Petzl Pantin Foot Ascender Question

My straps look different (not because of the modificaion). I am going to look at mine tomorrow, I think they changed something in the strap to keep it from wandering. Let ya know tomorrow.

When I first got mine I was having difficulties keeping it on the rope too. I was going to take it back but the salesman told me to stand on my heel (toes pointed up) and it should work fine..... he was right.

So, if you're having problems with your pantin it is because of your technique.

Update on the pantin... Works period... Did another ascent today, 40 plus feet and its all in how you use it... Never came out of it once. Handy lil bugger...;):D
Makes a "foot up" a whole new kind of expression :D

poor man's pantin

Sometimes I get out to the tree, hooked up, and then realize I left the pantin in the truck...if its too much bother to go get it, here is an alternative:

make a half hitch in your rope and put it over your foot so the ground facing end is closest to your leg, and inside your ankle (where your pantin would go)...lock the rope by pointing your toe downwards and stand up, point your toe up and the rope unlocks, slide your foot up, point toe down, lock the rope, and carry on! You need the same upright technique as using a real pantin to keep the rope properly locked on the push down. I find it a bit easier on the old knees than the regular footlock.

I learned this from Moss over at AS, tried it out on a rec climb in Boston..., so simple and it works, the picture is of just getting the half hitch in place...the toe point lock thing takes a few moments to get used to.

Attachments

• poor mans pantin.JPG
    poor mans pantin.JPG
    239.7 KB · Views: 6
Absolutely, Bermy. And sometimes it's helpful to use your left foot to step on the rope on your right foot as you ascend. :)

the poor mans Pantin - moss showed me that - it is great - switch legs also - and even with the pantin using the other leg to advise or hold the rope until the weight it there - works - great suggestion Skwerl

I had read and saw pictures of the technique, and that's a great pic there Bermy. I have yet to try it. I kind of cheated in a way and bought acenders before I worked on foot locking etc.... Least I feel I did. Just with the tree work escalating in my business, I have had to get on the ball and on the rope so to speak with little time to perfect things.. LOL The poor mans patin is definitely on my list ;)

Back