Pathogens regional effect on removal work

Altissimus

TreeHouser
...we have all read and even heard some of the stories, in my area they could not remove the Elms and haul off to burn them up fast enough back in the day. Nowadays ALB, EAB, Adelgids,and now even Oak wilt are popping up as confirmed in my region. Yet I still see the removal business for all size operators around here be same old slow and steady. No massive die offs that I can see really. According to the experts all the Ash and Hemlock are doomed.... perhaps Pathogen exaggeration?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
...most loggers and Timber stand managers here are cutting all the Ash for better or worse...be it a sawlog going to the mill ... if flawed or small diameter then firewood...pre-emptive harvest I suppose

Oak wilt is up here? That's no good

Hemlock wooly adelgid is all over the place here. I have mine sprayed but it's not like every hemlock around here is in decline... I know EAB came to western MA and was in southern NH last year. Probably only a couple years before it's local.

Sometimes I feel like things are a little exaggerated too, but now I work in Worcester, MA now where the asian longhorn beetle absolute decimated some areas. I think officials may exaggerate just to keep us vigilant. Nobody wants to see what happened in Worcester happen in their neighborhood.

Yeah, I think maybe it doesn't get scary until it's too late. I am originally from southern Wisconsin and have logged in woods in WI/IL where big red oak, ash, and elm are fairly dominant and are ALL mostly dead/dying. I have also lived in western NC and seen the hemlock graveyards, acres of standing dead BIG hemlock... Creepy.....

Do you have a link for the Oak Wilt? I couldn't find much current info other than a confirmed case in NYS from 2008. Should I start waiting until winter to prune oaks in VT? Which is what we did in WI.

...we have all read and even heard some of the stories, in my area they could not remove the Elms and haul off to burn them up fast enough back in the day. Nowadays ALB, EAB, Adelgids,and now even Oak wilt are popping up as confirmed in my region. Yet I still see the removal business for all size operators around here be same old slow and steady. No massive die offs that I can see really. According to the experts all the Ash and Hemlock are doomed.... perhaps Pathogen exaggeration?

I read that this last Summer Oak wilt was confirmed in Western NY...sorry no link...no experience with it but reading about it seems a bad one...what's your locale 802 ..?...

Adelgids in Brattleboro Hemlocks ..confirmed two summers ago..we trimmed one with funny white stuff on the undersides of branches...Tree owner and I both work on Ski Patrol with a State Forester who confirmed our suspicions, though actually the two Hemlocks still look great...maybe we pruned out the little bugs..?...

Yeah for sure HWA is in Bennington and Windham and it was recently confirmed in Windsor Co.

Oak wilt is also some scary shit, I had no idea it was anywhere near New England but I do believe it.

Back