O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

The part on a grcs where you make a horizontal cut in the trunk, and it slides in there locking it from upward movement on the trunk.

Here's a pic of the visor alone. It attaches to the top rear of the GRCS, allowing you to saw a horizontal kerf into the trunk and insert it to prevent any vertical movement. Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 1.40.58 PM.png

That always seemed like a realy risky proposition to me. Sell a product that encorages people to make a horizontal cut in the trunk at the beginning of a removal that is going to be shock loaded a lot (hence need for said product). Hasnt anyone here ever taken down stupidly hollow trees? I understand you should Sound the tree during your inspection but a lot of dumb folks out there using these products. Just saying

I don’t use the GRCS on small trees. The visor only requires a ~3” deep cut. On a 36” trunk, that’s a non-issue to me. I get what you’re saying though.

I also hear Paul's point, but definitely agree with Scott's perspective.

If you can't figure out whether a bole is too compromised to take the anchoring kerf, you shouldn't be trying to do this work. Caveat emptor.

The Hobbs lowering device also had a plate attachment option that fit into a saw kerf cut. It did a fantastic job of stabilizing the bollard. No real down side, it just worked.

Wow, I consider myself to be a pretty ballsy individual but would be loathed to put a 3" cut into a lot of trees we do

Mind you we do get all the trees no one else wants....

I know where you’re coming from man.
I’ve worried about a few gaff marks compromising the integrity of a stem before.

You don't typically have to negative-rig down 1000# pieces on trees like that....at least I don't. Trees like that would be as questionable regarding whether or not they'd stand the shock-loading of negative blocking as they would standing a small saw kerf....

Nice haul from ebay today. It’s a tower rescue system with a bunch of goodies. I really bought it for the sweet little ISC biners with a 7:1 MA built in. The Petzl ID, the 200’ of 7/16 Bluewater kernmantle, anchor slings, and biners were a bonus. Looks all new, and was crazy cheap.
75156D02-9070-4DD3-9429-6CD426502EC6.jpeg B98C3DD7-50D6-48B5-88CA-457B8BFE294F.jpeg

I got some stuff today. Nothing exciting, and no amazing deals, but I'll be able to play around with some ideas. I want to setup a hitch tending system, and make some kind of 'tree grab' a la Buckingham TreeSqueeze. I guess my big excitement is the throwline turned out to be orange. Makes it easy separating it from my green line. Still waiting on another weight that's supposed to come later this week.

IMG_20200817_153654.jpg

Not stamped with a KN rating like most biners, they’re made for rescue pickoffs, so stamped with working load limit, “ WLL 140kgs/ 310lbs” Sounds kinda light but they are made for life support. I’m just gonna use them for pulling over leaning trees, maybe lifting. Neat little cam for progress capture too. I want longer rope on them but they’re skinny little sheaves, so I’ll probably find a 200’ piece of 1/4” polyester double braid, and just keep them ready to go. 731584D9-B1E3-4030-A2C6-E2F7D872AAA2.jpeg

Last edited:
You don't typically have to negative-rig down 1000# pieces on trees like that....at least I don't. Trees like that would be as questionable regarding whether or not they'd stand the shock-loading of negative blocking as they would standing a small saw kerf....
Can't hardly weight 1000# if they are hollow.
But I'll rig If I have to otherwise it's bombs away. Those trees were rigged accept for one of them.

Back