Numb hands

• Thread starter Will
  • Start date
  • Replies 62
  • Views 8K
W

Will

I know this is for tree health but: My hands have started to go numb at random times. Its like pins and needles but it wont go away. I was thinking chainsaw/motorcycle vibration. Anyone got a miracle cure?:?

you climbing on a blakes hitch? ICE your elbows and wrists.......vitamen I:D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Im on a VT mostly and its almost frozen here as it is!

When I rode my mtn bike almost daily iwas having that problem.....rest fo' awhile

It could well be a pinched nerve about mid-spine. First thing to try is a serious massage therapist... not the mamby pamby swedish massage types... deep massage by someone who knows backs.

Carpel Tunnel Syndrome? Vibration from chainsaw will make it worse. Do you ever wake up with your hands numb and/or painful?

Check your saws' anti-vibe mounts. They can and do get less effective as time goes on.

It could be caused by a lot of things.Swinging a hammer,climbing ,running a jack hammer,chainsaw .

On the old rigid mounted saws I used to lay on about 4 layers of rubber tape then 4 of Scotch #33 over that on the handles .It helped .

Actually the worst I ever got was extended trips on the old "widow maker " Harley chopper .Lucky it had a 2 gallon tank and you had to gas up about every 80 or so miles . Hands tingled so much I had to grip a cup of coffee with both hands .

Actually the worst I ever got was extended trips on the old "widow maker " Harley chopper .Lucky it had a 2 gallon tank and you had to gas up about every 80 or so miles . Hands tingled so much I had to grip a cup of coffee with both hands .

HA! Nice to hear that happened to someone else as well. I used to ride this old Ducati, the thing would vibrate me all to hell.
Got pulled over by this cop, and he accused me of being high because my hands were shaking.

I used to have the same symptoms. You need to go to Walmart get a cheep brace that keeps your wrist straight while you sleep.

Doing wrist curls while resting the forearms on a bench or table helped me greatly. 3 sets of 15.

Go easy at first or you could do more harm than good.
Yes, it sounds like Carpel Tunnel Syndrom.

Carpel Tunnel Syndrome? Vibration from chainsaw will make it worse. Do you ever wake up with your hands numb and/or painful?

That's what I was thinking. Ibuprofen or stuff like that will help temporarily, the hot water and then cold water will help also. Gloves too. The first time I got it I built a new fence in my back yard and I aggrevated things by tamping the posts in.

I suffer in the hands department. No way around it that I know of, lots of good advice so far. Hot and cold treatments, vitamin I. I never had much luck with braces, but maybe cause I couldn't stand wearing them either.

I have also had some success with deep massage to loosen my shoulders and forearms. I have found in order for the massage to be effective it must be extemely painful, like bad enough you really start to wonder why you put yourself through it. You need a good strong masseuse who knows what their doing otherwise I think you're just wasting time though.

When in doubt have another ibuprofen. :D

A lot of it has to do with the way we grip things .We do it in such a way we feel we must but not always in a good way ergonomically speaking,we just don't know any better .

Anybody have trouble with their thumbs? I think it is tendonitis in mine. If I use them to hard or give them a dose of impact, like using a slide hammer, I pay the price in pain. Learning my limits is about all have found that works. Anybody else?

Yes on the thumbs. Bad and they're weak or atleast I have to watch not to overexert them. I suspect it's a early arthritis setting in or some type of damage due to the years of numbness/lack of blood flow. But......I dunno fo sure.

Vitamin I is the wonder drug for me. A couple over coffee in the morning and I'm good to go.

I used to have the same symptoms. You need to go to Walmart get a cheep brace that keeps your wrist straight while you sleep.Doing wrist curls while resting the forearms on a bench or table helped me greatly. 3 sets of 15.Go easy at first or you could do more harm than good.Yes, it sounds like Carpel Tunnel Syndrom.
good point....nighttime numbness

When I was in my 20's I had numbness and white finger for years. It really affected my fly fishing on the rivers in the early mornings.

Found out years later that it was the way I slept. For some reason I tucked my hands under me. When I broke that habit the circulation came back and the numbness and white finger went away. Nearly 60 now and it's never been a problem since.

I hope it's as simple of a fix for you.

When I was in my 20's I had numbness and white finger for years. It really affected my fly fishing on the rivers in the early mornings.

Found out years later that it was the way I slept. For some reason I tucked my hands under me. When I broke that habit the circulation came back and the numbness and white finger went away. Nearly 60 now and it's never been a problem since.

mee too.

I was going to mention this, but I thought it was silly. For a few months recently, my elbows have been killing me during the day. I couldn't figure out why. One night before I fell asleep I noticed my arm underneath my head under the pillow....BINGO!

Had to rethink my sleeping process. :)

Back