Post Your Favorite Wood Burning Stove!

Leon,

It's hard to judge how many cords of firewood I go through. It's about 13 cords of pure crap wood per winter.

Our summers are so short up here on the Canadian line that we don't have time for wet firewood to dry down. I've never killed a tree to use as firewood. All of our firewood comes from dead-fall branches, or whole trees that have already died and fallen over. Most of my firewood is pretty soft and rotted when I get to it, which means that we have to burn a whole lot more of it to make it through a winter.

I will die making firewood. I love the job. I can't get enough of it. It's my favorite summer project, by far.

Thanks for the comments. My wife love this furnace too. The house has never been so warm......even when it's 40 below zero and the wind is howling.

Joel

Bump...
Later this month I have a tree job planned with a friend, 110 Pines need to come down He doesn't have a lot of experience falling, but can use a saw well and learns quick and is very good to work with attitude wise. He also has a few interesting toys. Today he dropped off this Drolet portable wood stove at my shop, "so we don't get cold when working". I didn't know what to think about it, if it is really practical to take it to a job or not. I didn't check it out much yet, but it appears pretty nicely made and the weight would definitely make it portable. I can see where it could be useful. Could you take it home still burning in the back of your truck? Seems like you could rig a way to pick it up. Kind of a novel concept to think about. It takes a 20" log. Throw a steak on for lunch! I hate eating in my truck.

Anyone ever use one? Apparently hunters and campers buy them. Not rated for indoor use, it says.

Attachments

• 310aHJZUyCL.jpg
    310aHJZUyCL.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 59
Wow! That set up of candoarms is sweet.
2 in my house, Godin in the kitchen and Franco Belge in the living room.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 59
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 59
Simple wood stove, it was given to me, heats the house nicely, but I had to weld up the grate to warm up underwear.

stove.jpg

Jay in my area a lot of people have built big BBQ’s on trailers, some for rent. When a person is done using them and wanting to return them to place of storage it is very tempting to drive them down the road before coals have entirely burned out. Being fanned at 60 miles an hour gets them hot quickly and some roadside fires have been started.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391376807.418506.jpg

My favorite to date. Woodstock Soapstone fireview. They retail for round $2800 but i picked this up for $80 off Craigslist. Easy on the wood supply and holds heat for near eight hrs after a good burn.

Merle, it does seem that driving down the road while spewing burning embers might not be the best idea. Guys here will drive around in pickups selling wood fire cooked sweet potatoes, done in rigs in the back of the truck as they putt through neighborhoods. They only drive like 5mph though, with a speaker announcing their arrival and often tooting a horn to residents. A take off on the old ice cream man approach. A very good little snack in the winter, by the way. I never heard of any fires associated with it, just burned mouths.

Shutting down the pipe with an end cap and closing intakes would make it good to go down the road. Heckuva draft with an open smoke pipe at 55.

Very nice soapstone stove. That deal was killer for sure.

I'd never seen a soapstone stove before. That one looks really nice. And an unbeatable deal!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's a sweet deal. Was it hot? Why in the world would someone sell it so cheap? If I saw a $2800 Les Paul being sold for $80, I'd be quite suspicious.

A "hot" wood stove? (Let's ignore the pun there...). Stealing a wood stove would be a lot of work for just $80!

Some sellers don't know the value of what they've got. I bought a super clean 066 off of a wealthy man for $50.

Maybe a little longer for super hot, but the cast iron frame puts out enough heat to make the wait negligible. The people I bought it from had just bought the house in Marblehead and wanted nothing to do with burning wood. It was listed for $100. When I got there it had a cracked top so she told me to give her 80. I called Woodstock Soapstone and had a new top in the mail for $100 before we got out of the neighborhood. Definitely a score!

My woodstove sucks. I wont even share pictures of it. It holds lots of wood and makes loads of heat but it was my father in laws. So that makes it suck.

Hello all, I am in the woods here in the Northern part of the lower peninsula in Mi and my favorite woodstove/furnace is my Central Boiler 6048. I heat my woodshop, implement barn and my house. I think this winter all I have been doing is cutting firewood and pushing snow! LOL! I am chomping at the bit to get out on my HH and do some treetop exploration(I am a rec climber that dabbles in tree work). I met Kevin Bingham in the early days of RR development (I made a couple of versions out of Lignum Vitae) and he and his now wife came up and we did some climbing. I am hooked on climbing and really digging this SRT. I learned double rope from Bob Wray down in the Blue Ridge Mountains and he developed a cool way to traverse the treetops using a minimum of gear- and that is when the addiction started. Thanks to all for your valued info and I read old threads for hours trying to digest and get new ideas.(my real name is Paul)

Back