm end will dry out.
The same thing happens in a tree. If there is an injury, sugars will be used for the repair processes. If the sugars in the immediate area are used up, more will migrate from other areas of the tree. If the tree is under stress and low on sugars to begin with, the repair and defense processes can't happen.

If there are leaves near the injury, there is a good source of photosynthates, which fuel the repairs.

If the sugars in the immediate area are used up, more will migrate from other areas of the tree. If the tree is under stress and low on sugars to begin with, the repair and defense processes can't happen.

Trees will also 'bail out' and give up on a limb if that limb is not producing enough to support itself and also contribute to the rest of the tree.

Most of the processes of a tree are influenced by the available sugars, which originate in the leaves and other green plant parts.
The sugars are moved through the phloem, which can be compared to a sponge.
If water drips on one end of a sponge and the other end is in the hot dry sun, the water will move toward the dry end. If there isn't enough water, the warm end will dry out.
The same thing happens in a tree. If there is an injury, sugars will be used for the repair processes. If the sugars in the immediate area are used up, more will migrate from other areas of the tree. If the tree is under stress and low on sugars to begin with, the repair and defense processes can't happen.

If there are leaves near the injury, there is a good source of photosynthates, which fuel the repairs.

Exactly! That's why latent buds will sprout around wound sites.

Trees will also 'bail out' and give up on a limb if that limb is not producing enough to support itself and also contribute to the rest of the tree.

I'm not sure this is true.
The branch bails out on the tree, not the other way around. The fuel comes from the branch and goes to the tree, not the other way around, so the tree doesn't control the fate of the limb.

I'm not sure this is true.
The branch bails out on the tree, not the other way around. The fuel comes from the branch and goes to the tree, not the other way around, so the tree doesn't control the fate of the limb.

Sudden limb drop come to my mind.

Yes, 'fuel' comes from the limb's leaves when those limbs perform photosynthesis, but stored reserves come from the wood of the limb(s) and from the main trunk, which gets it from the roots.

Each part of the tree MUST contribute to the whole system of the tree. If one part is not contributing or if it is taking away (robbing nutrients) from the whole, that part gets excised so as to not threaten the overall survival of the tree.

I am a bit puzzled about this.

Sudden limb drop come to my mind.

Yes, 'fuel' comes from the limb's leaves when those limbs perform photosynthesis, but stored reserves come from the wood of the limb(s) and from the main trunk, which gets it from the roots.

Each part of the tree MUST contribute to the whole system of the tree. If one part is not contributing or if it is taking away (robbing nutrients) from the whole, that part gets excised so as to not threaten the overall survival of the tree.

I am a bit puzzled about this.

We know the fluids in the xylem move up. The phloem, which moves photosynthates, moves them down and horizontally into rays and out to cambium and bark cambium.

How much do they move up? I think very little, if at all.

Sugars stored in the roots get used by the roots, after all they can't make their own and they use them almost year round, even in cold climates.

My point is that the energy moves from the branch tip back to the tree, and not the other way around. A branch's survival is dependent on itself, not the tree.

Nice post mike.
If a tree is like a pump and the roots get damaged the result is dieback in thetop, that explains it.
A tree will CODIT a limb if its a sink, this leads me to conclude that the tree does bail on the limb.
But the way you explain it Mike makes sense too. So, I am cornfuse and I know that I am over simplifying.
Thanks for including sunlight to the thread Frans. It has made the search of CODIt on google more relevant and that this thread now shows up on google when I search CODIT thrills meh.

What about water?

If a branch is transpiring to the point of draining the rest of the system, wont the tree cut off it's supply?

There are stomata that open and close on the leaves, but other than that transpiration is a supply and demand thing. As long as evaporation is going on, and there is water in the soil, water will move. There are not any other on/off valves inside the tree.

In severe drought, again the limb is in charge. In order, it will close stomata, leaves will wilt, leaves will drop, and the limb will die back from the tips. The tree does not decide to kill the limb, the limb lives or dies on its own merit.

As long as evaporation is going on, and there is water in the soil, water will move. There are not any other on/off valves inside the tree.

The tree does not decide to kill the limb, the limb lives or dies on its own merit.

'Sudden Limb drop'

What causes it?

Could it be;
1. excessive/heavy water load in the branch which then transpires out of the leaves of the limb causing the entire limb to become lighter which causes the limb to raise, which creates force pushing on the tension wood, causing the limb to shear at the branch collar?
2. The tree 'cutting off' the water supply to the limb causing the cells in the branch collar to become rigid/ desiccated /shrink and brittle so it shears off?

I am curious about this phenomenon and I think it addresses this topic.

My understanding is that a tree is a collection of disparate parts, all of which contribute to the whole in some way. Kind of like a government with numerous agencys. So (unlike a government) if one 'agency' is not performing, or it is 'robbing'/not contributing to the survival of the tree, the tree system will excise that part in order to survive.

If the first or second is correct, that would mean that yes, the tree would, and could if needed, shut off nutrients and water to any section.

Bruce Hagen seems to think one or the other of these points could be true.

Please tell me your thoughts on this Mike.

Back