Oh S### lanyard

I have just started using the Trango cinch with a light weight 10 mm Bee-line lanyard. Seems like it would work really well for an emergency release setup as it is still releasable under load. If it is a bad tree, just remove the stopper knot in the tail of your lanyard.

http://www.spadout.com/p/trango-cinch/

Dave

Yes, but if the tree is too large, it may rip the saddle in two!:|: Or, even worse, a person!

Now that would be a crappy way to go.:what:

Yes, but if the tree is too large, it may rip the saddle in two!:|: Or, even worse, a person!

Now that would be a crappy way to go.:what:

Kind of lost me there, Jamin. The whole idea of the Trango in a hazard situation is that you can lean back on it and trust it, so you can get you work done and yet still be able to release it smoothly and quickly if the tree gives way, splits, whatever.

Several of the suggestions here have been to rely on a weak link and the problem with the weak link is, How much do you trust it?

Also, the only times I have truly been surprised by a tree was when I was first learning. Everything else has been a matter of calculated degrees of risk. If the risk is too high, it really would be prudent to find a different method, rather than just blowing it off and saying "I have a release mechanism".

Dave

I can see why that would have been confusing. Sorry. Let me clarify. :|:

For example, I was working in a co-dominant tree removal. My T.I.P. was in the vertical leader and that was a sound spar to be tied into. The included bark introduced decay at the base of the tree (where the union of the co-dom was). The other spar was near 50 degrees and leaning over a shed, neighboring tree, and a fence. So, I decided to lightly climb onto the other spar and snap cut it down.

For the sake of the conversation, I lanyarded into my belt hoop on my pants. Hence, it was my "Oh shyt lanyard!"

So, if the spar decided it wanted to totally fall, when I was lanyarded into it, I could have been hurt badly. However, I took the precaution to simply have a break away lanyard.

That was also in my rookie days. No a days, I'd guy it up first (from the ground with my trusty throw line skills) and then "chunk it down.";)

That was also in my rookie days. No a days, I'd guy it up first (from the ground with my trusty throw line skills) and then "chunk it down.";)
------------------------------

Thats fine if you have something solid to tie your guy line to to stableize the tree!

Otherwise your back to some kind of release or break-a-way set up!

HC

Here are some pic. Wasn't able to post earlier because of the size of pic.

Its a modifyed 3-Ring parachute release system and it can release under heavye load with very little effort!

HC

Attachments

• IMG_0317-1.jpg
    IMG_0317-1.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0318-1.jpg
    IMG_0318-1.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 2
Here's 3 second video of it in action.

To release, just pull the red handle that is secured by a velcro sandwich onto the release. This helps reduce the potential of something snaging it releasing.

The Red handle is attached to the yellow cord.

When the handle/cord is pulled, it releases the white loop through the grommet and it allows the small ring to be released through the larger ring that releases the system from your saddles side "D" ring.

Its that simple and its fast.

This is my 2nd prototype and it also works very well but I'm sure there are better configuration that would be more practiclal.

HC

Attachments

• MVI_0331.jpg
    MVI_0331.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 44
I see I'm gonna have to figure out how to use my computer a little better before I can show this vid!

Sorry,

HC

Back