PISTON=CARNAGE!

I've replaced many jugs and pistons, never yet opened a case. Either put it together and run it or just throw out the whole thing. At this point you have almost nothing to lose.

John do you know which bearing broke? You do know that the bearing integrity has been compromised, right? and will more than likely denigrate when spun at high speed,( shell the carrier out of the middle of it). I don't know what kinda prices that guy charges, but man that is really high. You can mail it up to me and I'll give it the once over for ya, if you like. Be glad to do it for ya.
See Ya
Mike

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
F-F-F-F-Finally replaced piston. So far so good. ran a tank of gas through no probs. Hope it lasts.....anyway saw is back from the dead!:D

Cool deal glad to hear you saved the saw.
See Ya
Mike

F-F-F-F-Finally replaced piston. So far so good. ran a tank of gas through no probs. Hope it lasts.....anyway saw is back from the dead!:D

Are you sure that improper fuel/oil mix or even bad gas was not the problem?

dunno, same gas in all the rest. wrist pin looked a little worn?

I would like to see it up close and see if I can find the cause, from what I can see, it appears that something stopped the piston on the down stroke. As to what caused it I'm not able to tell from the pix.
See Ya
Mike

It just a guessing game on piston failure .Most likely the saw ate something that disagreed with it's system,so to speak .A carb bolt, a little chunk of sawdust,part of the air cleaner who knows.

I've seen grenaded pistons on Stihls that didn't do a thing to the cylinder which is very surprising,they must be pretty tough.

it's DEAD again.....I'm guessing this is it. Rings are shot, some damage to jug on the exhaust side. I guess a new jug/piston is in order. Where can I find this, ....seems like this saw is outta date.

I feel lucky I traded out just under 200.00 labor for a 036 in prime condition.... But then I did start the 200t thread on fixin it... Guess its just principle.... Bivy I too luv that 036 which I think is the earlier version of the 360. Hope you get it fixed man... Hey if nuttin else... good learning experience....

I have an 036, but stuck on an 034 case ;) I think those are definitely worth fixing up. Hope you get it sorted out. I found the jug at ebay.

It lasted a long time with just the wrist pin fix.........It aint a boat anchor yet, I guess. Now jus have to fine the jug and such

If you're replacing the jug, you might want to eliminate the base gasket and up the compression a bit. Not sure if this is the right thread to go into details, but they do respond well to that modification.

OK .... so you can up the comp on the 036 by removing the base gasket... I take it you have done this with good results cause you still have your 036?
hmmmmmm well I gonna remember that comes time for rebuild....
Thanks..
Hope I did not just derail this thread.... Sowey if I did.

Not to sidetrack the thread...you have to replace the gasket with a sealant, and check the piston clearance at the top of the cylinder. Those are basic modifications that are well worth it. PM me if you get to doing it and need help.

Jay

Back