Radiator coil cleaning

canadianclimber

TreeHouser
Anyone have any tips for cleaning the dust and dirt out of the rad coils on a chipper? Spent an hour trying to get the crap out with an air compressor making sure not to bend the coils. Painfully slow and couldn't get it all.

I would try some water, lightly at first, go easy if the fins seem prone to bending.

Do you have a little compressor? Seems like a big one would do better, like a friend might have? My pancake compressor doesn't do it very well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'll try some water next time around. I think if I used a bigger compressor I would bend the fins.

Big volume/pressure really helps on a radiator. I have a 175 psi at 16cfm compressor and that is not too big. The construction of the radiator can make a difference as to how easily it cleans. A narrow/deep radiator is much harder to clean than a wide/shallow one. Sometimes a pressure washer can be used but dont get carried away or you might get to find out how much fun fin straightening is! Just dont quit once you start with water, once the dirt become wet it will set up even harder once it dries if you dont get it out. Sometimes I leave the engine running to help clear out the debris, although this is probably against every safety rule.

Big air and a small hole for it to come out of, and stay with it till you are done works the best.

I'll try some water next time around. I think if I used a bigger compressor I would bend the fins.

A big compressor doesn't mean max psi, just consistent psi that your fins can handle. Mine gets too weak, too fast. How many psi are you using?

Maybe starting it up when the engine is cold and spraying the fins with water would rattle a bit loose??????

its tedious but i took the pointed end of a small file and cleaned each one out individually when i first bought it still is good no leaks

If it is easy to take the rad off that makes the job much easier. Antifreeze need changing anyway? It gets overlooked a lot. I am guilty. Diesels are more important to stay on top of changing than gas. They have extended life stuff that is supposed to last 5 years. Diesel engines should use antifreeze designed for them.

Cleaning them when they are lightly dirty is much easier than waiting till they are plugged up good.

Nozzle on the waterhose or the pressure washer standing back a few feet so as not to overdo it on the fins.

They make an air nozzle with a long pipe just for the job. Actually a water one too. Radiator Genie. The air one works quite well. Have not tried the water one yet. You could make one if you looked them over.

Back