Oh shoot, Wraptor troubles....

PCTREE

Treehouser
As many may know we utilize a Tanaka drill as the power plant for the Wraptor. The model we use is a bit obscure as it doesn't have reverse. Seems like we have bought out the available stock as Tanaka has just told us they won't have any more till Sept 1st.

SHOOT.

Our whole design is built around that drill, everything was going so smooth and now I guess its back to the drawing board, only 14 more Wraptors available in the current design :(:(:whine::whine::whine:

How many have you sold all told? Just curious.

I bought one from you about a year ago, haven't used it yet:/: I know, hard to believe. I'm not looking to get rid of it but if you needed one "NIB" to sell, I could get another one back later down the road, if that helps you at all.

Wonder about shipping the drills directly from here, Paul? Let me know if I can make enquiries. With the volume of those drills going to the states, they might be cheaper there compared to here, especially when adding the shipping. That's how it works often with goods produced here, in part also due to the complicated distribution network that goes on. Anyway, I'd be happy to ask.

....when Gregg Good got rolling Harken discontinued the winch model his faceplate was designed around...I think he has to order a dozen to get them now...maybe a minimum and you can

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Gregg has to have batches made in the hundreds. Cory thanks for the offer but we are talking about 50 units not 1, we have sold over 350 so far and it was just starting to gather steam. Frustrating to say the least. We will probably have to build gearboxes to go on Honda 4 stroke motors and then test them and then send them out and pay thousands to have them independently tested which we have already done with the current model.......

Jay, Im guessing they are not available over there either or they would just ship them....

Yes, given the volume that you buy, one would think that if they are available here, the people that you buy from would want to get them asap. I have a hell of a time trying to contact some entity at Tanaka. As you know, they got took over, but still put out the name on tools. Trying to get access to the people here involved with "Tanaka", has proven about impossible. What's the drill number again? Curious, do you know how the units you get normally go to the states, by surface or by air?

TED270PFL . No idea how they ship, I would assume in a container with a whole batch of other stuff. The volume I do is nothing to them, they don't give a hoot.

So the reverse model is different than the non-reverse in mounting up? A reversible Wraptor wouldn' have a lot of applicability to use, perhaps, but what about industrial purposes. Would a reverse cause a problem? Could it in any way be a benefit? I'm guessing not, as you're a crafty thinker.

Ace, down under was using a power ascender with a twist grip, that seemed more compact. You've presumably seen this? I think all else being equal (which it never is) that a more compact, possibly twist activated deal trigger might be nicer. Again, you've probably got your well thought out and tested reasoning.

I would think that the way the sheaves are designed, that a reverse may be catastrophic. If the sheaves did not slip, I would think that a motor with reverse may be a bigger expense.
Would that Honda have an oil sump Paul?

the Honda does have a sump so must be stored upright, however when in use it vaporizes the oil and blows it around the motor which enables it to be run at any angle.

Wraptors are designed to go up and do so very safely. When yo introduce the variable of being able to come down you loose many of the engineered fail safes. There are a lot of idiots out there and one would figure out how to get hurt.

As many may know we utilize a Tanaka drill as the power plant for the Wraptor. The model we use is a bit obscure as it doesn't have reverse. Seems like we have bought out the available stock as Tanaka has just told us they won't have any more till Sept 1st.

SHOOT.

Our whole design is built around that drill, everything was going so smooth and now I guess its back to the drawing board, only 14 more Wraptors available in the current design :(:(:whine::whine::whine:

I have been thinking about this problem. How about making a Wraptor gear box that is sold by itself and can mount to any gas drill that a person may already have?!?

the Honda does have a sump so must be stored upright, however when in use it vaporizes the oil and blows it around the motor which enables it to be run at any angle.

Honda info on the GX25 & 35
Full 360° "any-side-up" operation
Mini 4-Stroke Series

The innovative design of Honda’s Mini 4-Stroke engines allows them to be used and stored in any position for full 360° usability. Upright, sideways, even upside down – the Mini 4-Strokes will still run great.

An exclusive Honda rotary-slinger lubrication system keeps oil in a completely misted state and circulates it using pressure fluctuations generated by the movement of the piston.

Built-in passages effectively return the circulated oil to the oil reservoir from every part of the engine. An oil return port positioned in the center of the reservoir prevents oil from accidentally flowing into the combustion chamber.

Used and stored any position. :)

Good luck with the current problem, Paul..

Rather off topic, but my Wraptor, along with much more gear, was stolen by an ex employee junkie.... last October. It just showed up, on Craigslist, offered for sale by a legit arborist, who didn't know it was stolen. didn't know it was mine till I met with him. Had to pay $1100 to get it back, but it was worth it.

Wow I cannot believe any real arborist would sell their Wraptor let alone for $1100 !

Also cannot believe Cory has never used his:?

Back