One I think I'm gonna walk away from

Sounds like a bigtime screw-up by the contractor and whoever hired them. Clueless on both accounts comes to mind. Hell espescially if I was leaving and espescially if I had just been drug through the dirt after decades of dedicated professional work, I'd be bringing this up everyday until my last day. It's like a bad joke. Mindboggling really.

Like I said, an upright tree and a pickup don't bother me. More often then not, I can just tighten up on the tree and be done with the truck. One thing I despise is pushing trees over. I absolutely hate it. Be it a dozer blade, skidder blade, or excavator boom, I hate it. I know a lot of loggers that like to tip trees over with the skidded arch or blade. No siree, not for me. I let myself get roped into that style at one point. Briefly. I pushed a maple right off the stump (with loads of hinge holding it) once. It went butt first right off the stump and stood suspended for a moment, which felt like a year. It was a horror I hope I never encounter again. It ended up going over away from me in the skidder, but for a moment I accepted the idea that a 30" maple tree was about to come down on the cab of the skidder. I actually feel butterflies in my stomach thinking about it.

It's all measure.

For myself, working in the urban sector a pickup was quite adequate for most pulls I ever come across. It's so much faster than a come-a-long and can pull a tree to lay fast enough without it drifting to side. When the need was for greater pull capacity I called on heavy equipment.

In the woods it's another game all together. There's always enough power to do the pull, but sometimes it's not fast enough to see the tree to the lay. It's all in how you measure and calculate it.

How much time do you want to spend doing it? In the urban sector, all the time that it takes. In the woods, oh well....

Hell I'll pull a tree with whatever is appropriate. But you better damn well be able to finger out what is appropriate. And a big azz rotten fir with a backlean towards a historical structure is not something I'd ever have even entertained the thought of pulling with a flipping pick-up truck and shoddy rigging. That was just plain ass stupid.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I hear that Chris, loud and clear.

Butch, you could have stripped every limb off this tree, and it still would have weighed in excess of 20 tons. Improve the chances?...sure. Be done with the worrying?...no way, not with a lightweight pull like that.

Last edited:
Yah you get into work tomorrow and get to gloating. I'd really not be able to leave this one alone, espescially with one foot out the door.

Maybe by this time next year, YOU will be the hired outside contractor. You have the contacts and know their budget structures so you can effectively bid the jobs.

. It ended up going over away from me in the skidder, but for a moment I accepted the idea that a 30" maple tree was about to come down on the cab of the skidder. I actually feel butterflies in my stomach thinking about it.

I don't think a 30" maple would hurt a skidder, seeing as I once managed to drop probably a 28" hickory right on top of a skidder cab and there was no damage, though the skidder did seem to bounce a bit upon impact. Serious machines.

Maybe by this time next year, YOU will be the hired outside contractor. You have the contacts and know their budget structures so you can effectively bid the jobs.

It's an interesting point, Brian. One part of me is strongly considering that avenue, and additionally, the folks running the FS climbing program have laid all sorts of enticements out for consideration, and I'm not even out the door yet.

On the other hand, I already had a 32 year work career, and earned a decent, but not to be confused with juicy, pension. My investments have been conservative, but time is a great benefit to the patient invester, and I made some decisions that look way smarter than I am, at limiting exposure to the market downturns of these past 4-5 years.

Do I want another work career? I don't know. Right now, I'm going to focus hard on getting my hip replacement surgery and put in the effort to get the most out of the rehab process. A year from now that should all be put to bed, if the gods favor me. By then...who knows? That's a long time for people to remember Burnham. I'm not ready for a rocker, but I might just decide that playing is way more fun than working...been there, done that, you know the rest :D.

I don't think a 30" maple would hurt a skidder, seeing as I once managed to drop probably a 28" hickory right on top of a skidder cab and there was no damage, though the skidder did seem to bounce a bit upon impact. Serious machines.

I do believe you are right. But the idea of a tree coming down on me terrified me. We trust that the ROPS cabs will save us, but we don't find out for sure until the tree lands on us.

I well recall you writing that 99% sure that a fell will go right isn't good enough for you, it has to be 100%. Well, "improve the chances" is a far cry from 100%...

You need a new dodge with a 12k winch like you had before to do some creamy sub work!

I'm not ready for a rocker :D.

Me neither!!! And I'm 36 today!!! Errrr.....and lysdexic too..Guffaw.

You kick ass, Burn...

I might just decide that playing is way more fun than working...:D.

Though I still love most aspects of work, I too wanna play more!!

Hey, have you thought about coming to see the ITCC? It's Aug 11 and 12 in Portland. Laurelhurst Park

It's definitely on my radar, but the timing is poor, in relation to the upcoming hip surgery. If I'm mobile, I'll be there for some of it at least.

Back