Petzl Pantin Foot Ascender Question

Old Monkey

Treehouser
I have been playing around with entering the occasional tree with SRT. Just about every ascent I go up I manage to have the rope come out of the Pantin foot ascender. I have been told to clip a carabiner in the top of my hand ascender to lock the rope in. I have been doing that and it works great. I noticed that the Pantin has a hole that if you put a carabiner into it would hold the rope captive. A carabiner placed in the hold would undoubtedly hurt but it occurred to me that a rubber stopper for a chemistry flask would fit in the hole, painlessly keeping the rope captive in the Pantin. I haven't tried it yet and I need to figure out where to buy a rubber stopper locally. I'd also need a way to tie a string onto the stopper to attach it to the Pantin. Any ideas?

Could you drill the stopper and then insert your string through it and then tie a knot that couldn't be pulled back through? If that's what you were asking, interesting idear.

I've never had my rope come out. Is there something in your technique that would make it more prone?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'll film myself in slow motion and find out.

It'd probably work. A dinky keychain biner willl work with less agony than a standard........but I put up with an occasional accidental kickout considering it worth the trade off to be able to disengage easily when I actually want to. I use my pantin almost every climb whether SRT or DdRT.

Darin, my climbing style also promotes that rope popping out. Some climbers, it doesn't happen.
Your idea sounds like it would work, but you might want to check out the new CMI. It has a longer 'gullet' for the rope. I have not tried it but it looks like it would solve the problem

Nope... never. Could be because I climb slower than I used to; so I'm not "whipping" the rope as much?

figure out wht position or movement makes it come out and then dont do that. seems smart alec but its true!

Well, instead of SRT or DdRT, you could do what I do and try to do things NRT.

;) That's the NO rope technique.

Bucket...

or notch, drop, walk away.

Lol, I'm a bucket slug too. But if I gotta climb without spurs the pantin is essential for my untalented ass.:lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think I'll build my own trebuchet and launch myself into trees.

Yah he does great slow motion. I was just watching the GRCS vid the other night again, awesome slo-mo in there. I made my wife watch it, to help explain to her why I'll be buying one. Very convincing vid, thanks for the ammo.:D

Darin, most people who have problems with the Pantin are using a leg motion similar to footlocking. When you push your knee out sideways, your foot turns up and the rope pops out. With the Pantin you need to keep your knees in and foot level like you're climbing a ladder.

Darin. Unfortunately the trebuchet is an engine of war that qualifies as a weapon of mass destruction. You'll have to buy an existing model and pay a $200 transfer fee.

Back