Numb hands

• Thread starter Will
  • Start date
  • Replies 62
  • Views 8K
Must be why those guys on Axe Men use 30" bars to bump nubs. :roll:
Yes but those tough old buzzards in the 70's used a 125 Mac with a 48" to do it. Of course they are all cripled up now and on disabilty but so are the old hardtail Harley riders .

Yes but those tough old buzzards in the 70's used a 125 Mac with a 48" to do it. Of course they are all cripled up now and on disabilty but so are the old hardtail Harley riders .

From the hardtail, or from being hunched over working on 'em all the time? :D

I had problems with my left hand going numb on me for about 6 months, although it just stopped last month. I went to the doc and he said I was growing a tumor on my nerve in the elbow, most likely the result of running chainsaws a lot. He recommended surgery to remove the tumor, but said there was a 20% chance they might cut the nerve and cause permanent loss of feeling. He said if it worked it would just feel like my hand was immersed in icewater for the rest of my life. I said hell no and started figuring out other things I could do. I now use the anti-vibration gloves while running my saw. I also got a better handsaw that cuts with less effort. And most importantly I stopped sleeping with my hands on my chest (try to keep arms straight and blood flow improves). I never thought about the motor mounts for the saw - that might help even more.

I had problems with my left hand going numb on me for about 6 months, although it just stopped last month. I went to the doc and he said I was growing a tumor on my nerve in the elbow, most likely the result of running chainsaws a lot. He recommended surgery to remove the tumor, but said there was a 20% chance they might cut the nerve and cause permanent loss of feeling. He said if it worked it would just feel like my hand was immersed in icewater for the rest of my life. I said hell no and started figuring out other things I could do. I now use the anti-vibration gloves while running my saw. I also got a better handsaw that cuts with less effort. And most importantly I stopped sleeping with my hands on my chest (try to keep arms straight and blood flow improves). I never thought about the motor mounts for the saw - that might help even more.

Sean, you also might consider one of the newer Stihl designs with improved anti-vibe...361 or 441. I find my 361 very comfortable to run for even long periods. No help there for a climbing saw though :).

This carpal tunnel thing can affect a lot of people ,not just saw operaters .Carpenters,meat cutters ,assembly line workers even barbers .

In my sound odd but it affected typists and keybord operators before they came out with more ergonomic type keyboards . It appears though that it affects different people in different ways and some not at all .

Al, many people jumped on the 'carpel' bandwagon. As time went on, and more legit studies were done, It was proven that the actual percentage of people who were claiming workplace caused carpel tunnel claims were far lower than first reported.

Bad sentence, hope you get the jist of it...

I have had problems with wrists, hands going numb and shoulder pain in the past. As someone else said in an earlier post as soon as the saw goes dull i sharpen. changing sleeping position helped. i used to sleep on my hands and arms a lot which contributed, an osteopath suggested a thicker pillow. (suppose for alignment of the spine and nerves tec) I also take glucosamine supplements for the joints in general. not sure what the solution was but one of the changes seems to have done the trick. :lol:

It could well be a pinched nerve about mid-spine. First thing to try is a serious massage therapist... not the mamby pamby swedish massage types... deep massage by someone who knows backs.

I agree with Blinky.

Back in high school I had a wrestling injury. I had pinched nerves in my back which I loss feeling in my hands too. The x-ray found the problem and chiropractic work fixed me right up.

Al, many people jumped on the 'carpel' bandwagon. As time went on, and more legit studies were done, It was proven that the actual percentage of people who were claiming workplace caused carpel tunnel claims were far lower than first reported.

Bad sentence, hope you get the jist of it...
Carpal tunnel is a problem that absoluetly no body will give a straight answer to .If it were proven in a court of law that it is associated with non safe ergonomics practices it would bankrupt American busineses .In the mean time the wheels of commerce roll steadily on .

In other words it's a snow job on the workers .Typical of many I might add .

The American dream is to raise a family,live comfortable and retire with enough money to live a good life untill the roll is called up yonder .Being crippled for life is not in that dream .

Back