Oh S### lanyard

PCTREE

Treehouser
OK heres a silly little idea I had thought you guys could ridicule. Ok so Im sure we all do it and know we shouldnt. You know the too dead tree that you worry will fall over with you in it so you tie in to something else as a back up. As you are working the dead tree it occurs to you that if the tree fails you couldnt release your lanyard as it would be under tension. OK so heres my solution ( this might not be OSHA approved)

I need to remove the matal ring on the snap bail and put a piece of string in its place so its easier to pull.

Fire away

Attachments

• lanyard.jpg
    lanyard.jpg
    567.3 KB · Views: 16
  • snap.jpg
    snap.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 13
This has been discussed a couple times. Of all the ideas presented for a breakable link, my two favorites are the keychain carabiner or the throwline loop.

Or cable ties. I wouldn't want to have to rely on grabbing that 'lil string when the shit hits the fan.

I just take the stopper knot out of the end of my lanyard.

My old boss used to clip into either the little hammer hook on the carhart's or the belt loop stitching on his pants. Hold's you in but will break loose with any force.

jp:D

I like Butch and treeandsurfs idea. Shoulda done something like that last week.

It's called a snap halyard, would work..."fine' in this scenario. A larger pull-ball could be incorporated.

Snap halyards are available in strengths way stronger than the carabiners we use.

love
nick

I toyed around with a release system of my own a few years back. Butch even gave it a try as I remember!

Positioning Lanyard Emergency Three Ring-Release System ring a bell??? :/:

Time to get the camera out...maybe.

HC

Positioning Lanyard Emergency Three Ring-Release System ring a bell??? :/:

I remember the threads on AS a couple few years ago. I remember thinking, "this guy is nuts! he's gonna get someone killed!"

8)

Nowadays I could see myself incorporating a snap shackle into my lanyard, if the situation warranted it.

love
nick

I've used the snap schackle for a redirect. Though never thought of using it as a bail out. Kind of scary.

Though one time I did use my belt loop to snap into. because I figured the stem I was safetied around might split out. Man, what a ride I got,,, and it was free.

I remember a video of something like that at AS a while ago.
I'd cut my lanyard with my silky if I needed to. Something about a lanyard that's supposed to fall apart worries me, but I see and can understand the occasional need for one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
In the past I have always clipped my steel core lanyard into my acsesory loop on my weaver saddle. I think its rated at about 100-200lbs, never felt that comfortable leaning into it though. I too was taught to always keep your saw running and ready to cut in these situations but in reality it may be dicey cutting with it as you swing.........:O

Working storm damage scenarios there were times I really wanted an easy break away so I could bail out of the (usually hung-up) tree if it decided to go with me in it.

Instead I'd hold on to the tree with leg locks to do the cutting and safety to little branches I hoped would fail before anything else.

That's the way we have to do it because safety and liability laws wont allow the manufacture of a proven safe breakaway. We have to create our own for each friggin situation.

That's the way we have to do it because safety and liability laws wont allow the manufacture of a proven safe breakaway. We have to create our own for each friggin situation.
---------------------------------------------

So True !!!

At a TCIA show I attended a few years back, I spoke to the Petzel rep about the "3-Ring Release system" I made.

He liked it because it was small & would release under a heavey load. He also said that it would NEVER be approval for a couple of reasons:

1- There is no safety mech to prevent it from accidentaly releasing.

2- It goes against the industry because its designed to release a climber from a tree & not keep him secured to a tree.

3- Liability! No one would touch this tool because (in the words of the Petzel guy), its not Idiot-Proof!

As I mentioned a while ago, to get guys use to the concept of cutting away from a dangerous falling tree is like explaining to them how great a parachute would be before the parachute was invented!!!

HC

Sure,

I'll dig it up and get some pics & maybe a vid and post them tonight.

HC

I've had to cut my flipline before because a dead tree I was working in failed. It was scary how fast it all happened. In less than a second, I suddenly had several thousand pounds hanging off my saddle by the flipline, while I was still tied into a live tree nearby with my climbing line. I pulled out my chainsaw and cut that steelcore flipline as fast as I could, but that took awhile because of the steel cable. Now I just use a plain rope flipline on these kind of jobs, which I can cut much faster and easier if I have to.

I have just started using the Trango cinch with a light weight 10 mm Bee-line lanyard. Seems like it would work really well for an emergency release setup as it is still releasable under load. If it is a bad tree, just remove the stopper knot in the tail of your lanyard.

http://www.spadout.com/p/trango-cinch/

Dave

My old boss used to clip into either the little hammer hook on the carhart's or the belt loop stitching on his pants. Hold's you in but will break loose with any force.

jp:D

I've had to do that a couple of times. Both times I didn't like it either. But, a little adrenaline in the blood can be fun!
:dance:

Back