Pot Roast

vharrison

Island Girl
Anyone have a good recipe for pot roast? John's mom, RIP, made the best. I remember a couple of things, like browning the meat before it goes in the pot, but she used bitters somehow and I think that was the secret to making it so delicious. I know to put potatos, carrots and onions in with the meat, it is the sauce I need help with. All fails, I will just throw a can of mushroom soup in the mix.

Sauce? I just use a cup of water and the juice from the meat and the vegetables I throw in the crock pot.

And yea, be sure to sear the meat first.

Mmmm, maybe I'll break out the 'ole crock pot. I like to let it slow cook all day.

I use beer instead of water, season the roast, then brown it in a skillet. Then I put the roast, onion, garlic, and two beers in the pot, you can add water,or more beer if you need more liquid. Bake @ 325 to 350 for up to 4 hours depending on the size of the roast. Add potatoes, carrots, celery, or what ever you use, I also add green beans to mine, about two hours before time to serve.

First roll the roast in seasoned flour, then brown it in a skillet with some butter.

In a medium saucepan, heat 1 to 2 cups ketchup and about half a cup of white wine. Add baby carrots, diced onion and celery, some fresh parsley, salt & pepper(and any other spices you prefer), 3 or 4 tablespoons of brown sugar and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice. Heat and simmer for 10 minutes.

Pour this over the browned roast, then bake, covered, in a 325 degree oven for a few hours, usually about 20 minutes per pound.

Serve with mashed potatoes or egg noodles. Yummy!!!

These recipes sound soooo good !!! We use a cup of Burgundy to deglaze the pan after browning the roast.

You can do the same thing with beer Theresa, this is also a good recipe to serve beer biscuits with, use Bisquick mix and use beer for the liquid follow the directions on the box.

Sounds like a good enough reason to make a beer run !!!
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pyCPhIjmk-s&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pyCPhIjmk-s&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

You can do the same thing with beer Theresa, this is also a good recipe to serve beer biscuits with, use Bisquick mix and use beer for the liquid follow the directions on the box.

Is the cheapest beer available good enough, or do I have to use the good drinking stuff for cooking?

It may sound odd but I would take a good old pot roast over a steak.

My resident chef,Mrs. Smith just browns the meat real good then pops it in the oven for a while.After a few hours,out it comes.She then adds the vegies,potatoes,onions,mushrooms,whatever.A few more hours then it's chow time,yum,yum. Oh,she also makes a gravey of some sort and pours over the whole thing while it's roasting .

I had to look up "deglaze"....guess I had the general idea right:

When a piece of meat is roasted, pan fried or prepared in a pan with another form of dry heat, a fond, or deposit is left at the bottom of the pan with any rendered fat. Usually, the meat is removed from the cooking vessel, the majority of the oil is poured off, leaving a small amount with the dried and caramelized meat juices. The pan is returned to the heat, and a liquid is added to act as a solvent. This liquid can be plain water, vegetable or meat stock, a spirit, some wine, verjuice or any other liquid. This allows the cook to scrape the dark spots from the bottom of the pan, and dissolve them creating a rich sauce.

This method is the cornerstone of many well known sauces and gravies. The resulting liquid can be seasoned and served on its own, or with the addition of aromatic vegetables such as onions or shallots. The sauce can also be thickened with a starch such as flour, cornstarch, or arrowroot, or reduced with a steady heat forming a richer concentrated sauce, sometimes called a coulis.

What cut of meat do you all use? I've used Chuck roasts....but even after cooking, the meat stays so 'fatty' tasting. The leaner cuts I've used end up tasting dry, though.

Al, does she use Bitters?
Bitters like in an "old fashion" ?? I don't think so .She does use a little worchestershire sauce and Mrs Dash along with either whole garlic or garlic salt,depending on her mood at the time. She might throw in a little celery,carrots and of course a zillion onions.

The cut of meat might vary depending on the quality and price at the time.Usually chuck but she has used rib roast on occasion.She cuts most of the fat off the fatty cuts.You need some for flavor but too much is rather "lardy" .Usually the cooking time is 3 to 4 hours at around 325.

My ex used to make rolled roast in the crock pot.That also was good eating.

Now,I can cook but prefer not to .My job is eating the stuff.;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Man, it is smelling really good at my house! Another hour or so and it will be ready!

Is the cheapest beer available good enough, or do I have to use the good drinking stuff for cooking?

Any beer will do I use what ever I'm drinking at the time. Good old chuck roast here, the fat is what brings it together.

How did you fix it? What I do with the left over meat is pull it apart, place in a small cake pan cover with BBQ sauce, cover with foil and bake at 250 for about an hour, or until warm. Serve on Kaiser rolls, with the left over veggies on the side.

How did you fix it?

I seasoned the meat with salt and pepper then coated it with flour. Browned it in a cast iron skillet, then put it in a roasting pan. I deglazed the skillet with a mixture of flour, water and a couple of drops of bitters, poured that over the meat. I added onions and carrots, sealed it up and cooked it for 4 1/2 hours on 300-325. Sometimes I put the potatoes in there also, but we went for mashed instead. Yum, yum, yum! The bbq idea is a good one!

Bitters is a good substitute for red wine.

I like to coat the roat with Garlic, salt, pepper, majoram, rosemary, paprika, and cayenne. give it some worchester and some soy. NO water, ect.

Add onions, celery and carrots after a while. Add green beans and potatoes later.

Seperate the fat, add the vino, mix in a slurry and voila!

Fred

That sounds pretty good Fred, I will have to give that a try.

I am cooking Pot Roast again today! The house is smelling really good. Chow time in an hour, can I set a place for you?

Back