O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

I'm trying to streamline my mat movement to and from trailer/ deployment. Also trying to figure the least gear and energy intensive way to effectively avoid scorching lawns.
I am going to be mounting my forks to the trailer by adding some c channel pocket scabbard type thing I have to build.

MB used to say that, I just don’t see how.

The deep south has intense sun, and a black surface gets super super hot. Asphalt will be over 150 degrees in 90 degree heat, which is most the year there, so i bet those things get smoking hot.

Part of a day. I could handle them.

New grass seed down at the job the other day, when it was Sunny and 70, first warm day.

I flipped them over, to the side periodically, so it would be on the pavers, mulch, or new spot of grass.

We keep our two stacks on 4’ x 8’ pallets. Toss a tie-down strap through the pallet to keep the pile together; move them with the forks

I've scorched my lawn by leaving a piece of black plastic sheeting spread out on it to dry. Not that hot and not that long.

Try roofing a while and you’ll figure out quickly how hot shingles can get...and how fast scrap shingles dropped on a quality lawn can scorch spots in the grass.

The glory days of roofing... I can still smell the tar.
Sure miss the spud shovel for tear offs, and comp or shake... My dad was a roofer and it scared me to be a tree guy. I never saw a harness for 4 summers in high school.

Right on. Roofing is a rare old trade. These days you could make so much money in SF.

I would think Summer here is usually the coldest foggiest part of the year...

I worked inland from Concord to Walnut Creek to Livermore. I was 16 with the best drivers license driving the dump truck.. where I learned double clutching..

Last edited:
Something that works great for moving skids around was to use 2 skids to crib it up, then when you pick it up you just throw those 2 skids on top. A 4x4 cut at 4' long would be perfect. Same idea as the pallet but will last longer and is easier to store when in use, since you don't have a pallet. Also removes the likelihood of someone borrowing the pallet for something else and now you are trying to ram the forks under it on the street or something

Back