pistols

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I understand brian, theres also a link to 6 reviews. I read 2or 3.

that warthog looks pretty compact for concealment, but the small grip Im not sure id like.

Dude where do you get all the lead?
Geese im stupid so allow me that...
I cant figure it.
My best 1000 is still over 200 bucks >
Let me ask the range master haha .He prolly wouldnt tell me , untill i best him.Not far off ...;)

as for lead, stop in a tire shop. they may give/sell you the used wheel weights. melt em down and there ya go.

I got some several yrs back. the guy told me they usually dont mess w/ them till the bucket (5 gal) is full. I said I didnt need that much and took what he had. it was only 1/3 full and was probably still 20#. Its soft lead, but who cares?

as for lead, stop in a tire shop. they may give/sell you the used wheel weights. melt em down and there ya go.

I got some several yrs back. the guy told me they usually dont mess w/ them till the bucket (5 gal) is full. I said I didnt need that much and took what he had. it was only 1/3 full and was probably still 20#. Its soft lead, but who cares?

A buddy, John, and I used to cast bullets...we got the lead from a tire shop, too, by the bucketful...the owner gave it to us. John had some bars of antimony, a very shiny and hard substance. We used to mix it about 20%, I think, with the lead...it helped to keep from leading the bbl too much. Soft lead will lead the barrel after awhile.

We had a four bullet mold and cast quite a few. We did it inside the house at first, during the winter but ventilation was a problem sometimes. You don't want to breathe the fumes as you are melting the lead. We started to build a ventilation hood with fan but it was too much trouble...I finally just started buying cast bullets by the 500..much simpler. We were feeding Ingrams at the time...a 9mm and a .380. Both could use the same bullet, .355 diameter as I remember it, and those young'uns were hungry...the .380 shot 20 rounds per second.

Dark, I too am baffled by Carl's assertion. I know of no sources from which to buy the bullets at his total cost let alone paying for powder and primers.
As Gary suggested-buying commercial cast bullets can keep one shooting for pretty cheap.

Oops. How about this,
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/U9g6mUz3v1M&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/U9g6mUz3v1M&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Yes sir it is. I love the fact that I can drive 30 min west and I'm in National Forest land aka heaven! I cherish that "eden" is in my back yard so I respect it. It's a simple concept... bring it in, bring it out.;)

Anyway, we had a hoot of a time! A lot of cheering and giggling.... good times.:D

And for the record, if any of you get a chance to blow up a couple of large BBQ sauce with an assortment of guns..... I HIGHLY RECOMEND IT!!!!!!!:D:D:D

Gary, a point to make is lead that is too hard will lead far more than lead that is too soft.

Buying in bulk is key. With powder and primers it's a must with the retarded hazmat fee.

www.precisionbullets.com

I shoot the 9mm 115gr. The current price per case is $58.86 per K, but then factor in the $3-4 discount per K because I buy in bulk. The coating really is as good as they claim.

Now that's $55 per k in bullets.
Titegroup is $8 per k @ 4.6gr per case
CCI 500 primers are $21.5 per k
Cases are $2.33 per k figuring on 6 firings.

Now we're up to $86.83 per k, not counting cleaning the cases, which is next to nothing. Add 40 minutes to run them through the press, 15 minutes for o'shits and 5 minutes per k to clean them (cleaner can handle 2k per batch, main time spent is dumping the mix into the seperator and turning the handle).

For a grand total of $101.83 per k in today's prices. The only thing that doesn't cover is shipping and hazmat, which depending on your sources you might not have to pay, it's included in the bullet's cost. I can buy powder and primers at the matches in bulk and skip shipping and haz mat.

The reloading setup makes it practical, bulk makes it possible.

TBD, I'd recommend different hearing protection as those aren't very effective. I wear roll up and insert plugs, 33db reduction rating.

If I'm shooting near something where a super mag (460/500) can reverb, I wear muffs as well.

TBD, I'd recommend different hearing protection as those aren't very effective. I wear roll up and insert plugs, 33db reduction rating.

If I'm shooting near something where a super mag (460/500) can reverb, I wear muffs as well.

No shit? Cool, I'll do that. Thanks LJ.:D

Did anybody mention the Para Ordinance kicks ass?

para_warthog.jpg

The Warthog is a double stack, unless you get the slim version. Double stack means it's a good bit thicker. Close to the G20/21 frame size in glocks, or a full sizes width but more squarish instead of an oval.
How about this? 9mm, 9+1 (single stack) 30oz loaded. Comes standard with night sights.
DSC05297.jpg

DSC05302.jpg

Accurate to boot. I carry it when I'm in a tux or suit and need to carry in a concealed shoulder holster. Excluding the thumb safety it's only .925" wide at the slide and 1.105" wide at the grip. The J frame is 1.320" wide at the wheel, 1.215" at the butt, which can cause my arm to rub the suit funny, making things more obvious.

To qualify 1.105" on the grip, it's as thick as my thumb (actually follows it's profile fairly well with the grip pannels. Grip pannels off and the actual frame is as wide as my index finger.

Carl thanx for all that info im on it.

And where can i get that sweet spring field pictured above , i love it.
Classic look in a small package and if you say its accurate ill take your word for it.
I have Benton shooting supply close to my home pretty nice Gun store ill call them first and get a price.
How many does she hold ?
Im so stoked because at those reloading prices i can really start having some more fun.
Can you reccomend a book on reloading ?
Where are you buying powder?
Seems like one company would just sale all of the stuff needed for re loading ,are there laws against that ?

So Carl, what you're saying is that your $50 per 1000 round ammo price is really over $100 per 1000 rounds, plus shipping, hazmat and your time? So which is it, $50 or $100+? I'm confused here. :|:

I didnt get the math either but chit its so dang close who cares .
I need to reload , amn i didn know it was that much cheaper.
Why is it so much cheaper?

as for it being cheaper, by the math above ($100/1000), at 50 rds per box, its about 1/2 the cost of store bought. What you dont consider is your time and what thats worth.

For {SNIP} sake people, I said the prices LAST YEAR was $70 per K including my LABOR.

Now it's up $30 per k to $101 or whatknot INCLUDING MY LABOR AND WHAT I CAN GET THE COMPONETS FOR.

Dark, a good place to get powder and primers is www.powdervalleyinc.com

Last edited:
Guys i think average store bought 9 mill ammo cost about 400.00 per thousand

Last edited:
You can get WWB for $200+ tax from Wal Mart, my cost (for plinking ammo) is normally half what wally world charges, INCLUDING my labor.

What is WWB ?
Here wally charges 20 bucks for winchester 9 mm luger full metal jacket 115 gr.
The good stuff is at least twice that from local shooting supply.
But im plenty impressed with the wally world paper punching winchesters, seems accurate and it doesent stuff up my Glock.And it will put a hole in something.
Wally's .22 is absolute junk though its Federal .36 gr copper plated .Freaking dangerous.
U get one dud per every five ina bad pack.
Some packs i get no duds at all though

It's been 5 years or so but I used to get IMI 9mm (comparable to WWB) for about $150/1000 at gun shows.

If you want good .22LR ammo try Fiocchi Supermatch. It's pricey but I get 5/8" groups at 50 meters with a worn out Ruger 10/22 and and 3/8" groups with a Kimber SVT... 10 shot groups... good stuff, extremely consistent.

Back