Oldest Active Climber

I have slowed down a bit, since I went to city work with the bucket. Will be climbing in a couple weeks with Dave McNeil and Nick Bonner at our workshop here in Minot. Still enjoy it when I get the chance. Will turn 67 July 1. Had an instructor at Davey in 1967 who was 76 and still climbed occasionally. Shooting for at least that. Was in first redwood at age 62 with Franz and Willie. Will keep it up as long as it is fun and doesn't hurt too much.

Good thread Limbrat! Thanks. I've actually had this on the brain a ton lately, cause I moved up to six days a week about seven years ago, but only just bought my first house ONE year ago, so I've really been wondering how long I can keep this stuff up. God knows; but you guys are truly inspirational.

I retired nearly 2 years ago...so I quit the climbing gig then, at 58. Truth is, I'd long before that moved most of my aerial work to the instructor side. But keeping my hand in on production work now and then was important, to not lose touch with the world my students inhabited. Having a horribly bum right hip joint really cut into my abilities those last several years.

Now, with my new titanium hip, at 60 I'd be much better set to work a real climbing job than I was those years from about 53-58. But, retirement is SOOO sweet...an even better gig than climbing :D.

Yeah, Jack has my vote, and admiration.

I'll get on that thread soon...but frankly Stephen, you may be a bit too old for my advice to have much impact :(. Retirement planning takes many years, unless you have the luck to receive some bountiful windfall late in life...which negates the planning concept, doesn't it :).

I doubt I would be much good at just puttering around collecting retirement or being on permanent vacation. I think I will try to keep my hand in some sort of game until they torch the corpse.

That's a good idea though could be a bit tricky to achieve in the tree biz cuz so much of it has such a large physical component.

Building a retirement fund is stupid easy, duh. If you have the funds. That can be a bit of a challenge in this biz afaik.

IM sure its easy, but truthfully I dont know where to begin. I cant spare much, but I can sock away something. Maybe a few bucks each month? I dont know.

Time is the key. Amounts saved now build up big time given enough years. In this biz (and many others, no doubt) some years you have stuff to put away, some you don't, has been my experience. If folks have stuff to save every year, well then God bless them.

But save what you can. And get an IRA and or SEP, that will save some taxes. Ha I aint much of an investor unfortunately, but a long while ago I had an extra $1000 kicking around and I said damn it I'm gonna put it in reliable old yellow Caterpillar. And it has grown slowly and steadily ever since. It aint no Apple -straight to the moon- stock, but it is chugging along. 'Buy and hold' style.

No doubt folks here with strong financial acumen can chime in with a lot of brass tacks details and guidelines for you.

Retirement thread. I dig standing in the background watching the youngsters do their thing.

Now I have to say, for just about any age group in the business the skill level of the climbers today is much higher than it was 10-20 years ago. the internet, trade shows, and helmet cams have spread a wealth of knowledge and skill for all. I really dig the path it has taken. evolution in trade... I dreamed of suce things over 30 years ago.

for just about any age group in the business the skill level of the climbers today is much higher than it was 10-20 years ago. the internet, trade shows, and helmet cams have spread a wealth of knowledge and skill for all.

So, so true. I remember when I found Treebuzz, it was mind-blowing and compelling, getting insight into how other tree men all over the country/world do things. Utterly revolutionary.

Once you think you have it figured out, enter a TCC. The interaction with the rest of the climbers will really make things clearer. But do it before you are 47 years old!!!!!

Bob,

I can't thank you enough for putting together that climbing training event in Minot, North Dakota. I returned home with a much greater sense of confidence in my ability to tackle a job. It was my first chance to visit with other climbers and riggers. Wow....what a great way to spend a day in the trees. Thanks again, my friend.

P.S. The upgrade parts are now here for the sawmill. We'll get it up and running this coming weekend. We're installing a new set of professional blade guides along with a commercial cooling system for the blade. Our first test with it will be on some 22" Spruce logs that I harvested last week. Our next goal is to get that sawmill mounted atop a set of axles to make it portable. Once it's on wheels, we'll schedule a trip to Minot to make some lumber for you.

Joel

Back