OM don't even ask to borrow my chipper!

stehansen

Climbing Up
Since you dissed my chipper the other day I had to do some filming today. I want you to know that my feelings are offically hurt.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pruz_1zJJGo&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pruz_1zJJGo&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

I think my hired man may be sending secret signals to aliens by waving branches.

Looks like it's yellow...

Sure you didn't steal that chipper from DotPalm? :P

OK, OK. Your 1250 rocks. The one I used was beat up and performing poorly.

I didn't have any choice on his chipper. I had to use it as it came. We are going try to do next weeks full load of work chipper-less. Preston said he'd rather cut down the truck than use that chipper again. My chipper is in limbo. I talked to the guy at the dealership yesterday and he said he would prefer to replace the engine but that he needs to do a cost vs. benefit analysis to show the company that new would be cheaper than a rebuilt. If they go for it I might have a chipper for Christmas. In the meantime we'll just suffer.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah if it plugs on everything, it is easier to throw the brush into the truck.

I am the King of cutting down brush once more. No one seems to want to take my throne.

The only time I didn't use a chipper I stuffed the brush in my trailer with my tractor/loader. Back when I farmed we were allowed to burn and had a brush fork on a tractor and would push it in a big pile and light 'er up. Sometimes if it was hard to start we would even put some old tires in there and pour diesel on them to get the fire started. Talk about pollution.

A hair under $1,000/week. My days are in the $600-$1200 range so I am not certain I want to rent. The only decent rental is a BC 1000 at the Vermeer dealership two towns over.

Hey, OM. Did your chipper have a murphy switch on it. Shuts it downs if oil pressure drops?

Your chipper rocks Stehansen. I love to watch a well functioning chipper blow the mulch into the back of the truck. VRRRRRRRRRM!

That looks like it is making awsome mulch. Will you give it away?

I don't get it Darin, if it was a manufactures defect, it should be covered by warranty and he should just short block it. He still has to have a rep come out to ok it, and that should only take a few days, a week at the most. Good luck I hope you get it back soon.
See Ya
Mike

I don't get it Darin, if it was a manufactures defect, it should be covered by warranty and he should just short block it. He still has to have a rep come out to ok it, and that should only take a few days, a week at the most. Good luck I hope you get it back soon.
See Ya
Mike

This is exactly what I was warning Darin about. There is alot of margin between a rebuilt and a new one, right? Trust me Darin, they can go to either spectrum of the margin or they would not do the analysis. The key is that if you don't agree with the analysis, you can voice your opinon. Go as far up the ladder as you have to, remembering that you will get alot further being nice. It took John quite a bit of time on the phone, with quite a few people, and I don't remember him being an ass on the phone, he just believed he should be treated fairly. Assume they can and will give you a new one, which is the better end of the spectrum of margin!!

Good luck kiddo! We are pulling for you!

Something similar happened to me with my 1590. Welds kept cracking. They tried to fix it. Finally I called the head guy at Brush Bandit. A guy drove down from michigan with a new one for me to use. They took mine back, totally rebuilt/repaint and brought it back. Took over a month. I insisted on a chipper while they repaired. They came through. I had to bypass the local dealer. they wanted to string it a long:X

Something similar happened to me with my 1590. Welds kept cracking. They tried to fix it. Finally I called the head guy at Brush Bandit. A guy drove down from michigan with a new one for me to use. They took mine back, totally rebuilt/repaint and brought it back. Took over a month. I insisted on a chipper while they repaired. They came through. I had to bypass the local dealer. they wanted to string it a long:X

AWSOME! That is the kind of service that you have to expect and insist on.

Gigi Kohler is pretty good about warranty claims, they understand that this machine being down is costing someone money. My Kohler rep usually showed up in 2 to 3 days, I never had a claim refused. This engine is a canidate for a shortblock, just because the engineers would want to look this thing over and see if they have a bigger problem.
See Ya
Mike

This engine is a canidate for a shortblock, just because the engineers would want to look this thing over and see if they have a bigger problem.
See Ya
Mike

I agree, they should look at from every angle, for the betterment of the future design and all. It may take some time, to jump through the hoops, letting this one and that one give their opinion, but it will be worth it in the long run. You don't necessarily want to go for the quick fix if more evaluation will be better in the long run. No Bivy's situation went on for a month, but sounds like it was worth the wait. Darin, you are a patient man, so take your time and let them make it right.

My chipper does have a Murphy switch and it did shut off just a half second before it froze up.

We have a friend here who grows veggies. He just bought a brand new tractor $75,000.
The oil sending unit failed, the warning light failed, got an oil leak from the pan not being tightened properly at the factory and the tractor died.

They jerked him around for long enough so he lost a crop becouse they didn't believe he was owed a loaner.

Horror story that I hope doesn't happen to you. He had the tractor for less than a month

cat has a huge research and development plant/budget, most likely they will want it back even if all they find out is the filter manufacturer built a bad filter that came apart

Your chipper rocks Stehansen. I love to watch a well functioning chipper blow the mulch into the back of the truck. VRRRRRRRRRM!

That looks like it is making awsome mulch. Will you give it away?

Thanks Gigi! This time of year I will dump it in my walnut orchard and spread it out and disc it into the ground. Normally I would pay $7/load to dump it and it would then be reground and be recycled into cattle bedding. The thing I like about doing that is at the jobsite I don't have to separate any wood which is too large to chip I can just put it all in the truck together. There are some dairies locally which will take chips but then I would have to take my pickup or something along and separate the wood from the chips. As my stick waving compadre doesn't have a DL I usually just take the truck unless I have large amounts of wood to dispose of. On the off chance that the tree would be good firewood then I would do that but most of my removals seem to be cottonwood, modesto ash, fruitless mulberry and other trees that aren't very good firewood. That is my stepdaughter feeding the chipper.
Darin, when my chipper was down with the bearings out on the disk I went without rather than rent one also, as it was $250/day.

Back