Petzl Pantin Foot Ascender Question

Yup, turning your knee out also turns the Pantin sideways. And if you have the ascender sideways to the rope then the rope will pop out. Try to keep your foot level.

Erik, Yeah, NRT. I don't climb much at all since I became a bucket baby.

But you said that so much of your work was back yard stuff and other areas inaccessable to a bucket?
:?

Are you changing your business model to best fit the equipment you own? ;)

Some of it still is inaccessible to the bucket......but my business model did some morphing on its own-It seems like as soon as the bucket showed up the removal calls increased greatly and as things happened to work out many of them WERE bucket accessible. Not all-I bid 2 removals and a pruning job yesterday that will be all climbing.

i had the pop out problem and tried the keychain biner...i also tried using my other foot, and dont bring it up as far , it doesnt pop out as much

I usually put the keychain biner in that hole when introducing use of the Pantin to climbers who have'nt used it before, just to cut down on the initial frustration. But the device is more convenient if you don't have to do that, as getting out of it is so much quicker/easier.

In addition to the advice offered by Sqwerl on technique, consider this: the device is designed to allow kicking free from the rope by a sharp movement to the rear, with your heel leading. If you keep foot motion slightly forward, toe leading, as you lift your leg, the rope will stay put well.

Darin, also where are are you placing the pantin in relation to your ankle? It should ride in front of your ankle bone.
Seen folks place it behind. It doesn't work as well.

I dont have the problem with it pooping off the rope, too much anyway. Id say its about technique as Brian eluded. Try to keep your foot level and the Pantin in line with the rope for every stride.

I like the way it can pop off the rope. I make my ascent then when I reach my destination. I give my foot a bit of a kick outward and it pops off the line. I would hate to have to reach down remove a biner and open the cam.

Technique!

I used to have this problem with my Pantin. I finally called Petzl about it and was told it is supposed to do this. Apparently they designed it so that if you point your toe up or down (can't remember which) the rope will pop out without you having to reach down and take it out with your hand. You can prevent this by either inserting a carabiner to limit the travel of the cam, or by keeping your foot level, or by getting a CMI foot ascender instead.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I found a stopper that fit the hole perfectly. I need to drill a hole in it for a string and try it to see if it is annoying that way or a good idea.

Side note: I am a tired 41 year old and there is an antic four year old running through the house singing and being nuts. Its almost like she is an alien from another planet.

keychain Krab and a Kong with sling for other foot. Use both legs, and arm as assist, but also (arms) just to keep body close to rope/more inline and balanced.

You may want to check out the Pantines cam spring to see if it offers enough springyness to keep the cam snug against your rope.

or by getting a CMI foot ascender instead.

Did they really say that - Talk about customer service

i use a keychain biner - but it only happen when i am low on the ground

hmm

The spring on the Pantin is not supposed to be very tight. Sorry HC, but I think you're mistaken on this one.

Y'all are trying to mechanically fix a problem with your technique. The ascender isn't broken (except for the crappy strap that comes loose unless you sew it in place). Permanently secure the lower strap so the Pantin stays wherre it's supposed to and then keep your foot level while ascending and it works exactly as designed.

I am not trying to be a critical know it all , but I have tried to integrate a Pantain into my single line ascents... It simply doesn't work for my style ...

Y'all are trying to mechanically fix a problem with your technique....... keep your foot level while ascending and it works exactly as designed.

I agree...I use a Pantin always when ascending the rope...as long as I consistently use proper foot technique the rope stays in the Pantin. You just have to be aware of whether or not you are dinking your foot all over the place or not...kind of like folks sticking out their tongue unbeknownst to them when they are doing something difficult. :P

Just bought one and used it on two jobs.. Took this thread, a pm with gary and a few minutes with it and I got it right away. I like it, just have to keep the foot relatively level and it works well. Playing with some other techniques with it and the foot loop with the Petzel ascender. I like that I can make a ladder on my rope with the pantin and the foot loop as I get up over branches and such. Makes for a good stabilizer in some cases too.

Get a needle and thread and sew the bottom strap in place, otherwise it will end up slipping and falling off during use. I don't have much in the way of sewing supplies so I used 30 lb test spectra fishing line. I think I had about 4 years of use on this one when I took the picture, it still looks about the same.

Back