Prices on 044, 066

Those aren't bad prices on those blowers either if you could use them .FWIW the Br 400 and Br 420are almost indentical .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Might try to get up there, about an hour away, in a couple days, if available, and more checks come in, and I'm not caring for D. She's got 5 shirts on right now, well, one's a dress. HA.

That's a good price for an 066, if all is well with it. The 044 is one of the best saws Stihl ever produced, imo...$400 isn't a steal, but it isn't a bad price either. Parts are still easy to get for both those models.

I'm partial to the "0 something something" saw models, maybe just an old man's prejudice...but if it was me, and I could swing it without too much sacrifice, I'd get them both.

Prices seem high to me for saws that are over 10 years old. If they have a season in the woods on them that is real high price. Fire them up, determine if the fuel lines, impulse lines, boot etc are in good shape and make him a realistic offer.

Pnw, there's good odds that it's been used hard. I paid $250 for a used 066 that's had quite a few milling hours put in it now without a hiccup. Last year I paid $500 for a 046 and a 460 in top running condition. Also came with a handful of new chains and a stacked tool box of saw parts and goodies, couple spare bars.

I would say that's fair pricing if they're good condition. Not a great deal though. IMO.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I kinda figures you PNW guys would say as much.

I'm a bargain hunter, and at the same time tired of old equipment. It would be different if I could buy a new 066 or 044. I'd jump on that. Used is a crap shoot.

Are these old saws intended just for fun or money makers?

If it is for fun I guess there is no real limits.

If it is a saw that will make you £€$ I would get a new one.

I would almost say they might be tree service saws because the blowers were listed also .I can't think of any reason for a feller to have a bunch of blowers

Seems doubtful at those prices. And all of the stolen saws, blowers listed together? The ad I read mentioned climbing saws too. Maybe some good 200's?

I lol at you guys that say only new for a work saw.

I thought of you today Magnus when the chain flipped off my 200 and I just grabbed the 201 and kept ripping. If only I had listened to you and had no spares I'm sure I woulda been fine if you had tensioned the chain for me.

Anyone that thinks their way is the only way is running with blinders on.

I've got new saws, old saws, modded saws, all sorts of saws.

Nothing wrong with picking up a used saw or five if the price is right. And just because something's used doesn't mean its hot.

I hear ya. I wouldn't want anything hot myself. I'm a classified junky, but I live in a relatively small population area so problems are less I think. I won't deal with no sketchballs.

Thieves should have a hand cut off and a brand burned on them just above the stump. So people who had legitimately lost a hand wouldn't be confused as thieves.

Yeah, people that knowingly buy stolen equipment are as guilty as the person that steals it. Put them in the same cell and they can talk about it.

I've had a few things stolen in my time. One saw, and one weed smacker/brush saw. I run pretty high security now. Way beyond just my dogs.

One of the reasons that I live where I do is that theft is quite infrequent, generally all crime really. if I have an early morning departure in an opposite direction from my shop, I can leave my gear in the back of my truck at home, the truck being out front. I do have a sheet cover over the bed, but still... In a lot of years have only ever heard of one saw being stolen, that was a new Zenoah in the back of a gardener's truck while in the big home center parking lot. I suspect that limited theft must equate to a large degree with minimal hard drug use.

Yes, America is a great country! Fortunately, i recently discovered a half way decent place that puts out a good double decker cheeseburger. I had to give the gal some pointers on the bun, though, it was too small, so everything squishes out. I watched the other customers, they seemed to be eating theirs with a fork. :?

For sure. Drug addicts gotta feed their addiction. Causes people to do a lot of things they otherwise wouldn't do. Once that lines been crossed, it takes a strong person to come back from that. IMO.

The lack of crime sounds like a really nice benefit to living where you do. Crime is considered low here, but IMO it all depends where you're at. You living in the 'city' here and you'd better lock your stuff up.

I've had vehicles broken into twice, but never my home.

On topic. I'd pay up to $400 for a 44 or $500 for a 66. If they were mint, prices dropping off rapidly from there. Pretty much if I'm buying second hand its got to be a good, or preferably great deal or I'm not interested.

Last edited:
I thought of you today Magnus when the chain flipped off my 200 and I just grabbed the 201 and kept ripping. If only I had listened to you and had no spares I'm sure I woulda been fine if you had tensioned the chain for me.
If you like, I can get some pic's up here and show you how to put on a chain.
Do what work best for you.
Thats what the guy's do I service here.

Back