pistols

A .44Mag Blackhawk is without a doubt the funnest handgun on the planet.

I'm more of a SRH kinda guy. I even like the looks of the SRH. I bought one for my "bear gun" in Kodiak. Never carried it once. (The danger of bears thing is greatly overblown.) I like it for a bear gun because of the DA/SA abilities of it.

Except to the person being attacked by a bear. They would disagree! :)

I agree, and there are times when a gun is a good thing, but I've had six bear encounters of less than 10', and they're not the monsters that alot of tourists think they are. Yeah, there's bear encounters every year, but did you know there's more alligator attacks in the US then there are bear attacks? Most of avoiding bear trouble is knowing how to move through their country, and then how to react when you see one.

Great movie!

200px-TheEdgeposter.jpg

Ah, my bad. I was talking about auto loaders. DE does make a 44mag in an auto loader, but it's not exactly a small gun.

If one wanted to compare dick sizes of production guns, the 460SW (same diameter as a 45ACP) or the 500SW would be king, or near it. I believe I remember running the numbers and found that at 100 yards, a 460SW has more energy left than a 44mag starts off with. It's comparable to the 45-70 in a strong action, but I would think the 45-70 would take the lead in heavier (450gr+) loads due to case capacity.

A 44Mag is a whole nother power level, but there's nothing magical about it either, regardless of Clint Eastwood.

Going from a 9mm to a 44Mag you loose 12 rounds and your splits go to hell.

And WHAT gun will do that, Carl? In my mind, that sentence is saying that there IS a gun that will do that. Of coures, I may be misreading it. ;)

How's that, Brian?

I was making the point that above a certain threshold (380ACP/38SPC for me) size doesn't matter, accuracy does.

As far as throwing someone with just kenetic energy, not likely. Guns with enough power to do that typically don't have bullets capable of dumping the energy into the target (they go through and through).

Add HE rounds and a 50BMG can get some movement, but that's generally overkill on fleshy targets.

I'm more of a SRH kinda guy. I even like the looks of the SRH. I bought one for my "bear gun" in Kodiak. Never carried it once. (The danger of bears thing is greatly overblown.) I like it for a bear gun because of the DA/SA abilities of it.

I hear ya Jeff, the redhawks are sweet. They're nicely set up for a scope and the DA would be easier.... but they are obnoxiously heavy to carry on the hip and I think the SBH is smoother shooting... at least for me.:D

Around here I'm more concerned about kitty's then bears..... no grizzly here so our "yogi's" are much smaller. We do have some big lions and you don't want anything to do with that tango. Moose are pretty damn aggressive and ornery as well.

As usual Carl has done his homework.:D

I will say I wouldn't mind getting my hands on a 9mm or a .45 auto just to have around but for the most part if I can't hunt with it then I'm not too interested.... now if they start letting me hunt for humans..... especially the stupid ones.... then I'll go for the autos.:evil::D

45/70 pistol? Holly shat that's a lot of gun in your hand!:O

Best I remember the 460 offers 45-70 power from your hand.

In kitty land I take a G20 (10mm Glock) hands down over a 6 shot 44. 16 rounds of 10mm goes a long ways further than six 44's, plus reloads are fast and don't require much dexterity (gloves/cold hands). It's also powerful enough to take white tails out to 40-50 yards.

Carl please enlighten me on everything i need and where to get it so that i can re load 1000 rounds of 9 mill for 50.00 bucks?
I meen, if you dont mind , ive got potato sac of casings .
And i wont pay myself 20.00 because im sure ill be ultra slow.
Proably load 50 the go shoot umm all immediatly.Then back to loading.
I have re loaded 12 gauge way back in 86.but never anything else.
I have a gun freak buddy down in atlanta that im sure will give me pointers.But man that is so cheap.
1000 rounds for 50 bucks i need to know
PLEASE:D

Jerry it ain't no thang-You just have to cast your own boolits.

And if you belong to a range you can dig more lead than you'll ever use out of pistol backstops.

The RCBS multi-stage systems are really fast for reloading, especially pistol rounds. It's hard to do match grade rifle rounds in one of those though because of all the intermediate measuring and tuning steps... it's a time sink.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
well fellas, I stopped into a gun store and checked things out. they showed me: barreta, glock, sprinfield, ruger sr9, and something else. I liked the way the sr9 fit my hand and I also like the external safety. the others as the guy put it 'you keep your finger out the the trigger guard, and thats your safety'. yea well, bullshat. no safety, im not as interested. plus the sr9 is smaller than the others. I ended up ordering one from my range guy tonite. should be here monday.

carl, I too would like to know how to reload 1000 rounds for $50. I have a rock chucker and some other stuff, just need to set it all up.

btw, if anyone needs 13#'s of .38sp brass and ?? of .357, I have some that Ill never use. make me an offer I cant refuse. I even have the dies to go w/ them.

The trigger safety really is proven and does work. I was leary of it at first, but after carrying my G19 for a while I got comfortable with it very quickly. It is sound.

The 1000 rds is done on a progressive machine. Dillons is the best, but the most expensive. Lee makes one as well that seems to work alright. You're single stage can do it, just not as fast, that's what I load on BTW (a Redding). And you are shooting lead, not jacketed bullets.

Figure out where you want to get you're pratice in. If you want to shoot at the store range you may have to buy ammo from them to shoot there.

Congrats, I hope you like it!! Nothing wrong with the Rugers.

Lsat mouth i shot a s&w .40 cal (SW40VE) was not impressed with the gun. It was top heavy when half way through the clip. The trigger was rough & hard to pull. Now the taurus 92 9mm had a solid frame with a smooth trigger pull. Weight was every even with ammo & with out ammo. Was very easy to put back on the target after each shot.

Or you could buy a deserter eagle 44 cal. haha!!!

Attachments

• 120023_large.jpg
    120023_large.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 92SS.jpg
    92SS.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 53
  • 116500749_a1019f3584.jpg
    116500749_a1019f3584.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 55
Congrats on the purchase! A quick google search led me to this SR9 review and it certainly looks like a nice piece. They say not to dry fire it without the magazine though, it results in a gritty trigger pull.

David, just remember to keep your fuggin finger off the trigger unless you're shooting.

External safeties are redundant to the 4th on something like a Glock/MP/Sigma/24/7 ect.

I reload for $70 (SEVENTY) per k paying myself $15 PER HOUR on a Dillon 650 with a primer sorter (fills the primer tubes on its own), case feeder, and bullet feeder.

1k rounds takes about 40 minutes.

I buy bullets from Precision Bullets in TX. Casting quantities sucks unless you go automated.

Back