Cleaning chaps

There's always something :). Some of the newer offerings are less hot than most older types, I believe. Some with no chainsaw protection on the back part of the legs, just nearly mesh there, are not nearly as hot as my early pair.

And it made a big difference to me to use suspenders and no belt, with a slightly oversized waist...vented a lot of heat that otherwise stayed inside.

why am I posting clips from Grease in this thread? I’ve watched that movie once. I must be drunk.

So what is the "coolest option?" I have yet to purchase any chaps or chainsaw protective pants. My biggest concern is the heat. Our summers can spike to 110 degrees F but its also very humid here being on the east coast. Anything will work in the winter but I need a pair that accommodates a 32x30 pant size and would be the coolest option in the industry

You are just going to suffer. Just have to power through it. I spent many years cutting fireline in bloody hot temps. Chaps are good for that. If you don't have to hike or pack in then the saw pants are better perhaps.

I guess everyone here climbs with leg protection? I've worn chaps up a couple times, and it worked ok, but it was hot, and a bit restrictive. Most cuts are away from my legs, and when I have to cut near them, I'm extra special careful, so I quit worrying about it. I'm usually more concerned with my rope.

The UK has "recommendations" for front protection only (Type A) or all round (Type C) depending whether your working on the ground or climbing or certain companies will make employees wear all round protection trousers as standard.
Many of the more expensive offerings in Type A design will have ventilation zips in the back so can help heat escape at times, although the new trend seems to be very slim leg fittings which i find cling to your legs and doesn't help airflow.
started off with individual leggings in the woods years ago, would never go back, saw trousers are one thing that have really improved over the years. As for cleaning, as mentioned well previously definitley in the wash them camp, i usually wash on a synthetic setting and line/air dry after shaping.

Last edited:
I guess everyone here climbs with leg protection?
No, not always. Winter, pretty much, yes. But Fall and Spring can get hot down here...summer def too hot. Fall and Spring I wear my saw pants as much as I can tolerate it. I have used chaps in a tree before (way back) but it was cumbersome; restricted agility.

Legs protection in the tree or elsewhere have the great benefit to protect you from the major part of the scratchs and bruises. The chainsaw pant does it better than a thing flopping around. I wear one as soon as I deal with trees, and very often even iside my house. I feel naked now when I'm in jeans.

'Bout 5 years ago I was cutting in a birch.
The dead branch I was resting my right foot on broke, and I swung right into the running saw chain.
Cut me just below the knee, but the saw pants took it.
Would have been a nasty cut without those, tendon from quadriceps severed.

Back in 90 I was renovating an x-mas tree farm.
Back then you walked through the parcels and anything that you judged as not having the right x-mas spirit was limbed, cut and left to rot.
Basically you did 3 sweeping cuts, taking the branches off , then cut the stem and pushed it over with your shoulder...............on to the next one.
As I was pushing one over, I lost my footing and went down with the tree, one branch stub locked my finger on the trigger, so I fell across a saw that was running full out.
It cut through the saw pants across my left thigh, but didn't even graze me.
Scared the living daylights out of me, though.

So I don't runs saws on the ground or in trees without protection.

So what is the "coolest option?" I have yet to purchase any chaps or chainsaw protective pants. My biggest concern is the heat. Our summers can spike to 110 degrees F but its also very humid here being on the east coast. Anything will work in the winter but I need a pair that accommodates a 32x30 pant size and would be the coolest option in the industry

Clogger Zero Gen2 for the win. Extremely lightweight, and have mesh panels just to the side/rear of your knees.

I went from Stihl to SIP to Francital to Pfanner and now Clogger. Cloggers are my summer pants, Pfanner for the winter.
I've used the Cloggers back in Bermuda, 85 - 90* and 95% humidity...tolerable with a frozen camelbak, and wetting my hair.
Depending on how cold it is in Tassie, 'bike shorts' underneath or longjohns, Pfanners come out less and less as winters don't get as cold any more.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I got some for my gf.
She likes them.

She is in XXS. Thankfully they make them.

I don't think I'd like the bulk of pants for climbing. I tried mine a while ago.

I like to take off chaps when not needed.

I am my 6 or 7th pair of pfanners. They fit like jeans to me. Never had an issue with moving around. It was like a breath of fresh air when I went to that brand after old school Stihl trousers. I mostly wear type A, front protection only, but have a pair of type c’s kicking around somewhere.

One thing I do notice though, on reccy climbs I just wear a pair of Arborsear climbing pants. Holy shit Batman, my legs and shins get proper battered up without the front protection.

Back