Pintle Hook/BMG Grapple

brendonv

Tree Hugger
I need ideas on how to fabricate a slide in pintle hitch compatible with the BMG grapple. I was going to buy another plate with a receiver on it, but I don't want to have to take the grapple on and off, on and off, just to move the chipper around site.

As I understand, the BMG rake slides into the vertical square tube on the grapple plate. There is even holes there to slide the pine through already.

I was thinking of an L shaped receiver...with a plate on the end to bolt the pintle hook too. I would make it stop right in the middle of the grapple, and possibly hang a chain from the top of it, to the top of the horizontal tube on the grapple so it doesn't torque the weld apart.

Ideas, ideas, ideas.

Attachments

• 6-15-07 003.jpg
    6-15-07 003.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 17
or you could just extend the insert tube down a little further and weld a 3/8" plate to the front of that with your pintle bolted to the plate. weight hangs from your pin.

I have a seperate plate.....my chipper is heavy so without the grapple I can lift more. It doesn't take long to switch out....
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YAQPK3aciTo&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YAQPK3aciTo&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I guess it doesn't take long if your moving it once, but like today, I moved the chipper maybe 3 times. I guess thats one of the perks of having a smaller chipper, bring it where you want it. I have a ball mounted on the BMG and for now the ring just rests on top because it doesn't go all the way around. It's sketchy.

I hate dealing with the hydro lines, even though I release the pressure, I have found temperature change (sitting in the sun/shade) will make the fluid expand/contract and making reconnection a biatch. I wish there was some kind of in line pressure release mechanism.

With my new years resolution, I am keeping spending to a limit this year :). I have the steel, and my buddy owes me some welding for some firewood I wanted out of the yard. So I'm gonna try to get together with him this week and weld something up. Figure it will cost $50 for the bolt on pintle, instead of 100+ for the receiver plate and the extra $50 for the pintle.

i may try it to. my chipper is heavy but i have the steel and an old pintle. justin i can move mine with the grapple but the closer to the dingo the better

So you can't or don't want to grab your chipper with the grapple itself?

I thought I had remembered you (Willie) posting something about doing that before.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
No way. It's just not stable.

Think, if you are trying to get up over a grade of some sort, the grapple will be turning and flailing around. If one tire on the chipper encounters a rock or something, it will push the grapple to the side changing the direction.

It just won't work, unless you work in parking lots. It needs a rigid mount IMO.

Anyways, you'd scratch the paint!

I pretty much use mine only on drives with no turn around. Or a tight set up....2-3 time a month, tops.

I'll be trying it out in my yard with my old chipper just to test it out. The BMG won't fit in the eye of the trailer hitch? Then you wouldn't really be scratching anything.

careful...dont bend the grapple itself......it aint that burly if the chipper gets going.MOUNTING plates are cheap! Little control that way too...

I have a mounting plate with a receiver welded on that I've used a few times. I suppose if you can adapt a receiver quick attach dealio on to the bmg for cheap than that'd be the way to go fo sure.

But knowing myself I'm still gonna have to expirement abit next time I'm messing around in the yard with the mini.

it's hard to move my new chipper with the mini though.....but it can move my mini round'!
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/w8IR2XPnJG8&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/w8IR2XPnJG8&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

oops , this is it...
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rwArE6T1sSE&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rwArE6T1sSE&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

I rarely use the mini to move the chipper, but when I do, I just take the chipper chains and hook them up to the BMG and push it around. I would only do it on level stable ground as my chipper has a good amount of tongue weight. If i needed to do it regularly I would have a dedicated mounting plate like the Bivyless one.

yup that was me squishy, i only do it on flat level places and very slowly but im game to try it out

I move my chipper about by grabbing the tounge just behind the pindle, and pushing the pindle against the back plate of the grapple.

You won't be pulling your chipper very much, not enough ass. I move mine about a goodly bit like this on uneven, bumpy terrain without issue.

Oh I'm kind of the king of half-fast .That said you can make a mover by just using a piece of round stock steel and threading a hole ,then a plate on top of it to prevent it from getting away .They use a similar set up to hook up stuff at the rental places if you don't have a pintle reciever .

My little buddy Tom the tree guy just uses a ball in the front of the bucket of his skid loader.Works well .His old Lindag chipper weighs a bloody ton,no way,no how could you move it by hand .

All this talk about chippers and minis is making antsy for both. When my chipper was ordered on Feb 20 they said it would take about a month. My dealer told Morbark that the chipper absolutely had to be here no later than April 7. Morbark scheduled it to ship on April 7 and according to my dealer they are unwilling to bump the date up and get it here sooner. No matter now as its almost the 7th but this has been going on since approx Mar 20.

You guys have got me thinking of how I can put a pintle on the loader bucket of my tractor. I can already move the chipper by hooking it to the drawbar but the loader would be much easier. Just haven't figured out how to make one that either won't interfere with what you're doing or is easy to take on and off.

mine weighs 3.5 tons:D

Mine's only 3. I have a (slightly) harder time moving the manly lifter because of the fairly heavy tounge weight although the jockey wheel on the jack would make that easier, it's a pita to drop.

Well, depending on the size of the pintle take a 3 or 4 inch long piece of round cold roll,,bore a 1" or even 3/4" inch hole through it and bolt it to the center of the bucket .Two wrenchs,off and on in about a minute .

That ball on the front of Tom's skidder is the cat's meow.You can back anything on the front of a skidder,about like threading a big needle,figuratively speaking .

I use a similar thing on the front of my tractor.You can spot a trailer with accuracy you can't even dream of doing with a truck. Once you have a front hitch thing you will wonder why in the world you never had one before .

You guys have got me thinking of how I can put a pintle on the loader bucket of my tractor. I can already move the chipper by hooking it to the drawbar but the loader would be much easier. Just haven't figured out how to make one that either won't interfere with what you're doing or is easy to take on and off.

Lots of guys around here weld a hook on the top edge of the bucket. Tilt the bucket forward and Voila! yer good to go.

You could weld a threaded rod on the top of yours...

Back