One Man Band- climbing and rigging, groundwork, business mgmt.

I would be looking for property maintenance/gardening type work to keep the groundsman busy if there was significant demand for this type of tree work (cut n leave). You could use a whistle to call the groundy when needed and have him come to the tree every 30 mins or whatever to check on you-the rest of the time he can clean gutters or pull weeds out.

This kind of situation just begs for the RopeTec communication system. On days when you don't really have enough work for a ground guy to directly assist you in a tree climbing operation, you could add value for the customer as you say, by having your assistant do whatever outside maintenance work the customer desires. The assistant gets a steady paycheck, you get someone who can assist you when needed, and call emergency personnel in a pinch.

The offers to customers to do other types of work that needs doing might actually open up additional revenue streams, depending on the skillsets of the groundies.

You would need to find a ground guy who is humble enough to be game for most any task the customer wants help with. The goal would be to keep the groundie productive and adding enough value so that everybody stays happy. Just a thought.

Tim

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
A good thought. I use the Ropetek/ Sena comm system. They are just great all around.

Lunch time is client time, I politely ask the client for a coffee as we are having lunch. Then, as they bring it out to the yard it's a great time to engage with them and find out if it's what they're expecting. That way we have a lot less complaints as were getting a feel for the customer throughout the job process. We don't always talk trees with the client either, just...........chat with them and make sure they're on your side.
So lunch isn't a break as were still working, the art is not letting the client realise that;)

Jake, if you are really only 26 years old, you are wise beyond your years. What you outlined above is so slick and subtle and perceptive, it has me wondering if you own the company, or are at least in a foreman's position. Good on ya, man!

Tim

:lol:this made me laugh, I must admit I do get bored at lunch and can't really just sit and relax and do nothing. If I'm not chatting to clients I'll be sharpening saws or changing chipper blades. The other lads says it makes them feel bad for having a break when I'm working but I just can't sit still for that long.

Simply amazing. There's a fire in that belly of yours.

Tim

This kind of situation just begs for the RopeTec communication system. On days when you don't really have enough work for a ground guy to directly assist you in a tree climbing operation, you could add value for the customer as you say, by having your assistant do whatever outside maintenance work the customer desires. The assistant gets a steady paycheck, you get someone who can assist you when needed, and call emergency personnel in a pinch.

The offers to customers to do other types of work that needs doing might actually open up additional revenue streams, depending on the skillsets of the groundies.

You would need to find a ground guy who is humble enough to be game for most any task the customer wants help with. The goal would be to keep the groundie productive and adding enough value so that everybody stays happy. Just a thought.

Tim
Honestly I think that's daft, get your groundsman to do what? Weed the flowerbeds with a helmet on while you do the tree, occasionally running over to untie a rope.

P.S. The idea is not to bid it cheap, so as to get the job, its to have tricks to be more efficient, with or without a groundie.

I'd guess that I self-lower 80% of my rigging. My work in my market is rarely rigging logs. Sometimes.

This good-sized doug-fir that I just finished could have been all self-rigged, and lowered, but definitely needed a groundie to untie, and move out of the dropzone. There was a wire and light beneath. Biggest piece was probably under 250 pounds. The tree's top and logs were free-fallen onto brush pads.

The less I sit in the tree waiting, frequently watching the groundie struggle to lower and land a piece, the more efficiently the operate can go.

I'm on the look out for another BMS Belay Spool. A cheap, good tool for lowering with top-side friction.

Here's a link to the mini port-a-wrap, which I own and love.

http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=126

I'm going to attempt to either embed video or at least attach a link here that I hope will be helpful. It has been awhile since I last tried to do this, so I'm out of practice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD9UwilsrAE

Tim

Honestly I think that's daft, get your groundsman to do what? Weed the flowerbeds with a helmet on while you do the tree, occasionally running over to untie a rope.

:lol: Thanks for your honest response to my post, Mick. That's why I love reading what you write on this forum. I in no way deny that I'm daft!

:lol:

Tim

I spend about 80% of my time working alone. This is primarily driven by the limited market around here and the lack of money.
In simple terms, if I refused to cut & climb without other to work along side me, I would have even less work than I have already.
I work hard & smart & try & reduce risk to acceptable levels

You'll want to use a stiff rope with those spools, otherwise they can be a pain as the primary rigging point. It's tough to get the rope to release and ride the spool, you kinda gotta feed it and pull it at the same time. Great friction/control under load though.

DSC04717.jpg

I wrap my Belay Spool twice over the top, as compared to three times as you show, for most everything. If I'm top-rigging (not negative blocking) log chunks off, I might use three.

Right on Sean.

I had it in my mind to use the belay spool as the upper block in my double-whip setup, with a slide line sling girthed around the piece. Lower off the spool, unhook the other leg of rope from the tree, and pull it all back up. When out of slings head down and grab them all up and start over. . . It worked but I spent a lot of time feeding rope through the spool. I guess I could have just unhooked everything easy enough. Next time.

