Random PHC Thread

"Have you heard of sugar for salt damage?"

yup, cool concept.

"Never had a prob. with allelopathy but I make sure to compost the heck out of the chips."

Allelopathy can be good. Rosaceous chips can be fungistatic.

I add my chips to worms ... Rob started worms a year or so ago.. Lil buggers make great compost and multiply double in 90 days. We feed them everything ... I also load them up wiht rakings of pine needles and oak leaves.... Lil buggers reduce the piles by 50 percent in about a month... by calculations ... we should have over a million worms workin in the pile now.. I would assume that good bacteria is present and the compost is like gold with castings... I don't know if that would be applicable to the situation, but would be interesting to try as would the sugar...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Good call, Cursed. Worms ! I've worked properties that have tons o' worms. Harvesting some of them would beat purchasing, not 'cause I'm cheap but because they're better worms... small but strong buggers ! Would they winter over alright if I sunk a plastic tub in the back yard ? >>> one of those big storage bins ? Wonder how deep it'd have to be ?
My next project !!!
P.S. Thanks for the link on hydrangeas, hmm. I think we did have a late freeze here this year, could've been it, ey ?

I add my chips to worms ... Rob started worms a year or so ago.. Lil buggers make great compost and multiply double in 90 days. We feed them everything ... I also load them up wiht rakings of pine needles and oak leaves.... Lil buggers reduce the piles by 50 percent in about a month... by calculations ... we should have over a million worms workin in the pile now.. I would assume that good bacteria is present and the compost is like gold with castings... I don't know if that would be applicable to the situation, but would be interesting to try as would the sugar...

That stuff is gold...we got a ton of worms in our chip pile too. I use the stuff at the bottom for all the plants at the house here. Never need fertilizer and bugs seem to leave the plants alone.

I use it on rescue trees that we bring back to the shop, stuff does wonders.

Not to get too off track, how does the sugar help against salt damage? Is just extra avail. carbohydrate? I always wondered.

Did a job where a water softening sys. sprung a leak over the years. I remember reading a salt damage PDF a few years back...We leached the hell out of it, put about 15 lbs. of white sugar down and mulched it. By the next spring the foliage was perfect. Leaching or sugar or both?

chips made from trees in the Rosaceae family, like apple, hawthorn, cherry etc.

Could these be bad for good fungus/trees, like say a native oak in grasslands?

I've heard of using same species chips for trees, is this a big concern?

chips made from trees in the Rosaceae family, like apple, hawthorn, cherry etc.
... and Mountain Ash, no ? It got me to wondering (I'm a pain in the arse, yes!)... can bacterial blight leech into tea ?

... and Mountain Ash, no ? It got me to wondering (I'm a pain in the arse, yes!)... can bacterial blight leech into tea ?

I use chlorinated water, I hope that kills everything?

I've read that composting properly takes care of alot of disease pathogens.

Not to switch gears here, but this is the "random" PHC thread...
I wrote my first official tree evaluation report this past August ($256, 4 hrs. invested, thank you) and it was not at all the gratifying experience I had hoped for.
The ultra-condensed version :
Neighbor 'B' (my client) was sueing neighbor 'C' for building a dike along the property line. It was holding back water from flooding neighbor 'C', but drowning the trees on the property of neighbor 'B'.
My report was the deciding factor and neighbor 'B' won a big court case. Neighbor 'C' has to remove the 10k stone wall, plus a shitload of extra costs. Neighbor 'A', (not mentioned up until now) was never brought into the equation, but it was really their fault for the whole frikkin' mess.
It was a very high dollar hood, and part of my research revealed to me that it was mostly political... that they ultimately could've given 2 shits about the trees.
Weird first experience... and now I know.

I have done a few valuation reports, mostly for insurance tho, not too many neighbor disputes. My faves are the ones for strata complexes and such, walk the site and do a basic evaluation of each tree over a certain DBH. takes time, time = money :)

For plants, shrubs & trees that are close to the road and subject to salt spray, would you choose burlap wrap (or some similar type of barrier) or a spray of WiltPruf (or some similar product) ???

I'm having a problem with my pruners that is driving me CRAZY ! There's a "clunking" noise / feel to them, & I've adjusted & tweaked them 'til I am ready to throw them OUT.
Replaced anvil, new blade. Still the 'clunk' ???
Adjust blade, tighten, loosen, take apart, reaasemble.
Swear, plead, medicate...
WTH ?
P.S. These are my second pair, my first being used exclusively for root pruning.

maybe a burr on the blade or anvil, or... the spring might be rusted. :)
take them apart completely, clean, oil, inspect each part. I do that about every 6 months with my felco's.

I assumed they are hand pruners or secateurs sotc, TC mentioned she is using them for root pruning. :)

Finally figured out the pruner prob >>> the lock mechanism was loose, causing the backside of it to swing into the hand grip. Reach out / down to prune... "clunk" ! Lift pruners up & look, lock mechanism swung back into place. Sneaky bugger !!!

New question : Is there a web site that's good for learning about (natural) needle drop in pine & spruce ? 2 yr., 4 yr. etc. ?
I use this web site, & it's good... but no info on needle drop cycles.
http://forestry.about.com/library/tree/blredp.htm

Me 3 .. I have pines browning everywhere up here. I know a borer tree mostly when I see it. But we are seeing different types of browning here and people are asking. And I am trying really hard ot answer with good research or referrals.. Heck I referred Steve to two of them.

have not seen the obvious signs of it and it may be cause we have been so dry in the last few years. Dunno... I have to yet climb one pine to see more. I will be checking for it also (gall).

I heard recently that a job I did 3 years ago failed miserably. Root flare exposure on 12 large White Pine.
All dead.
That sux mightily, and I'm embarrassed.
Justin (Stumper) suggested that I go at them in segments, but it was after the fact. The deed was done.
They went with another tree co. >>> a suckier tree co. but hey ?
I'm bummed.

Back