quick link as life support?

I don't trust screwlinks in general. Maybe in a semipermanent installation with locktite, but not as something routinely removed.

What's your intended use? Doubling them with opposing gates(as shown in the pic) would make me feel better about using them. There's also the Notch Quickie, but quite a bit more spendy.

I have used rated ones on semi-permanent applications without issue or concern. The USFS standard, and OSHA, finds them in compliance with life support rules( at least they both used to, before I retired in 2012 :)) because of the multiple rotations it takes to unfasten, minimizing accidental opening.

I would get a rated one for under $10, tighten with a wrench and itll be fine, add some never seize to the threads tho
ive used non rated ones and felt relatively fine on it, but I wouldnt suggest it

screwlinks are available in many sizes and shapes by numerous manufacturers and with the „proper“ certification. they are plenty strong and when tightened with a wrench, they are a safe connection. not necessary to double them up… mailon rapide is a common manufacterer.

screwlinks are available in many sizes and shapes by numerous manufacturers and with the „proper“ certification. they are plenty strong and when tightened with a wrench, they are a safe connection. not necessary to double them up… mailon rapide is a common manufacterer.
That's the brand I always used.

I use quick links for different things. Delta link is great for a canopy anchor. Never have had one loosen up from hand tight but I give em a good ugga dugga.
Definitely get the rated ones. Maillon rapide, petzl etc make them. They're cheap enough and there's simply just too much PRC junk out there.

Simply put: If it isn't rated, I will not/do not trust it. Break testing for your quick links at Home Depot/Lowes, etc. are not up to the same standards as those for rated quick link options. You won't be spending all that much more and what you're truly paying for is peace of mind and predictable gear behavior. The materials used to make rated options are also significantly more superior than the shite that you can buy on the cheap. Besides, if there were ever a situation where you needed to sever that connection, you wouldn't want to have to unscrew two cheap quick links with opposing gates when you could be simply unscrewing one higher quality one. Unscrewing those two links while they are under load would be next to impossible side by side like that. By using one quick link in that rope grab, you will also be improving the movability of the link in the connection hole. It is possible that those two links together might get caught and ratchet against the connection hole of the rope grab, especially if one or both becomes cross loaded. This wouldn't happen with just one quality quick link.

The best small size carabiner with double or triple locking gate is the DMM Perfect-O. I use them all the time. They are phenomenal. You could also use a rated Omega shackle or even a Notch Quickie instead of quick links.
Perfect-O:

Omega Shackle (not the one you want, but it's an example of the type):

Notch Quickie:

Last edited:
So long as they are rated appropriately, yes.
I have a pear shape link on my flip line at the clip. Never failed me after a simple torque with a wrench. Ive used smaller ones for links on ascender connctions I wanted left on for like a knee ascender to stirrup or a hand ascender to foot loop. No rating required other than strong enough to stand on since not life support.

Back