O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

I noticed that also. I cradle throw 90%+ of the time, and I wasn't excited seeing their solution, but it isn't something I've ever tried, so I reserved judgement. Glad to hear it worked well for you.

It would be a little fiddly, but you could hitch a ring above the unit for a cradle throw. Might even be able to put a ring on the unit itself, but that would be somewhat destructive.

new helmet :) will keep the old one around for conepicking.
There's this stuff here in the states we call soap. You should look into it. It's not big in France, or the rest of the developing world, for that matter. You could make it a thing there in Germany, may well take the country by storm.....trooper

Lolz das Helmut is filthy

OK I'll shtoppen now.

Speaking of which, I need to wash my helmet. Outside looks good enough, but the suspension could use a good cleaning. Maybe I'll do that today.

That's what I am thinking of trying
Speaking of which, I need to wash my helmet. Outside looks good enough, but the suspension could use a good cleaning. Maybe I'll do that today.
I do a pretty good job of keeping my helmet looking spiffy, however, I really would benefit from some new padding. Especially in the summer, when I sweat a lot and it starts to smell weird.

No real way around that. I wash mine roughly quarterly, with the four times clustered tighter around the warm weather season. I use water, and Dr Bronner soap to wash it. Massage into the textiles, especially the sweat band. Rinse and air dry thoroughly. When you're finished wearing the helmet, make sure it has good air circulation to dry out. Keep out of sunlight.

I do a pretty good job of keeping my helmet looking spiffy, however, I really would benefit from some new padding. Especially in the summer, when I sweat a lot and it starts to smell weird.
Always nice to have spiffy helmet, when not doing treework!

What bias?
Fat, out of shape guy doing a tree climbing YouTube thing for the stupid masses, and I point it out.......................................MASSIVE bias!
Absolutely MASSIVE!

Rinsing and drying your helmet (and cock) at the end of each day will keep it fresher than just stuffing it somewhere, especially without ventilation.

The backpack blower will dry it pretty well, I'd bet.

The helmet can be done without the help of a coworker.

Well this thread took a weird direction. Back on track
IMG_7701.jpeg
Big ole pin oak gat the power company has been whacking on forever. The gas company put new lines in and in order to replace the sidewalk and keep with ADA the tree has to go. Originally they wanted the roots ground out on the sidewalk side. Our guy refused that and then the city arborist demanded removal. It’ll be a two day job

Edit. Wrong thread but still a strange derailment

Last edited:
Speaking of "smelling weird" I wonder if some sort of natural anti microbial would help with that. Colloidal silver? Tea tree oil or rosemary oil if it didn't damage textile or cause skin irritation?

I keep my helmet in a cat food bag hanging in the back cab of the truck. The bag's mainly to keep sun off of it when it's not being used. The only time I notice the helmet smelling bad is when I've bagged it without drying it sufficiently. My main goal in washing is to get the crusty salt off the straps, and remove oils from the sweatband which don't feel so good, and I suspect may contribute to zits. A little ERC oil on the *back* side of the sweatband might be nice, but I really like ERC. A little goes a long way.

Speaking of "smelling weird" I wonder if some sort of natural anti microbial would help with that. Colloidal silver? Tea tree oil or rosemary oil if it didn't damage textile or cause skin irritation?
Usually the padding in most helmets is attached via some kind of Velcro (making them easy to wash), however, if it's not, one can always put the entire helmet in their washing machine (so long as it's surrounded with a load of clothing) with a detergent and then, once washed, it can be placed to dry either indoors next to a fan or outside in a shaded place. Not sure that using colloidal silver would really be necessary since the microbes have come from your own body and since, following a wash of the pads or the entire helmet, the helmet should be much cleaner, probably will not continue to smell, and any remaining microbes won't hurt you.

EDIT: If you have electronics in your helmet, obvious don't put it in the washer.

Last edited:
An nk b&c for my 2511 and a PrisonBlues hickory shirt...

IMG_20240408_183014633.jpg

I'm hoping for a performance boost from the b&c and the shirt is a replacement for my work shirt. Maybe... I could end up liking it too much to beatup at work. I rarely buy new clothes. Most of my stuff comes from the thriftshop, but I wanted to see what hickory shirts were about. I got long sleeve full buttons. I use a shirt like this as a jacket, and I want to be able to open the front for ventilation.

There has never, ever been a more comfortable, longer wearing, workplace appropriate garment than a proper hickory shirt. I wish you many a happy year with it, John @lxskllr. Prison Blues makes good stuff at decent prices, so it should be a great shirt.

Back