Pintle Hook/BMG Grapple

My Woodsman 18X weighs 8500 lbs. and has a tongue weight of 800 lbs. Even with just a receiver plate on it, the back end lifts up when trying to pick up the chipper. Neither my Prowler or Gehl Advantage can move it.

Some of those baby skidders can't handle a lot of weight .Handy as a pocket on a shirt but lack a little in the a$$ department .

My Bandit doesn't have chit for tongue weight when it's sitting level. The manlift has 4-500lbs I'm guessing, more than we can pick up by hand, but the grapple does it with ease (unless I aint on the back of it).

my bandti was terribly light on the tounge, bounced around in the hitch going down the road, one guy could stand on the infeed chute and tip the tounge in the air :O morbark is set up right about 10 percent on the tounge

My Bandit doesn't have chit for tongue weight when it's sitting level. The manlift has 4-500lbs I'm guessing, more than we can pick up by hand, but the grapple does it with ease (unless I aint on the back of it).

LJ, your chipper has LOTS of tongue weight, it is just that you are so heavy :P

My Bandit's got some tongue weight to it. More than I can lift by hand and no bounciness while trailering. Could have something to do with the 140 ponies sitting up front though.:D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
My dad smuggled a steel plate out of work today, so hopefully this weekend I will get this little idea together. Updates ahead.

Lots of guys around here weld a hook on the top edge of the bucket. Tilt the bucket forward and Voila! yer good to go.

You could weld a threaded rod on the top of yours...

I was just thinking of putting something on top of the bucket that way it wouldn't interfere with anything, when I came to your post.

I finally got it done. Total cost, under $60.

This is superior to a separate mount IMO considering it goes on and off in 2.5 seconds without disconnecting anything, plus it's light as a feather. I used it this morning and I recommend it to any mini owner.

Attachments

• mini pintle 001.jpg
    mini pintle 001.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 7
  • mini pintle 002.jpg
    mini pintle 002.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 8
Crap, that reminds me I've gotta work with the mini this afternoon. Luckly it isn't that much, but I best get to it.

Looking good. You may find you need to upsize the pin depending on how much you use it and how much weight you're putting on it.

It'll take a load to break that 1/4" pin, or even bend it. It's just taking the tongue weight, and I think something else would bust before hand.

I was thinking more of the weight causing the hole to wallow out.

Then again, I doubt you'll use it that much?

I was thinking more of the weight causing the hole to wallow out.

Then again, I doubt you'll use it that much?

Probably not crazy amounts of use, but enough to have it around.

Like today I brought the chipper to the brush pile, and angled it precisely unlike being limited with the truck.

A good tool to have IMO.

Probably not crazy amounts of use, but enough to have it around.

Like today I brought the chipper to the brush pile, and angled it precisely unlike being limited with the truck.

A good tool to have IMO.

looks good

I don't see the wallowing being an issue. Standard receiver hitches use the same style setup, except horizontal. The wallowing effect from stopping/ starting and hitting bumps would be much more than any wallowing from tongue weight, and it's not an issue on any hitch I've ever seen except for one or two extreme exceptions.

heres mine...no grapple mount though

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YAQPK3aciTo&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YAQPK3aciTo&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Usually a reciever hitch doesn't "wallow ". That pin by the way is not 1/4" ,more like 1/2" or 5/8" . My Reese hitch head I have had for over 30 years ,on at least 4 or 5 vehicles and it shows very little wear . That thing has pulled a 15,000 lb D4 Cat for several years too on a trailer that weighed over 3,5000 .Just a tad overloaded .;)

I guess ya'll are missing the part where the pin is holding all the tounge weight as opposed to just the push pull. In addition, unless my eyes decieve me, the tube that goes inside grapple's tube is smaller, thus there is now rotation for the minisule amount it can wiggle forward and aft. But wait, it doesn't stop there. Now when he's pushing from the side, the pin must take the torque from the tube and transmit it to the frame of the grapple as the tube is undersized on all 4 sides. The tube could slide slightly and bottom out on the grapples tube, however, that adds more motion across the pin. Add that to the 1/8" wall of the hitch's tube and I could forsee an issue.

Thus I said he MAY need to upsize the pin if it does cause problems. Welding washers onto the hitch's tube wouldn't hurt, nor would a couple peices of flat bar to take up the space between the tubes.

Still, it looks good. :)

his bar is so long the slop wont matter, and the little use it will get compared to a hitch wont matter, looks like a great setup to me

Back