Profitability of buying a bucket truck

No way a bucket truck is a crutch. That's like saying real men use hand saws... chain saws are a crutch!!!

If you can afford a bucket, GET A BUCKET! Preferably a dedicated rear mount.

I say that in a joking way,Butch.

I thought that was pretty clear from my post.

bucket trucks have taking over up here in my area, very little climbing going on. Prices are very high, my dad, who hates me climbing, got a quote to take off 12 ft off the top of a dead 60ft spruce.... $700.... now mind you it was in a tight area, couldn't drop a fart in it. 40 mins for me to climb, limb, rig the top and chunk it down.i

Having said that, many of the larger tree companies are scaling back their equipment, cost of operation is very high as well.

An important factor is how much you can afford. How much of a mechanic are you?

Getting a cheap, hard used truck is different than a decently maintained, not that old, safe bucket.

THAT is a LIE!!! I used it ONE TIME, FOUR YEARS ago next month! (We met 5 years and one month ago....):P

I tire of hearing that question, "Do you have a bucket truck?" I have said. "Sure, do you have some peas that need picking? I have quite a few buckets." Mine hasn't been cranked since I parked it where it is. I found 55' of reach is a joke in most settings, especially with a center-mount forestry setup.

Hahaha I stand corrected!

I like my bucket. Some weeks it's just a big rolling tool truck. Others it's working all week long. When I do a lot of climbing I start to think of selling it but then I get one PITA to climb but easy as pie with the boom tree and I remember why I bought it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah, even a 75 footer can't reach the top of many trees around here, but it's pretty nice to block down a big stem out of the bucket after being on spikes all day. Also alot safer around electrical hazards.

An important factor is how much you can afford. How much of a mechanic are you?

Getting a cheap, hard used truck is different than a decently maintained, not that old, safe bucket.

Good points.. Definitely staying away from the cheap ones.. I won't get one till I can afford something safe and well maintained. Don't want some death trap/money pit.

Looking at a well maintained '02 Intl w/ rear mounted ALC 60-50 that was reconditioned at the factory just before they shut down. Would this extend the mandatory retirement date of the boom? IIRC they are 20 or 25 years?

I am a half decent mechanic but don't have much of a shop yet. There is a good enough truck shop about an hour from me that also works on aerial lifts.

I don't know what the "mandatory" retirement age of an ALC boom is but Ive been told by 2 different experts that if they are maintained regularly and operated reasonably they will last indefinitely.

Ya, never heard of mandatory retirement. Ive seen many old booms mounted on new chassis. Shoot, you even see the death trap sky-workers still for sale with a dupont restoration.

The cylinder rods have 8? Year replacement. But multiple alc alumni say run it if its a well maintained unit in the first place.

My trucks a 96 and i wouldn't trade it for half the new trucks shown for sale.

I have 2, was going to sell one but I've been working it enough to keep 2. Probably sell the old one one of these days. Anyway, if it didn't pay I certainly wouldn't have one let alone 2

I was running one for awhile, but they just gave me trees that were 20 feet taller.

What is your access like? Trees like?

Still saying, start with a Wraptor! Brand new at ~$2500. A fraction of an hour on it.

802, is it your company?

Probably not much different than you Sean. Lots of places we can't get into but the ones we can are efficient.

Willie, I meant 802.

I think we would sink a lot more up here, and rut a lot more up here, as I expect Medford has more dry, solid soils. Do you suppose so?

Personally, my access on most jobs that I get bid requests for, is pretty poor.

I don't know why that is, exactly.

Some customers know that a bucket truck has access, and may also think that means success/ competence (which while it applies to you, not necessarily across the board). I figure some of those will look for a bucket truck in advertising.

When you have access, a bucket truck definitely speed up efficiency. From what I gather, Willie, all/most your guys have CDLs, freeing up that constraint.

As Butch said, a dedicated rear-mount is best. More likely to get a 60' Working height under CDL weight, 26001+.

We're pretty dry here but clay soils so when wet, it stays wet and very soft.
Yes, everyone has a CDL, but none had when they came here. That is just a matter of deciding you want trucks that can really work and be overloaded all the time.

I suppose that if you're not dealing with slopes, you can spend the money and get alturnamats to prevent sinking, if you can get access.

Here, gardening is a huge deal. Large plantings, raised beds and walls. We have our share of steep slopes, as we come right out from sea level.

People certainly do have bucket trucks around here, and use them. I don't know if there is a limit to the amount of bucket trucks an area can support. One company with a bucket will do the work way cheaper than I would (largely a removal/ grinding company).

Willie, you're obviously growing for a reason. With the production you're getting, do you have to do jobs for less than others/ 'market value' to keep overloaded/ guys working all the time, or do you feel you are able to get full market-value, or better because of reputation?

Back