Jake, if you are really only 26 years old, you are wise beyond your years. What you outlined above is so slick and subtle and perceptive, it has me wondering if you own the company, or are at least in a foreman's position. Good on ya, man!

Tim

:D Thanks Tim, I wasn't a a owner or Forman, just a team leader. But it's what I do to ensure the job is done correctly and client is happy. I am however about to move back to Britain to start on my own.
This isn't because I know I can do better and am better off being self employed. It's because I felt like I was treated unfairly and taken for granted. I've had only 2 jobs in 10 years of tree work so you can hardly say I'm not committed.
The 2 owners I've worked for only do things for themselves and always play victim, I want to break that mould and treat people fairly and part of a team. I'm starting this journey not knowing what I want to be, but know what I DONT want to be.

Grendel, if using in a double who tackle configuration, consider a Munter-mule-overhand tie off. Releasable under load.

I don't see anything daft about getting paid $200 extra each day old mate :)

Jake I always value very highly anyone that helps create customer rapport- mostly I'm just not in the mood to chitchat as too wary of being asked for extras

:D Thanks Tim, I wasn't a a owner or Forman, just a team leader. But it's what I do to ensure the job is done correctly and client is happy. I am however about to move back to Britain to start on my own.
This isn't because I know I can do better and am better off being self employed. It's because I felt like I was treated unfairly and taken for granted. I've had only 2 jobs in 10 years of tree work so you can hardly say I'm not committed.
The 2 owners I've worked for only do things for themselves and always play victim, I want to break that mould and treat people fairly and part of a team. I'm starting this journey not knowing what I want to be, but know what I DONT want to be.

Jake, I think you are probably a natural leader, and your sensitivity to the happiness of the customer bodes well for your future success. I'm betting that word of mouth will help you become very successful. Best of luck in your future endeavors.

Tim

You'll want to use a stiff rope with those spools, otherwise they can be a pain as the primary rigging point. It's tough to get the rope to release and ride the spool, you kinda gotta feed it and pull it at the same time. Great friction/control under load though.

View attachment 61545

Great photograph of the belay spool, up close. Thanks for posting this.

Tim

Right on Sean.

I had it in my mind to use the belay spool as the upper block in my double-whip setup, with a slide line sling girthed around the piece. Lower off the spool, unhook the other leg of rope from the tree, and pull it all back up. When out of slings head down and grab them all up and start over. . . It worked but I spent a lot of time feeding rope through the spool. I guess I could have just unhooked everything easy enough. Next time.

I know I'm asking for a lot, but if you or someone else that is knowledgeable about this rigging setup could manage to do some kind of a crude drawing of the setup, I'd be really appreciative. Some of the terminology is unfamiliar to me, like double whip tackle, for instance, if I'm even calling it by the correct name.

Short of that, a recommendation of a book that deals with all of these concepts, that you think just kicks ass.

Thanks in advance.

Tim

Great thread Sean...especially since I climb solo 95% of the time. It seems that most tree guys prefer to always have help, which is no doubt safer, but a guy can make it work solo, and still maintain safe practices, and be a professional. Pretty much everything that has been mentioned already, as far as tips and tricks, I have utilized. I like to natural crotch rig, and find stubs for friction if I can. I have a mini pow, that I have used sometimes. Did a semi-vertical speed line job a while back, where I used a remote control warn winch to take up slack. Most of the time when I am self rigging, I have someone there that can undo the rigging. Around here, folks tend to be do-it-yourselfer's, so, if my client looks halfway competent, I will use them to help...most times just untying a knot, or sending a chainsaw up etc. I contract climb for a lot of forestry outfits around here, and they always have at least one guy that can help. I have 4 kids (14,15,17 and 23), and a Wife that can help as well. I have the proper ppe, for everyone that helps.

I choose to stay solo, because there is no way I could deal with the bs that comes with employees...I guess I am just too high strung :) I have learned to deal with some of the trials of working solo, and don't really mind. Sometimes when I see guys doing big rigging jobs, with awesome groundie's, I have to admit, that I get a little jealous. But, I seriously enjoy figuring out how to work solo, and stay as safe as possible. I have been so busy the last few years, that I just try to take the jobs that are easy for me, and if there is a lot of major rigging, I bid high, or refer to friends. The worst time I have had with staying solo, is not the tree work part, but all the other stuff...bidding, scheduling, books, maintenance, and being a family man. The dingo, has really helped me to keep from killing myself with cleaning up big jobs, I want to figure out how to turn it into remote control, and figure out how to undo knots with the bmg :) I am pretty good at breaking down my bids for people, and when they see what the cleanup costs are, sometimes they just want me to get the tree on the ground, so if I could just get more of them on board, to heck with the equipment! No, seriously though, I just want to stay small, get better at weeding out bad clients, spacing out my jobs enough where I am not running myself into the ground, and trying to keep my main goal of enjoying my job.

All of that is cool, but I'll never be convinced that it isn't (for most jobs) faster and more profitable to have at least one good hand working with you.

The safety part is just an additional benefit.

Back