Petzl Ball-lock Biner Failure

I used the original ball locks for years, but when the tri-acts came out I instantly liked them much better and bought a few. I haven't used a ball lock since. In fact, I have a half dozen in the shop including 2 that probably haven't seen 2 hours of service. I've never bought any of the new style ball locks.

Always been a crappy carabeaner.
The ball lock is hoaky.

Never liked them.

I'm not a negative creep, I just like a different carabeaner.

When I was forced to start using locking biners I was handed ball-locks. I've been using them ever since and I still like'em. I do agree those little tabs are screwed up and need to be changed but ball locks are great for harness tie-ins. I use Triacts too but on the harness those edges at the top of the gate snag on stuff and the ball-locks don't.

Stuff breaks. Trees are hard on gear... we're gonna break stuff.

I'm curious Roger, once the ball breaks, is the biner basically double acting or is it just completely screwed?

First sappy tree I worked with a ball lock and the damm thing gummed up.

I prefer real biners myself. The ball locks remind me of wal-mart. No offense Butch, just kind of cheesy.

I am not a fan of the ball-locks. I've had several get ruined from pitch and sap getting on the button, which simply doesn't happen with the tri action design. I also get complaints about this from customers at Wesspur who've had the same problem. This is a good example of piece of equipment that works great for rock climbing/mountaineering world it was designed for, but totally sucks for tree climbing.

I am not a fan of the ball-locks. I've had several get ruined from pitch and sap getting on the button, which simply doesn't happen with the tri action design. I also get complaints about this from customers at Wesspur who've had the same problem. This is a good example of piece of equipment that works great for rock climbing/mountaineering world it was designed for, but totally sucks for tree climbing.

Bingo, same here. In conifer work, especially cone picking up in the pitchiest parts of the tree they are an abismal failure of design. We have also seen repeated breakage of the tiny corner of the barrel that covers the nose of the biner, in the original plastic barrel models. If that goes, it's a non-locking biner straightaway.

I like e'm, I just don't use them on pitchy trees. (Sacrificed one for that lesson...)

B by S...you probably get the pitch out of your lanyard and rope by wearing it off on the next few trees, right? :|:

Come on up to conifer country and see how you fare. :)

Ahh, I'm seeing a pattern here. Seems like most in the northern areas with lots of conifers don't like the ball locks, but down here in the south with lots of non-conifers they aren't a problem. Butch works on lots of yellow pines so he may not like them, but I may only work one pine tree out of 20 jobs. I never had a problem with pitch, mainly because I don't deal with a lot of pitch.

I still prefer the tri-act. ;)

Ahh, I'm seeing a pattern here. Seems like most in the northern areas with lots of conifers don't like the ball locks,

That is a very wise observation.

According to what a climber encounters, the equipment changes.

To a person asking what is 'the best', well it depends.

Back